As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Offered a job?

LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok..

My goal in life is to live off my drawing. I know im not skilled enough yet but I hope to be in a year or two. Im still learning.

I just got a call asking me if i want a full-time help-desk position earning 40k AUS dollars. Help desk isnt what I necessarily want but then I think am I just following the dream sort of thing and I will never get a job with my drawing... so I think something like web-design or graphic design job would sort of suit that path more as it has more creative input.

To put things into perspective my mind is clashing in that I want to have a creative job, it doesn't matter about shitty pay or do I want to follow a path that is working a mindless job but good pay. The thing about the IT job is there is room for promotion down the line.

I will still find time to draw I am sure but it will be less time. I currently have a casual job but it only pays about 22k a year and I dont work much but its easy work and I can also draw while at work while I do the other work.

Bah life is hard and shitty lol

Leggraphics on

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What was your question?

Why not take the job for now and use your spare time to try and do some of your own graphic design work, like hire yourself out to do some side jobs via craigslist or other postings to try to build yourself up a portfolio of stuff

That way when you want to switch you can switch

People switch careers like every day man

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You honestly think you're going to right away become a successful artist and make enough money to live off of your art? I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Take the job. Practice your art. And MAYBE...MAYBE someday someone might pay you money for your hobby.

Esh on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graphic and web design? Are you trained at all or have a degree in the field? Do you have any work experience using the platforms you would be required to use in either position? If no, then take the good job because you're in all likely hood not going to be making a living off your drawing in the near future.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a rare thing to turn an artistic hobby into a career. Work your shitty 9-5, and use your spare time to pursue your art. I burned out pretty quickly doing freelance journalism AND trying to sell some stories, so I think you'll have the best of both worlds.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Take the job that pays the bills and develop your skill when you have free time.

Go from there.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graphic and web design? Are you trained at all or have a degree in the field? Do you have any work experience using the platforms you would be required to use in either position? If no, then take the good job because you're in all likely hood not going to be making a living off your drawing in the near future.

Yes i have a degree and experience that allows me to pick up a job anywhere from video editing, animation to grahic and web design. I want a more creative career path than help desk and It support thats all.

I think I answered my own question anyway. Ill take it if I get offered it. I've never had a fulltime job before and I have always wanted one. I can always still search for other jobs I just feel that to work for someone you need a loyalty to them and give them years of commitment. I get told many times you dont but I still dont like to leave people stranded if im like.. yeah.. Im quitting after a few months working for you

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yes i have a degree and experience that allows me to pick up a job anywhere from video editing, animation to grahic and web design. I want a more creative career path than help desk and It support thats all.

I think I answered my own question anyway. Ill take it if I get offered it. I've never had a fulltime job before and I have always wanted one. I can always still search for other jobs I just feel that to work for someone you need a loyalty to them and give them years of commitment. I get told many times you dont but I still dont like to leave people stranded if im like.. yeah.. Im quitting after a few months working for you
    i feel the same way and have had to leave some cool people for a step up employment wise

they get over it faster than you will

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Here is where you're wrong. Your degree doesn't means shit. Sorry to be blunt, but you don't get a job in creative fields with a degree. You get it with a strong portfolio, and contacts within the industry.

Take the 9-5. Practice your art while doing it.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your degree doesn't means shit. Sorry to be blunt, but you don't get a job in creative fields with a degree. You get it with a strong portfolio, and contacts within the industry.

Ponge on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you should be lucky to be offered a job. i can't find one to even apply to.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Don't worry about that, I'm not in my field now but am working full-time and applying to positions in my field. How committed are you to working on the path you want? Trust me, if you get a position in your field you won't feel abd about leaving the other place. If you have to worry about money it will be harder but if you can afford to work part-time then you have more options. I'm looking for full and part time positions in my field and if I find one I'm blowing away my current crappy job.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ink4n3ink4n3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm on my last day as a Help Desk Agent today. It's not bad at all. I just took this job while i finished my last year of engineering school. For my company at least its very laid back and they don't really care what I do as long as I answer calls when they come in.
    I did all my homework in downtime during the school year and now I'm killing time posting on here while some user reboots her computer.
    So you may be able to work on your art while working at a help desk.

ink4n3 on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah why not take the job while you practice?

artists need to eat as well

Raneados on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raneados wrote: »

Don't the best ones starve?

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I may be the only voice of descent, but I would say don't take the job if it's full time (40 is hours a week) especially if you are a hard-to-motivate person. The job will bog you down and if it's not in an industry you care about, you'll go mad in a few years. You will probably have a hard time getting the energy up to go back and do art stuff each day. A few years turns into a decade and before you know it, you're working the job you plan to retire on.

The best solution is to get a semi-flexible job with low requirements and not much afterthought. For example, try waiting tables at a busy restaurant. Spend a couple hours a day on your portfolio.

I'm not saying your life will be guaranteed to work out like I described, but it happens to more people than it does to successful people. I know everyone wants to think they have the skills to make it as an artist, but you need more than a degree and willpower to make MONEY doing it. You need to put in hard time and make it the focus of your day. It's hard to make it the focus with a full time job with benefits etc.

In reality, I would still take the job if I were in your position. However, there's always the other side of the coin. If you take the job, write a log or a list of things you need to do for your portfolio, otherwise it will NEVER get rounded out. Taking the job means you need to be extra diligent at home.

Rye on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Depending on the help desk and the enviroment, you may have plenty of down time to practice while at work. Plus help desk is easy if you can stand dumb questions over and over.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can freelance.

Take the job. You never know what the IT job will bring, either. Jobs bring contacts. My job is taking a graphic design direction, and it started as a filing clerk position. All you need to do is do your job to your best ability, and whenever you see an opportunity to show your art or apply your creativity to better something, DO IT. Then SHOW your boss, tell them WHY it helps and suggest other projects you could work on. Before long you'll end up being the Graphic Designer, despite not having any experience.

Also you would be surprised how often you can find time to draw at a desk job.

mully on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »

Don't the best ones starve?

You're no longer an artist if you're starving.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mully wrote: »
    You can freelance.

Take the job. You never know what the IT job will bring, either. Jobs bring contacts. My job is taking a graphic design direction, and it started as a filing clerk position. All you need to do is do your job to your best ability, and whenever you see an opportunity to show your art or apply your creativity to better something, DO IT. Then SHOW your boss, tell them WHY it helps and suggest other projects you could work on. Before long you'll end up being the Graphic Designer, despite not having any experience.

Also you would be surprised how often you can find time to draw at a desk job.

This. One of the most important things you can do is network, and this applies to ANY job. And mully is also right that sometimes, more often than you may think, one type of work will branch out into another.

Janson on