As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sci-fi for someone who doesn't like sci-fi

SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've set myself the challenge of finding a sci-fi novel that my wife would enjoy. My theory is, sci-fi isn't really a genre so much as a setting for other genres, ergo there is no one who can simply not like sci-fi, because if they like some genre of fiction, then there's sci-fi that falls into that category.

Mostly she reads detective novels and thrillers. Ian Rankin, stuff like that. But really, she will read a book if it is good, so the book I choose doesn't have to be 'detective novel in SPAAAAACE!'

'Hard' sci-fi is right out for now. I think it best to avoid space opera stuff as well, she isn't really into pew pew. Nothing too nerdy like star trek, she doesn't want to read about a universe full of different alien species who are just transparent analogies for racial stereotypes and bullshit pretend-science plot devices (who does?).

There are lots of great books that I think she could really enjoy if she opens up to the sci-fi genre, but the first book needs to be a trust-gainer. It's needs to tread the line between being exciting and engaging without requiring prior sci-fi experience to fully comprehend and appreciate.

Recommendations go!

Szechuanosaurus on

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Detectives in space?

Ubik (Philip K Dick) isn't quiiiite that, but it IS mysteries and craziness and murder plots (in space). So long as she can get through the first 5 pages (a complete barrage of weird terminology) the rest of the book is pure gold.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's been a long time since I've read them, so I can't remember how weird the plots get, but I remember liking a few of the Stainless Steel Rat books, about a con man in space.

Scooter on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Katherine Kerr did a couple of novels, Polar City Blues and Polar City Nightmare, that are basically police procedurals in an SF environment. They're not very techy at all, and really quite neat.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this might not be the most sterling example for a first time, but if she does get in to it, try Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. It's a mix of noir and cyberpunk in the twenty-fourth century.

Or you could just be adventurous and try it out immediately, I suppose

Iriah on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1984. 1984! It's not a detective novel, but it's great.

I was going to suggest Altered Carbon, but it really is hard science fiction and probably not what she would like. I'll have to think about it.

Flay on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    *vom*

if she's got any taste, Morgan will drive her away for good. Amoral, soulless tripe.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad someone else recommended Altered Carbon, cause otherwise that would have ben the third time in a week I mentioned that book. But yeah, if you think she might like Blade Runner, there's a chance that she'll enjoy Altered Carbon.

Though be warn, some people are put off by the sex scenes and violence.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    it's called 'character development'

edit: uh, not the sex and violence.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A collection of decent short science-fiction stories might be a good place to start. You might be able to find out what she likes that way without her reading an entire novel.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nuh uh, not going to suggest Richard Morgan. That would basically end the experiment I'm fairly certain :)

Getting off the detective stuff, what's The Handmaid's Tale like? I enjoy dystopia myself and it's one I've been meaning to read. How accessible is it to a non-scfi fan? I wonder if maybe 'near-future' scifi is the best route to go? Or classics like Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 that are basically just classic literature, never mind classic scifi.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    A collection of decent short science-fiction stories might be a good place to start. You might be able to find out what she likes that way without her reading an entire novel.

That's an interesting idea. I have a few collections of specific authors - Philip K. Dick, JG Ballard etc. - but are there books that are collections of short stories from a variety of major sci-fi authors in one book?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I haven't read it myself, but how about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?

EDIT: I thought of Night Watch, but that's only slightly science-fiction, mostly fantasy.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That's an interesting idea. I have a few collections of specific authors - Philip K. Dick, JG Ballard etc. - but are there books that are collections of short stories from a variety of major sci-fi authors in one book?

Sure. Every time I go to a library I see a few 'best science-fiction short stories of *certain year* or *certain nationality*' or the like.

EDIT: Alternatively... Find them online.

Flay on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really enjoyed "The Host" by stephanie meyer (significantly better writing in this book than in her twilight series, imho) and I'm not a terribly big sci fi geek, I prefer my fantasy novels

ihmmy on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nuh uh, not going to suggest Richard Morgan. That would basically end the experiment I'm fairly certain :)

Getting off the detective stuff, what's The Handmaid's Tale like? I enjoy dystopia myself and it's one I've been meaning to read. How accessible is it to a non-scfi fan? I wonder if maybe 'near-future' scifi is the best route to go? Or classics like Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 that are basically just classic literature, never mind classic scifi.
    The Handmaid's Tale is fantastic. Very bleak, but well done.

In a similar vein, you may want to (have her) check out Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's very light on the science fiction elements, but it's about cloning and organ transplants. I suppose it wouldn't be entirely her thing since it's not really a mystery, though she may enjoy the sort of twist it has.

