As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Connecting Accross Domains to Shared Drive

blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
Hey

I'm trying to connect my laptop to a shared drive on a local server. The problem is that my laptop is on a different domain then the server. Here is some info:

Laptop Domain= Workgroup
Server Domain = work.group.ca

Server IP = 192.168.1.100
Shared Folder = //ucc-srvr/shared

Laptop = vista
Server = Win 2003

I’m fairly certain that I can get to the shared folder if I change the domain of my laptop, but I would rather not do that.

I’ve tried to map the drive but I get an error. I’m assuming the error has to do with the different domains.

Can anyone point me down the correct path

TIA

BOOM SHACK A LAKA
blackranger3d on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can you ping 192.168.1.100 from your laptop?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Workgroup" isn't a domain. From the sounds of it, you might not even be on one. The only way to be sure is to hit a command prompt and do a "ipconfig" command. In the info that follows, check out your host name. Your domain will be right after it. Then, when he (or you) try to connect, make sure you include the domain name in the share name, i.e.

//computername.domain/sharename

Side note: If he's on an authenication-enabled domain, and you're not (like I suspect), it may ask you for credentials.

Also, if his domain is remote, and not part of your network (not saying it is, but it can happen), then you're both out of luck.

DietarySupplement on