As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XBLA]Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now Available on Steam!!!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome. That sounds like a whole heapin' pile of content. I was worried they were going to chop up any extras into piecemeal packages to nickle and dime us to death but three decks is a significant lump of play time.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is excellent because Tezzerets deck seemed really interesting.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A forfeit option is badly needed so yay for the update. I basically gave up on playing with randoms as almost everyone quits just before you win. I hope this means any kind of disconnect gives you the win (and your card unlock!).

Cullen on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cullen wrote: »
    A forfeit option is badly needed so yay for the update. I basically gave up on playing with randoms as almost everyone quits just before you win. I hope this means any kind of disconnect gives you the win (and your card unlock!).

i found hosting your own matches greatly alleviates this for some strange reason. Though i've only played like, goh, 10-ish matches?

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    An expansion?

It begins, just hook up the IV.

Note: this is not a complaint.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm looking forward to them fixing the goddamn freezing. I'm usually digging on some two headed giant with my friend after a couple of beers, only to have like a 25% success rate of loading, mileage is way worse if any multi-colored decks are involved.

Oh and I'd imagine the Blue/Black deck is Tezzeret's deck. Rumors say a Blue/White and Red/Green deck. And,
    Nicol Bolas is the new boss, but I'm not holding much water to that one.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hm.. I just picked this up, and the website is claiming that my code is invalid. Did the Garruk promotion end or something?

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm looking forward to them fixing the goddamn freezing. I'm usually digging on some two headed giant with my friend after a couple of beers, only to have like a 25% success rate of loading, mileage is way worse if any multi-colored decks are involved.

Oh and I'd imagine the Blue/Black deck is Tezzeret's deck. Rumors say a Blue/White and Red/Green deck. And,
    Nicol Bolas is the new boss, but I'm not holding much water to that one.

That could really suck to play against. Also:
    286.jpg va 10.jpg

I think I prefer his old art.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Me too.
    But maybe I'm biased because I owned him. And most of the other Elder Dragon Legends.
    Look at that motherfucker! He has personality. And he reads books.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I agree the old art is much cooler.

and oh that is the Nicol Bolas that is supposed to be the new boss.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I agree the old art is much cooler.

and oh that is the Nicol Bolas that is supposed to be the new boss.

I'd like a picture of the new Nicol Bolas reading books. Trying to turn tiny pages with his titanic claws.

Edit:
    Alliteration, go!

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/101409a

Expansion coming in a week. 400 points for:

* Three new playable decks, including Tezzeret’s “Relics of Doom” Planeswalker deck
    * Three new unlockable cards for each of the eight original decks
    * New Two-Headed Giant co-op levels
    * Three new puzzling challenge levels

Huxley on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Huxley wrote: »
    http://wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/101409a

Expansion coming in a week. 400 points for:

* Three new playable decks, including Tezzeret’s “Relics of Doom” Planeswalker deck
    * Three new unlockable cards for each of the eight original decks
    * New Two-Headed Giant co-op levels
    * Three new puzzling challenge levels

Also the patch came that added conceding the game and fixed the freezes apparently. Deck choice is also hidden from your opponents.

Brian on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh. Man.

This is going to make the game playable again! YAY!

Color me excited.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Oh. Man.

This is going to make the game playable again! YAY!

Color me (R).

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome, I just finished unlocking all the cards. Stupid crappy blue deck.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome. I Picked up the patch last night and hope the dlc is good next week.

Has anyone 200/200'd this yet?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm working on it. I need to win online 5 times and win 3 ranked still. :(

Arikado on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, hold up... the patch that makes the game playable online again (and should have beein there from the start) is a part of the DLC that you have to pay for?

Fuck that.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't see where that is stated.

Arikado on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, hold up... the patch that makes the game playable online again (and should have beein there from the start) is a part of the DLC that you have to pay for?

Fuck that.

No it's not. Do you not see my post above where I said I downloaded the patch last night and am looking forward to the dlc next week?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The one freeze glitch I still get is responding to a targeted removal (Unsummon, Shock, etc.) on my Elvish Piper with her tap ability.

Arikado on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Fuck that.

No it's not. Do you not see my post above where I said I downloaded the patch last night and am looking forward to the dlc next week?

I can't read or write.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    These two patched changes make online play infinity times better. I await the DLC eagerly. I especially like the incentive to revisit the older decks again.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So the DLC dropped today, eh? Can't wait to try it when I get home.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tomorrow according to the link, and I'm not seeing it on the store.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Any spoilers as to what the new cords for existing decks are?

I think the black deck needs more indirect damage.

Say, Pestilence (which I am not even sure was ever reprinted).

chamberlain on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not a big XBLA guy -- when does the store update for Wednesday: midnight or more like tomorrow afternoon sometime?

Huxley on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Generally it updates in the early morning like 2 or 3 am.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's up! (on the website at least). Queued for when I get home.

