As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Newbie Phallas - GAME OVER - Cheaters / Honest Students Victories

1323334353638»

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll just mention that there were a few roles that I was expecting that didn't show up.

Bus Driver - One of the easiest ways to cause shenanigans!
    Role Blocker - Pretty standard role by now, actually.
    Veto - I mean, really, you're running a crazy faction phalla and you have no Sun Quan? For shaaaaaame! :lol:

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I'll just mention that there were a few roles that I was expecting that didn't show up.

Veto - I mean, really, you're running a crazy faction phalla and you have no Sun Quan? For shaaaaaame! :lol:

I'm not sure what the Sun Quan role is, but there was a veto. It just didn't get used. That was why Houn killed himself. He expected Verr to switch the vote with the 2nd vote getter so he put himself in 1st and hoped for the flip to kill Verr

I deliberately didn't put in the bus driver so that there would be a certain ambiguity about which roles were included.

But yeah I could have easily added bus driver and role blocker to make this crazier :P

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'm not sure what the Sun Quan role is, but there was a veto. It just didn't get used. That was why Houn killed himself. He expected Verr to switch the vote with the 2nd vote getter so he put himself in 1st and hoped for the flip to kill Verr

I deliberately didn't put in the bus driver so that there would be a certain ambiguity about which roles were included.

But yeah I could have easily added bus driver and role blocker to make this crazier :P
    Sun Quan/Pride has a daily veto, not an OPG. :lol:

It tends to cause much rage.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah. IDK if it is from the same game, but that was what I modeled it off of. Sloth told me about it. More than OPG is broken as fuck. OPG isn't so bad though.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah. IDK if it is from the same game, but that was what I modeled it off of. Sloth told me about it. More than OPG is broken as fuck. OPG isn't so bad though.
    I think someone just sounded the aznman signal!

Sun Quan is defended due to their faction not actually getting any direct kills nor super guards like the other factions.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I suppose that could be valid. Still takes away the power of the vote completely which I don't like.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There was no bus driver??

Then why did my blocks never work? My head hurts :(

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Timmer wrote: »

You blocked JC night 1.... he was not targeted for death
    You blocked JC night 2.... he received and unblockable kill from the SK
    You blocked V_W night 3.... he was not targeted for death

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Timmer wrote: »

You blocked JC night 1.... he was not targeted for death
    You blocked JC night 2.... he received and unblockable kill from the SK
    You blocked V_W night 3.... he was not targeted for death

Ah, okay. My mind is a blur. #2 and #3 confused me since JC died anyway and then the third night the narration made it look like I was trying to guard someone else which made me think there was a bus driver. I guess I just misinterpreted the narration. Thanks :)

So woot I'm 0 for 4 on special powers in my two games!

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Naw I was just working into the narration that you were a guard and that you couldn't have guarded yourself, even if you had wanted to.

It was pretty funny.

One night the vig's killed each other
    The next night the new vig's both targeted the guards

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm curious what would have happened if the SK got converted.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm curious what would have happened if the SK got converted.
    He would have lost his kill and the message:

"A major threat everyone's faction has disappeared."

would have appeared at the end of the narration.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's tough to think in terms of conversion mechanics and crazy stuff like that when A it's your first phalla and B you're lost in your own victory conditions :P. Although after I got switched to tech I stopped really talking to JC which probably was a good thing..

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    coutts wrote: »
    It's tough to think in terms of conversion mechanics and crazy stuff like that when A it's your first phalla and B you're lost in your own victory conditions :P. Although after I got switched to tech I stopped really talking to JC which probably was a good thing..
    And I do apologize for that. The problem was that i was sending basically the same pm to the thrall whose text needed to get fixed, which was the opposite text of yours. So if it was like Tech Seer seers you as X, whatever was in his pm, yours was the opposite..... except the win condition. So when i sent out your pm I just absentmindedly reversed everything from his pm and sent it to you when the last line should have been the same. Next time I need to spend more time on the win condition text since I need to make sure that I word it perfectly for what my intention for you winning is.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    coutts wrote: »
    And I do apologize for that. The problem was that i was sending basically the same pm to the thrall whose text needed to get fixed, which was the opposite text of yours. So if it was like Tech Seer seers you as X, whatever was in his pm, yours was the opposite..... except the win condition. So when i sent out your pm I just absentmindedly reversed everything from his pm and sent it to you when the last line should have been the same. Next time I need to spend more time on the win condition text since I need to make sure that I word it perfectly for what my intention for you winning is.

No worries I had a lot of fun, and all for 3 easy payments of 9.99.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Indeed. I think the important fact is that we all had fun. :)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is going to be quick because it finally stopped raining and I have 3 feet of grass to cut...but I would like to volunteer to run the next newbie mini and I think I would like to set it up as a back-to-back continuous narrative mini like this (first game normal, second game crazy) - with the permission of the host of the main phalla running at the time, of course.