Grid System on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know I'm going to sound like a broken record for suggesting Asimov in every book thread but the Robot Series is pretty much detective novels in the future/space, and he also wrote a series of short mystery stories called the Black Widowers.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, I wonder if any editions of the Black Widowers doesn't have a spider on the front cover. She's extremely arachnophobic.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I remember it being on most of them, but Amazon shows it isn't on the cover of Puzzles of the Black Widowers

Usagi on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't read it myself, but how about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?

EDIT: I thought of Night Watch, but that's only slightly science-fiction, mostly fantasy.

I've read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and it was good, as much of a comedy as a detective book.

There is an air of mystery to the foundation series by asimove, I would recommend it under "good science fiction" in any event.

Dman on
  • Options
    Bigtoy_JBigtoy_J Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe this is a bit much, but I would suggest "Earth" by David Brin. If that is a tad big go for one of his earlier novels. The Practice Effect is a good opening book of his.

Bigtoy_J on
    Love George Bernard Shaw quotations.

Also, I can count to "boat".
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    they cyberpunk stuff by William Gibson is excellent... it doesn't focus on the sci fi element, it just takes the setting for granted, making it easy to read

illig on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hi,

There is novel by Isaac Asimov called The End of Eternity, that maybe she could enjoy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_Eternity

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Going for something that tackles time travel is tempting. It's an area that she's always asking me to clarify when we watch films and TV shows that deal with it and the different time paradoxes that time travel fiction tends to result in. A novel written by someone like Asimov could help clarify some of the 'theories' of time travel. On the other hand, it might just put her off before we even get the ball rolling.

Cyberpunk isn't high on my list of possibles and definitely not Gibson. Far to abstract and assumed knowledge requirement is too high. The closest I might consider would be Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson, most of which is quite accessible although it occasionally veers of into WTF?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Definitely The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon, Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem, and Spook Country by William Gibson.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cyberpunk isn't high on my list of possibles and definitely not Gibson. Far to abstract and assumed knowledge requirement is too high. The closest I might consider would be Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson, most of which is quite accessible although it occasionally veers of into WTF?

i think you're missing the point of Gibson's writing. he doesn't require previous knowledge, he just speaks as if he was describing the situation to a contemporary... and that's part of the fun... you have to infer the meaning of some words, situations, etc. which i think your detective SO would enjoy

in my experience, the part of Sci-Fi disliked by most is the overly technical explanations of common contemporary items... it's as if every time you spoke of a car you also said "which is a four wheel, internal combustion engine powered conveyance"...

illig on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh hey, I forgot one that I also rec'd in the other thread - the Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny. It's more fantasy than scifi, but the individual books are very quick reads and extremely entertaining.

Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, 1984 by Orwell, Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut and Dune by Herbert aren't hard scifi but might be good intros into the genre. Strangers in a Strange Land and Starship Troopers by Heinlein and 2001: A Space Odyssey are just fantastic but may put her off if you try them first.

And I'm sure I'll think of more, I'm a terrible scifi addict

Usagi on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Try giving her The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth by Roger Zelazny. Collection of short stories, very, very good, and all very different.

Actually, Amber would probably be a good choice too, since the first book, Nine Princes in Amber, reads like a detective story.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    'Hard' sci-fi is right out for now. I think it best to avoid space opera stuff as well, she isn't really into pew pew. Nothing too nerdy like star trek, she doesn't want to read about a universe full of different alien species who are just transparent analogies for racial stereotypes and bullshit pretend-science plot devices (who does?).

How about Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds? The other books in the Inhibitor series are pretty damn hard, but Chasm City is more of a noir-themed deal.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons is another one I like to recommend for people new to sci-fi.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    illig wrote: »

i think you're missing the point of Gibson's writing. he doesn't require previous knowledge, he just speaks as if he was describing the situation to a contemporary... and that's part of the fun... you have to infer the meaning of some words, situations, etc. which i think your detective SO would enjoy

in my experience, the part of Sci-Fi disliked by most is the overly technical explanations of common contemporary items... it's as if every time you spoke of a car you also said "which is a four wheel, internal combustion engine powered conveyance"...

It's a fair argument, but it can just as easily go the other way - pages and pages of incomprehensible prose making reference to technology and circumstances which the reader is unable to decipher and thus can't access the actual story.

I mean, consider a word such as nanotechnology. To you or I the word conjures up several notions and ideas, a general background understanding of what it is and how it has been used as a plot device in several novels. We have history with the word. To her, it is possible that she wouldn't even know if it is a legitimate science or just star trek bullshit, let alone have a fleshed out understanding of the word to bring to a novel.

