As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me buy a laptop.

TheBigDaddyDowdTheBigDaddyDowd Registered User regular
My wife's laptop just died so now its time to buy a new one. She wants to play games on it and do school work. Right now her game of choice is the Sims 3. I'm looking for something with 4 gigs of ram and a 14-17 inch screen. Our price range is $500-$800 but we could go higher if need be, but we don't want to. So anyone have any recommendations?

TheBigDaddyDowd.png
AC City folk=2965-2082-7154
TheBigDaddyDowd on

• Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just bought this laptop for my wife. It plays TF2 pretty well, hell I even got it to run the witcher decently.

Edit: also it's an Asus which I find comes with far less bloatware that bogs down the system. This is a huge plus in my book.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    is the NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS on that thing a chipset or an actual video card?

I was also looking at this HP. Is this a jump up from the Asus?Is it worth the price jump?

TheBigDaddyDowd on
    TheBigDaddyDowd.png
  • Options
    warmepwarmep Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The 9300 is better than the HD3200, so I would rather go with the ASUS out of those two.

Notebookcheck is a great website to check out when looking for mobile GPUs.

warmep on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sometimes I have the most horrible dreams. Or maybe they are real. Do dead men dream?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wow thats a great website. Thanks for the info.

TheBigDaddyDowd on
    TheBigDaddyDowd.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Edit: wtf? how did I get in THIS thread. Sorry.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ok I think I have two picked out, can someone give me feedback on the specs on them, I found this one with a 9600m GS and this one with a Radeon HD 3650.

TheBigDaddyDowd on
    TheBigDaddyDowd.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The first Acer has a marginally better CPU and marginally worse GPU than the second one. Both are actually really well equipped to be multimedia laptops. Neither will do spectacular for games but both will be able to pull off games like TF2 / War3 / WoW / Fallout 3. Stuff like Dawn of War 2 will tax both systems but be manageable with graphics tweaks. Don't buy either if gaming is an important task for the machine. If gaming is important to you and you MUST buy one of those machines, I'd say go for the second acer with the superior 4650 GPU (as more games are GPU limited than CPU limited.)

Both, for the price, are actually nice machines. I like Acer. I've worked with variations on that (first) Acer model, and can vouch for it being generally reliable and having a nice build quality.

This, by the way, is my atonement for accentally posting in your thread earlier :).

Edit: because somehow I thought the second machine was an Asus and referred to it as such.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ego's having all kinds of problems with readin' comprehension! It's a 9600M GS vs. a 3650, not a 4650. After looking at reviews, both cards are actually pretty comparable. So I looked at the other specs. Personally, I'd take the first one with the C2D. The tradeoff is the C2D machine is $50 more, and has a slightly smaller battery. (6-Cell vs. 8-Cell) Though honestly, I'd say you make up for it in the 45nm chip vs. the 65nm AMD one. And the AMD machine has a larger hard drive. The machines are pretty comparable, though, so it's honestly up to you. Neither would be a poor choice.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think it's a case of writing comprehension in the case of putting 4650 instead of 3650, but I sure am having issues with this thread. I think it's bugged.

I place the blame squarely on all the hookers.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for your help everyone. I bought the c2d machine yesterday when it was $649 like the other one. So I ended up saving $50 bucks.

TheBigDaddyDowd on
    TheBigDaddyDowd.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Since this thread is here and the OP has his problem worked out, I am in the market for a laptop as well. I'd like it to be able to run games at high settings (not necessarily max). Basically, a good processor and a good video card. Budget is up to $1200-1300

I was going through HPs custom build thing and found some stuff I liked but found cheaper pre-built stuff on Newegg. There was this one and this one. Unfortunately, the HP is 64bit which I don't need and the Asus is "open box" so no accessories, but those are along the lines of what I am looking for.

Any suggestions?

edit: Upon more searching on Newegg I have found a couple more Asus laptops including a non-open box one shown above. What is the word on Asus? Good, bad, or average?

e2: How's this? Notebookcheck says the card on that is pretty good. It's in the class 1 list if that means a whole lot.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nothing wrong with Asus. At some point, it's all the same components anyways. The last one you found is good, for a little more (though still outside your budget by $50) you can get this MSI with a better video card and a larger screen. But there is nothing wrong with the Asus you picked out! Though, you may want to keep an eye out on Dell's/HP's website, because with the right "weekly deal" (instant rebates, free upgrades, etc) thing you can get a beefy machine on the cheap.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like the MSI but I'm not sure that I want a screen that big. 17" seems, well, enormous.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Haha, 17" is small! I game on my 22" LCD monitor, I can't imagine enjoying it on 15". Granted, though, at those sizes, it is definitely a desktop replacement system, and I wouldn't wanna carry it around in a backpack for school or anything.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pirusu wrote: »
    Haha, 17" is small! I game on my 22" LCD monitor, I can't imagine enjoying it on 15". Granted, though, at those sizes, it is definitely a desktop replacement system, and I wouldn't wanna carry it around in a backpack for school or anything.
    And that is exactly what I will be doing with my new laptop as I am leaving for college this fall.

edit: Also, just noticed, NC represent dude.

SirToasty on