I had a great time with this pair of games. It was my first time as mafia and my first experience with thralls, millers, leaders, vote manipulation, and conversion so I feel like I benefited significantly from it. Thank you Orange Soda and Dac Vin!

And thank you Spectrum and all of the other vets who contributed advice over the last 30 pages :)

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I gotta say, as soon as I understood the conversion mechanic, I pretty much figured it as a win for the honest guys, much as I hated them for killing me (thanks for finishing off the leaders though!).

Wanna see me lie (badly and for no good reason), backstab (or try to anyway), and blackmail (for all of a day)? http://yssoserious.proboards.com

Jaenther on
  • Options
    HellbunnyHellbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Conversions just add to the crazy.

Hellbunny on
    Zombie-a-Day! I'm open for suggestions!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hellbunny wrote: »
    Conversions just add to the crazy.

Aye. I never really suspected a mechanic like that. It ruined all of my plans. Looking back though, the hints are obvious.

As for other mechanics, Thralls/Millers are awesome and I want to see more of them. It was a blast playing a Spy in the beginning.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    RainOPainRainOPain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am impressed that Julius managed to not only avoid the grudge vote on day 1, but basically get a whole network setup and get so many people on his side.

Then, finding out he was on the enemy faction was hilarious. Then, finding out he actually did start out as what he said he did was hilarious a second time

RainOPain on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    see! i'm not always a shifty devious bastard!

or am I...

:P

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    see! i'm not always a shifty devious bastard!

or am I...

:P

It's a special person that ends up being a shifty devious bastard while trying his best to be honest :)

Timmer on
  • Options
    HellbunnyHellbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Was fun and insane... And... I can't believe that ending.

Hellbunny on
    Zombie-a-Day! I'm open for suggestions!
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    OOOOOOH. Ok. I get it now.

I still say my plan was genius. I shouldn't trust my enemies to be active, I guess. :lol:

So, I'm voting !GreenTea for MVP. The Day2 Super-Vote was a spur-of-the-moment thing, because Tea was really the first to contact me. We managed to (mostly) turn it into some awesomeness.

I'm Grudging !Dunedainjedi for being unable to read a clock, and !Verr for not using his power and spoiling my epic plan.

Thanks. Second game I have ever played and I feel satisfied since I sorta pulled something awesome with that voting on day 2 and I had like almost every power in the game.. ><.. I wouldn't have been able to do that whole vote crazyness with out Houn. So awesome playing sir.
    So ridiculous. Anyway, fun game ya'll had a good time playing with you. C-you in the next game. :P

GreenTea on
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well, im back from camping, sorry for the interruption.. im glad we won, but none of the original Honest Students were alive to enjoy it... :P

anyways, i didnt tell the main thread that i was going camping because i didnt want to tip our hand: you see (if you read the boards) we thought we had both vig's kills under control, plus the vote. we thought we had it locked down. i still dont really understand what happened to change that position, but, we won, so no biggie.

fun times had by all. i've been planning and trying to balance a fun futurama phalla.. it will probably end up being a main (60 individual characters) but it should be a pretty basic main (just a lot of roles going around). it should be pretty newbie friendly, so keep an eye out.

also, OS - you rule, and now that youre done here, ill get at you with some details. (if youre still interested in helping me)

psolms on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    psolms wrote: »
    fun times had by all. i've been planning and trying to balance a fun futurama phalla.. it will probably end up being a main (60 individual characters) but it should be a pretty basic main (just a lot of roles going around). it should be pretty newbie friendly, so keep an eye out.
    *laughs* We'll see if anyone remembers to keep an eye out when you crack the top 5 of the main signup list, oh, in about a year+.

Well, assuming that people stop being deadbeats.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

exactly. this will never happen. the next main to be ready was #30 on the friggen list.

then again, i havent actually confirmed anything yet. but im hopeful.

psolms on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    psolms wrote: »

exactly. this will never happen. the next main to be ready was #30 on the friggen list.

then again, i havent actually confirmed anything yet. but im hopeful.

Yeah hit me up with a pm and we can start talking about/google doc'ing/proboarding etc

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey, I've still got candy here for someone. Who's getting it?

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dibs!

Verr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey, I've still got candy here for someone. Who's getting it?
    Whoever won the auxiliary vote.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't think like anyone voted..

JC voted for V_w and Verr voted for RainofPain.

Anyone else wanna vote for an mvp from that game? If not you may just wanna send it to spectrum.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't think like anyone voted..

JC voted for V_w and Verr voted for RainofPain.

Anyone else wanna vote for an mvp from that game? If not you may just wanna send it to spectrum.

Not that it actually helps someone come ahead in the count, but I vote for coutts who saved my ass so many times and provided me with so much good information in this game. I would have been blind without the awesome otter. :)

vagrant_winds on