I agree with you completely that she would dislike a novel that focuses too much on technical explanations though, indeed she has intimated as much, but likewise she isn't going to enjoy a novel which is completely incomprehensible. I think the most likely culprit is going to be something that is either an alternate history novel like The Yiddish Policeman's Union, set in a contemporary if parallel timeline or a near-future speculative fiction novel where things are familiar enough not to require lengthy technical explanations.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erm, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but my stock sci-fi recommendation for people who don't like sci-fi:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

While a lot of other sci-fi books are great, the ramp up to speed on some of them (Gibson, for example) can be pretty daunting to non sci-fi readers. I've actually recommended/had about 8 friends who don't read much or don't read sci-fi at all read Ender's Game and say that they were surprised to find that they really liked it. Just don't let her read any of his other books.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I agree with you completely that she would dislike a novel that focuses too much on technical explanations though, indeed she has intimated as much, but likewise she isn't going to enjoy a novel which is completely incomprehensible.

i dont' think you're giving your SO enough credit... but i'll leave it at that ;-)

illig on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Ender's Game is one I'm considering. I mean, it's just really good.

And Hyperion. Wow, I hadn't been considering that but...it'd be real in at the deep end stuff, but if she could stay afloat long enough for it to hook her in...

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    EvocatiEvocati Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Echo wrote: »

How about Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds? The other books in the Inhibitor series are pretty damn hard, but Chasm City is more of a noir-themed deal.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons is another one I like to recommend for people new to sci-fi.

The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds might be a bit easier to start with. Its tied into the same universe, but has some detective/police elements.

Some of Heinlein's work could be good. Stranger in a Strange Land comes to mind.

Evocati on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    illig wrote: »

I agree with you completely that she would dislike a novel that focuses too much on technical explanations though, indeed she has intimated as much, but likewise she isn't going to enjoy a novel which is completely incomprehensible.

i dont' think you're giving your SO enough credit... but i'll leave it at that ;-)

Well, yeah, I'm kind of conscious about not making out like I think she's dumb, because she certainly isn't. But this is more an issue of context and culture. And, well, I think I have enough of a feel of what she is and isn't comfortable with in general fiction.

I think actually what I need to do is a book-swap. We broadly share similar taste in TV and films but our book reading is very segregated. I suppose if I read some of the books she has enjoyed then I'd have a better idea of what sci-fi would and wouldn't fit with her.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Handmaid's Tale is fantastic. Very bleak, but well done.

In a similar vein, you may want to (have her) check out Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's very light on the science fiction elements, but it's about cloning and organ transplants. I suppose it wouldn't be entirely her thing since it's not really a mystery, though she may enjoy the sort of twist it has.

:^:

Both of these were on a reading list for one of my English classes in college, along with We and Brave New World, which also might fit this thread. Best class ever.

Also, Philip K Dick has several detective type novels and short stories. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and "The Minority Report" come to mind.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, Never Let Me Go had tears welling up just reading the wikipedia synopsis.

I'm very tempted to go for something bleak and dystopian just for the huge emotional hook, but that might run the risk of her deciding she never wants to read sci-fi again because it's too depressing.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Evocati wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds might be a bit easier to start with. Its tied into the same universe, but has some detective/police elements.

Some of Heinlein's work could be good. Stranger in a Strange Land comes to mind.
    Man, I liked The Prefect, and I loved Hyperion, but they are totally not the right books for people who don't like science fiction. They're packed full of robots, spaceships, and jargon. If she's anything like my girlfriend, Szech's lady is going to be confronted with these and glaze right over. Some people just aren't into that stuff. They can still appreciate some SF, but not if you throw them right into the deep end.

Vonnegut was a great suggestion, and I wish I'd remembered him. The best place to start would be his short story collection, Welcome to the Monkey House. It has a good mix of stories.

You could also look into post-apocalyptic SF, like John Wyndham's stuff. Though in the interests of full disclosure, I gave my girlfriend The Day of the Triffids to try and she wasn't wild about it. The Chrysalids might be a better place to start.

Grid System on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Never Let Me Go was fantastic, but so, so depressing. I mean . . .
    . . . the highest goal of the main characters wasn't even to escape being killed for their organs, it was to have it put off for five years. And then they didn't even get that.

But it was a very accessible book for someone who isn't a sci-fi buff. There wasn't really any new technology, no flying cars or faster-than-light engines, society was about the same as it is in real life, except for the cloning aspect. It would probably be a good choice providing she doesn't mind very sad, bleak books. And books with more of a personal story than an action story.

LadyM on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I'm glad someone else recommended Altered Carbon, cause otherwise that would have ben the third time in a week I mentioned that book. But yeah, if you think she might like Blade Runner, there's a chance that she'll enjoy Altered Carbon.

Though be warn, some people are put off by the sex scenes and violence.

What about sci-fi with extra sex scenes and violence? :winky:

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the Hitchhiker books are really easy to get into, might not be everyone's cup of tea though.

KalTorak on