As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Character Screenshot Thread 8: Screenshot Harder

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tophu wrote: »
    EWom wrote: »

Holy shit, I can't remember which guild, but I am certain you were either in:
    Jaggedpine Defenders, Legions of Ragnarok, Vision, or shit, can't remember what the other would have been. On Solusek Ro, or possibly Ayonae Ro server?

Lmao, that's a SS of my Father's paladin. He was in both Jaggedpine Defenders and Vision.

I'm actually really surprised somebody recognized his character!

Yeah I was in both those guilds with him.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The rosiest of glasses. EQ is a terrible game.

It is now. Most/all of the MMOs on the market wouldn't exist without it, though.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EQ had the benefit of being a successor in a market with little to no competition.

I had fun playing EQ but I remember thinking the graphics were not great even then and the UI was terrible. It bothered me they couldn't come up with something better. And ya, some of the gameplay was bs and we knew it even then. We put up with it because, you know, that's all there was.

When you go to the all you can eat buffet and all they have is boiled cabbage that doesn't magically make it good just because you're starving and haven't eaten in three days. Sure you'll gobble it up because you're starving and there's nothing else but as soon as decent food arrives you realize just how bad a meal it really was.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I played EQ on my 486 pentium. I lagged so hard I couldn't ride up to Kelethin because i'd lag through the lifts and die.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had a computer with 16MB of RAM on it. Played EQ at low settings alright. upgraded to 32MB and noticed the improvement. EQ was the first PC game that had me upgrade my machine. This was back in '99, before Kunark.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    TophuTophu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had a computer with 16MB of RAM on it. Played EQ at low settings alright. upgraded to 32MB and noticed the improvement. EQ was the first PC game that had me upgrade my machine. This was back in '99, before Kunark.

Love your sig : )

While on the topic of EQ, all those who are interested in replaying, you're in luck (sort of). It may be a year or two before this gets finished, but it's coming -- slowly, but surely.

http://eqclassic.org/index.php

Tophu on
  • Options
    TophuTophu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Jaggedpine Defenders, Legions of Ragnarok, Vision, or shit, can't remember what the other would have been. On Solusek Ro, or possibly Ayonae Ro server?

Lmao, that's a SS of my Father's paladin. He was in both Jaggedpine Defenders and Vision.

What was your toon's name?

Tophu on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

What was your toon's name?

Greldek, Rokkeb, or Gntik

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    my 486 pentium

Wait, what? Isn't it usually one or the other, but not both?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    my 486 pentium

Yeah, there was a 486, and then you upgraded to a Pentium. 486 most certainly wasn't a Pentium. I would know, I had a 486 for far too long.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pentium 1 was like...60 MHZ, I think? 486 is like 40 so.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, it's not just the speed. There are 486 chips of different speeds and Pentium chips of different speeds, but they're completely different series, just as the 486s were more than just a speed upgrade from the 386.

But I think the "WoW will basically run on a toaster" claim does kinda fall apart back there, although whether being unable to run the game or being unable to run the minimum version of Windows comes first, I'm not sure.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Of course it seems horrible if you play it now and compare it to WoW. Go play Metal Gear on NES and see if you don't think it sucks compared to MGS4, etc. etc.

For the record, Metal Gear was a shitty game when it came out. So that's a pretty terrible example.

And it had nothing to do with the NES, there are still enjoyable games on the NES you could play today. MG is not one of them.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Of course it seems horrible if you play it now and compare it to WoW. Go play Metal Gear on NES and see if you don't think it sucks compared to MGS4, etc. etc.

For the record, Metal Gear was a shitty game when it came out. So that's a pretty terrible example.

And it had nothing to do with the NES, there are still enjoyable games on the NES you could play today. MG is not one of them.

That's just like, your opinion, man.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

That's just like....everyone's opinion.

It was dire.

And I played it before playing the Playstation one, too.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really have no idea what they are saying so I felt like saying it
    WoWScrnShot_060110_065000.jpg

Brainleech on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I find it hilarious that my current computer has 4 times more RAM then my first computer had Hard Drive space.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    my 486 pentium

Yeah, there was a 486, and then you upgraded to a Pentium. 486 most certainly wasn't a Pentium. I would know, I had a 486 for far too long.

Yup.

Pentium was also known as 586 (short for 80586)

But they didn't market it as 586, because they discovered they couldn't trademark 586 because it was a number. So they called it a Pentium.

The number scheme was a little less clear after that, since there was the 686, but I think that was only the Pentium Pro, and after that I have no idea.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I find it hilarious that my current computer has 4 times more RAM then my first computer had Hard Drive space.

Mine's 80 times. I feel old.

jackal on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    102x in my case. :lol:

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Uh, I have 4 gigs of RAM in this thing, my first PC had a 90 meg hard drive. Not going to do the math there, but thats a huge difference.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My first computer was a Commodore Vic 28 I think the thermostat for the oven has more computing power to it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    My first computer was a Commodore Vic 28 I think the thermostat for the oven has more computing power to it

My Mom's first computer, which technically was my first computer.