I'm sure I'd read it was 500 points so finding it's 400 is a nice surprise. There's a free download required for people to multiplay with expansion buyers.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just got it now. Beat the first two dudes to unlock the relic and a weird red/green deck. Couple of starting decklists:

Relics of Doom - (Black/Blue) 15 cards to unlock
    Master of Etherium x 1
    Leonin Scimitar x 1
    Bottle Gnomes x 4
    Alpha Myr x 2
    Sharding Sphinx x 1
    Fountain of Youth x 2
    Onyx Goblet x 2
    Tidehollow Strix x 2
    Glaze Fiend x 4
    Ornithophters x 2
    Wall of Spears x 2
    Howling Mine x 4
    Cancel x 4
    Terror x 4

Cries of Rage (Red/Green) - 17 cards to unlock
    Mudbutton Torchrunner x 2
    Giant Growth x 2
    Naturalize x 2
    Incinerate x 2
    Rip-Clan Crasher x 4
    Bramblewood Paragon x 2
    Oakgnarl Warrior x 2
    Cloudcrown Oak x 4
    Elvish Warrior x 4
    Lava Axe x 2
    Axegrinder Giant x 2
    Jagged Lightning x 2
    Goblin Piker x 4
    Sangrite Surge x 2

Mine of Void (Blue/White) - 14 cards to unlock
    Denizen of the Deep x 2
    Traumatize x 2
    Kiss of the Amesha x 3
    Mahamoti Djinn x 2
    Condemn x 4
    Wall of Air x 2
    Dispeller's Capsule x 2
    Memory Erosion x 4
    Dream Fracture x 3
    Air Elemental x 4
    Cancel x 3
    Persuasion x 4

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    These two patched changes make online play infinity times better. I await the DLC eagerly. I especially like the incentive to revisit the older decks again.

Agreed. I've actually won some ranked games now! In fact I've had a few easy card unlocks due to a few people conceding early when they got mana screwed. Much more pleasant than the frustration fest it was before. I'll be queuing up the DLC shortly.

I tried the co-op campaign with a real live friend the other week and its a blast. Co-ordinating strategy is good fun. I'll have to try it online once I'm done.

EDIT: WOW there is a free multi-player only version of the DLC for those who just want to play online but remain competitive with the new decks. That's a very nice touch - one of paper Magic's problems has been leaving people behind when new expansions came out. I had a number of friend quit when Ice Age came out (god that was 14 years ago!) as they didn't want to fork out the extra cash to remain competitive.

EDIT2: reading the full description it doesn't actually say you get access to the new decks - its just required for playing people who have them. Hmmm perhaps not as amazing as I thought...

Cullen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I enjoyed dicking people around with the previous blue deck but I love dicking people around with new deck designed to run out people's libraries.

People just don't get it and happily kill themselves for you! One guy kept throwing out howling mines! That's right, hasten your doom pal.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    who the hell makes these decks. why is denizen of the deep in a deck with 4 persuasions. why is traumatize and memory erosion randomly thrown in u/w control.

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    JeffH wrote: »
    who the hell makes these decks. why is denizen of the deep in a deck with 4 persuasions. why is traumatize and memory erosion randomly thrown in u/w control.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could remove the default cards and swap in some of the unlocks.

Cullen on
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My favorite retarded card choice in the schizophrenic U/W deck is Condemn. Because putting more cards in your opponent's library is the best way to mill them out, right?

It's also ridiculously amusing that Jace is supposed to be some kind of genius and both of his decks have card choices that can only be explained by a scenario involving rabid monkeys.

Then the weirdest thing is that the horribly designed deck somehow seems to be pretty balanced with the others and I just can't wrap my mind around that

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »
    My favorite retarded card choice in the schizophrenic U/W deck is Condemn. Because putting more cards in your opponent's library is the best way to mill them out, right?

It's also ridiculously amusing that Jace is supposed to be some kind of genius and both of his decks have card choices that can only be explained by a scenario involving rabid monkeys.

Then the weirdest thing is that the horribly designed deck somehow seems to be pretty balanced with the others and I just can't wrap my mind around that

I dunno, Condemn works quite well. You don't care in the slightest that you're adding to their life total, and one extra card in their library really doesn't hold back the mill that much. A single W for instant creature removal helps the complete cockblock wall you're trying to maintain very well.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »

I dunno, Condemn works quite well. You don't care in the slightest that you're adding to their life total, and one extra card in their library really doesn't hold back the mill that much. A single W for instant creature removal helps the complete cockblock wall you're trying to maintain very well.

Yeah, one more card is pretty insignificant in well run mill deck.

And the decks are schizophrenic for a reason I think. The goal is to expose people to magic and so they have a wide spread of abilities to show people various archetypes. I sort of wish they would revise some of the old decks though when they added new archetypes. Like IIRC the original blue deck has a random mill card thrown in. They could probably swap that out now that there is a deck whose entire theme is milling/control.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah memory erosion in the mono-blue deck is a wasted card, especially with only one. It could actually end up benefitting the elf deck by getting more elves into the graveyard for the life gain ability of one of the weenies. I used to get annoyed if I ever drew it and would just keep it in hand with two open islands to psyche out my opponent.

Speaking of which why do a lot of players play lands in late-game, when they've already got 10 out? Keep them in your hand and make my think you've got a Giant Growth or Unsummon or something. I've beaten about 5 players this week where I could safely all out attack because they had empty hands.

Cullen on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The U/W deck is actually the hardest I've played against, both vs. the AI and in Ranked Play (where EVERYONE has been playing with it so far...). Persuasion and Condemn each piss me off to NO end. I don't care about the library run as much.

I beat the AI using the Black deck (discarding and small critters) and I beat an opponent using my current playdeck Scales of Fury or whatever (R/G/B with dragons and such). But in general that's a REALLY poor choice to be using now, since getting my Shivans persuaded is fuckin' bullshit. :)

I'll probably either stay out of ranked play for a while or switch decks. I'm 1-2 against it with my current deck, and that was probably luck of the draw.

It's just like how everyone was playing that damn elf deck in the first game, so I rolled with Black to kill their damn elves and make them discard everything.

I'm Pixillate if people wanna play.

Strato on