Options

Bizarre keyboard issue

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
Guys, I posted this in H/A a while back and no joy - I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight they could share. This is making me tear my hair out.
jacobkosh wrote: »
So I'm at a friend's house to help him work on his resume and we have discovered that several applications on his PC (Acer Aspire with Vista) will not accept keyboard input: while I can type in Firefox as I am right now, when we open up a Word or notepad document or the City of Heroes login screen, we can highlight text fields but they won't accept input. I've already tried swapping in a spare keyboard; no joy. Moreover, the offending programs aren't taking input from the on-screen virtual keyboard either.

This is identical to an ongoing problem I have been having with my own machine (although it only happens in games) and I am desperately interested in a solution both for his sake and my own.

More detail: the problem only seems to occur in certain older games (such as Deus Ex or City of Heroes) or in any DOS-based program that I've used. And want to hear something really weird? I discovered that they will accept keyboard input - just so long as I hold the shift key (although this makes things like inputting case-sensitive passwords or text commands impossible). And again, this is the case on both mine and my friend's machines, and it holds true for the onscreen virtual keyboard as well.

Any ideas? H/A suggested investigating the possibility of malware, so I've run both spybot S&D and Malwarebytes; however, the situation remains the same.

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Have you checked regional options in the control panel and seen if you have some weird keyboard layout installed?

Zell on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it's United States-English.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Check to see if any Accessibility Keyboard options are turned on, specifically Sticky Keys.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Sticky Keys is off and I disabled the shortcut a while back.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Try going into the Device Manager and reinstalling the driver.

Cyd Cyclone on