220px-Macintosh_128k_transparency.png

It still works too. Plays Pac-Man in black and white very well. And the start up sound always makes me smile. I briefly used it as a bedside table at my old house.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's the first computer I ever used. Played Prince of Persia on it.

Actually, when I played the original game again in Sands of Time, I was shocked that its in color. :P

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    IBM_PCjr_System_1.jpg

Parent's Computer -- had it growing up. Had a basic cartridge in the front.

All the games were on floppy disks.

The computer I consider to be "my" first computer was a desktop built by a local computer company. It had a 1gig hard drive. I remember asking my parents for an I-Omega Zip drive.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Most kids don't remember floppy, floppies. When you actually show them a floppy disk they go "OHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I get it."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    whatever you do, don't copy that floppy.
    rapper_large.jpg

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Most kids don't remember floppy, floppies. When you actually show them a floppy disk they go "OHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I get it."

Do kids even remember those shitty 3.5 floppies? That crap's been obsolete for over a decade now, too.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Do kids even remember those shitty 3.5 floppies? That crap's been obsolete for over a decade now, too.

My boss and I were going through an old storage office for our department and found a huuuuuuge case full of 3.5 floppies.

She looked at me and asked if we needed to keep them then replied, "Our office computers don't even have floppy drives anymore..."

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I bought an IOmega zip drive in college. It was awesome at the time because I bought 5 cartridges so I had about a gig or "portable" storage when everyone else had to floppies. By the time I graduated usb thumb drives had come out, so I only got a year or two use out of the zip drives.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You'd be really surprised at how many people still have Pentium 2s with windows95.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You'd be really surprised at how many people still have Pentium 2s with windows95.

My Dad's work computer from his old home business is a Pentium 2 with Windows 95. Goddamn thing's a dinosaur. Whenever I go near it I get an aura of lag coming off it that repulses me away.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

My Dad's work computer from his old home business is a Pentium 2 with Windows 95. Goddamn thing's a dinosaur. Whenever I go near it I get an aura of lag coming off it that repulses me away.

My father in law had a pentium two with Windows 98 until he bought a Mac a couple years ago. He kept going on and on about how much better macs were. He didn't get why it wasn't a fair comparison.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jesus Christ that's like comparing a Model T to the Space Shuttle.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jesus Christ that's like comparing a Model T to the Space Shuttle.

Pretty much. Modern PCs and Macs are pretty on par which each other with certain aspects of their functionality and design excelling over the other. Comparing ethier of these with previous versions of ethier one is a silly comparison.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ti994-monitor.jpg

My first computer. BASIC, baby. I made mine sing "O Tannenbaum".

Tach on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Same here. Also had TI LOGO and TI Extended BASIC, though I can't recall what exactly the Extended version did. We had it hooked up to the big box that could fit expansion cards and the 5.25" floppy drive, and also had a tape drive and a dot matrix printer for it too. I taught myself to type on that thing at age 3.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My darkness character, Slipstream (who is a dimensional traveler as his backstory). Not as photogenic as my celestial, but I wanted to show off the cool dark aura.

th_Slipstream2.jpg

Darkness is a very strong set. It gets it's set-defining attack, Grasping Shadows very early on (a brutal frontal cone aoe that you can move while maintaining! Run circles around the enemy while they are melted) it has an offensive passive which buffs all dimensional, ego, and magical damage which gives the set great synergy with telepathy, telekinesis, celestial, and sorcery powers as well as having one of the best holds in the game and most dark powers debuff with a fear effect (very handy).

th_Slipstream.jpg

Easily the fastest leveling character I've made to date, even including my disgustingly overpowered Electrical toon (who loses out based on the fact that leveling electricity prior to getting Gigabolt is slow).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So like, someone should stop me if my pics are annoying. Anyway, this is Killdozer my might toon. He's a Canadian superhero. Hence the maple leaf motif.

th_killdozer2.jpg

Over a defeated foe.

th_Killdozer.jpg

Beating the fuck out of the supervillain Psi-Mon

th_killdozer3.jpg

Extreme close-up of Killdozer's cyberfist (and some poor Psi-Inc minion who is about to have a very bad day/well-ventilated brain matter).

Might is an incredibly powerful and versatile set since the melee patch. With defiance, in the Guardian or Protector set a Might toon is an outstanding tank. In Brawler role with the Unstoppable passive the might toon is a nearly invincible engine of ultra-violence and death. I solo supervillains (ie. bosses) on all my characters, but none blow through a supervillain with the ruthless efficiency of Killdozer. Even my Electricity and Darkness characters need to pay some attention to positioning, and do some fancy footwork to stay alive. Not Killdozer; he just rolls in and starts punching and shit is dead.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    :^: I like killdozer.

bowen on
This discussion has been closed.