As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My version of LINK (pic)... help!

olimarioolimario Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
First of all, I'm a new member here.

I've been reading P-A for as long as it has been around and just recently have I tried my hand at being an artist. I've found Gabe's work to be an inspiration and the front page to actually be a pretty neat resource into the mind of a developing artist.

Anyhow, after seeing and hating the artwork for the new Zelda title I thought I'd try my hand at designing what I see as the perfect version of Link (shield from LoZ, cape from ALTTP, tunic from TP, and inspiration from a lot of old Zelda artwork).

I need help, though. I can't pose him naturally to save my life.
linkzeld_sackonbelt.jpg

I don't know if anybody here would be interested, but I'd kill to see another artist pose him correctly or do their own take on my design. Critique is always welcome because I know I'm not very good. I feel like I have good ideas, but getting them out is a HUGE struggle.

Thanks! Glad to be here!

olimario on

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know, even though its a little crude, i actually like the drawing. I dont think the pose is working well. The placement of the arm/shield looks a little awkward. Same with the sword. Have it verticle makes it look a little stiff. But i do like the colours and the shadow. Is that a cape? Id re-work that.

EDIT: to get the pose right, USE A REFERENCE. Take a photo of a friend or even youerself.

BTW, i think that the design youve done is a totally different genre to what the new wii game will be aiming at. Id say yours is more of a wind waker re-design. I also hate the new artwork.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    melting doll needs to get in here

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You know, even though its a little crude, i actually like the drawing. I dont think the pose is working well. The placement of the arm/shield looks a little awkward. Same with the sword. Have it verticle makes it look a little stiff. But i do like the colours and the shadow. Is that a cape? Id re-work that.

EDIT: to get the pose right, USE A REFERENCE. Take a photo of a friend or even youerself.

BTW, i think that the design youve done is a totally different genre to what the new wii game will be aiming at. Id say yours is more of a wind waker re-design. I also hate the new artwork.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, the pose is killing me.
    I was actually thinking about using a photo as a guide, but a couple "artists" I know said that was cheating. I feel like it's just a tool, though. I want to use whatever I can to get better.

how would you re-work the cape? I like the idea of him having one (ala ALTTP's magic cape).

And I don't see my design as a Wind Waker redesign as much as I think of it as an attempt to make Zelda more timeless. I really think a ghibli-ish, storybookish look could help with that.

olimario on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    olimario wrote: »
    how would you re-work the cape? I like the idea of him having one (ala ALTTP's magic cape).

i don't know whether you were going for an oddly-shaped cape, but at the moment it starts off very cape-y up the top, then turns into a kind of cloud/thought bubble at the bottom

capes usually end in quite a straight line (occasionally tattered/toothed) or (not very often) in a rounded base

whereas the one you have at the moment seems to be made up of lots of circles stitched together

other than the cape i really like it! the muted colours and texturing make it look like something out of a particularly cool childrens' storybook

Fletcher on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can kinda see maybe youre going for a softish round look for the cape, but i dont think it works. Look at other examples of artists. Batman and superman would be good examples

e.g.
    fire-emblem-radiant-dawn--200710121.jpg

fire-emblem-20060509002129592.jpg

batman3.jpg

the capes are much more flowing, and have shape. Think when you hold a bed sheet, how it moves through the air. Looking at yours, it doesnt make sense.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fletcher wrote: »
    olimario wrote: »

i don't know whether you were going for an oddly-shaped cape, but at the moment it starts off very cape-y up the top, then turns into a kind of cloud/thought bubble at the bottom

capes usually end in quite a straight line (occasionally tattered/toothed) or (not very often) in a rounded base

whereas the one you have at the moment seems to be made up of lots of circles stitched together

other than the cape i really like it! the muted colours and texturing make it look like something out of a particularly cool childrens' storybook

and
    I can kinda see maybe youre going for a softish round look for the cape, but i dont think it works. Look at other examples of artists. Batman and superman would be good examples

To both of you-

Some very good advice!
    When I rework the pose I'll rework the cape, too.

Marth's cape looks excellent to me. I'll try to take some cues from that.

EDIT:
    my favorite artist and biggest inspiration is jens classens.
    He is able to create highly unique characters and kickstart your imagination using very little detail.
    http://jensclaessens.blogspot.com/

I want to see his take on EVERYTHING

olimario on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really like the colors a lot.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I find your style jarring, and I LIKE IT. The cape has a unnatural pose and the shield seems off in the chosen perspective for Link.

This is just a tip that works for me when I'm working on a drawing. I use a sculpting mannequin
    manikin.jpg
    and dress the bugger in a similar fashion to that of the subject I'm considering. Works wonders for my issues.

I made my first one using some cheap balsa I had lying around from an old project.

npc.EXE on