As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

President Obama's response to the election in Iran

LachoneusLachoneus Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So... I want to know what you all think.

Personally, I think it was weak to say that we shouldn't "meddle." Now, I am not looking for him to answer with "we are giong to send troops to support you." In fact, that would probably be the worst thing we could do right now, especially considering what is going on with North Korea and a possible July 4th attack (which blows my mind btw).

However, I DO believe that it would not have been imprudent to condemn the stolen election. Its not like Obama's speach writers couldnt say it in a nice way. He is more eloquant in disagreeing than most. Although I'm not a fan of his, he does have that ability.

I am all for the unification he spoke about in Cairo. I am not for all the apologizing he has done. I wouldn't mind a "yeah, it sucks and we are sorry for our part". But he takes the blame for the whole WORLD's economic crisis. Other countries can't take some of the blame for what has happened?

I'm just frustrated by the fact that he seems to not be proud of the US. When he is here, on our soil, he says he is. Abroad? It doesn't feel that way. In fact, he seems ashamed of our country. We have made mistakes here and there. But our track record for good outweighs our track record for bad by much more.

I mean, when France has more balls to say something condemning of Iran's hostile "election" than our own President, doesn't that make you sad/frustrated/a little disappointed?

"No women. No kids."
Lachoneus on

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This has been discussed at length in the other Iran threads. Getting involved would only be ammunition for the opposition to use against the protestors without any tangible benefit.

I also expect this thread to be locked pretty quickly because it's too much like the other ones. Might want to move your post over there.

And I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Obama seems "ashamed" of our country abroad.

Duffel on
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing is, we're not quite that popular in the middle east. Anything we do is much more likely to be interpreted as meddling. Which, frankly, condemning the election would be. Worst case-scenario, it makes Mousavi look like a US puppet.

Furthermore, we can't be certain about how this is going to turn out, and although staying neutral doesn't build us any bridges, it doesn't have the same possibility to disastrously burn them, either.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The trick, though, is that America is a dogwhistle in Iran the likes of which we can't really udnerstand. American interventionism lead directly to the strong authoritarian streak running throughout Iran and America is (rightly) held responsible for one of the worst despotic reigns in the middle east. To say nothing of America siding with Iraq during the brutal 8 year Iran-Iraq war. It's kind of like mentioning the Nazis in Israel, I'd imagine.

Now, the reason this is a problem is that if America, especially its President, is seen as publically backing the reform movement in Iran then the movement is absolutely over. Distancing ourselves, painful as it is, is the only way to give the protestors and the young generation in Iran a chance. We've made it known that, for better or worse, this is something the Iranians have to do themselves.

So what does that benefit us? Very little, but it benefits the reform movement in Iran a lot. Khameini and Ahmadinejad really need to reach to throw Western powers behind the reformers because, to put it plainly, there isn't any. No western power is helping the reform movement, kneecapping the ability of the regime to call the reformers into doubt. Without that very potent ability, its possible that (as happened during the '79 Revolution) that the military and police will split, further helping out the movement.

However, tomorrow will see real blood shed in what appears to be the climax of this saga. If Khameini and Ahmadinejad butcher hundreds of thousands of people tomorrow, there's no way the West can stand idly by.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Honestly, the best thing the United States can do is not to get involved. A large portion of the region doesn't like us, so the moment we actually try to intervene the radicals get all in a tizzy. Plus, I am sure a number of people over there remember the last time the US got involved in the Iranian democratic process.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Newsflash: The Iranian election is not about the US.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tubaloth wrote:
    I'm just frustrated by the fact that he seems to not be proud of the US. When he is here, on our soil, he says he is. Abroad? It doesn't feel that way. In fact, he seems ashamed of our country. We have made mistakes here and there. But our track record for good outweighs our track record for bad by much more.
    Ashamed? Really? That's not how I see it at all. Oh, and by the way, if we never admit any mistakes, nobody's going to treat what we say with any seriousness or credence.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If massive killings do occur, then the UN can step in and that's where other countries, including US, can start to literally help quell the situation.

Of course, the worst and most stupid thing Khameini can do is to start massive killing of people since that means there's no way he'll be able to hang on to the Islamic Republic at all.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Nonsense. Everything everywhere is always about how it relates to the US. Their own reasons/motivations are tangential. America is the main character.

Duffel on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tubaloth wrote:
    Ashamed? Really? That's not how I see it at all. Oh, and by the way, if we never admit any mistakes, nobody's going to treat what we say with any seriousness or credence.
    There's a difference between "America Sucks", and "America should not have interfered in 1953, sorry"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    If massive killings do occur, then the UN can step in and that's where other countries, including US, can start to literally help quell the situation.

Of course, the worst and most stupid thing Khameini can do is to start massive killing of people since that means there's no way he'll be able to hang on to the Islamic Republic at all.

I don't know what world you live in but our UN doesn't go around and stop the governments of any country from oppressing the shit out of their population. The UN generally doesn't get that kind of involved in a country if it has a still functioning government.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    Nonsense. Everything everywhere is always about how it relates to the US. Their own reasons/motivations are tangential. America is the main character.

Well yeah. And even then not the fake loser parts of the US like big cities and liberal gay neighborhoods.

TL DR on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    tubaloth wrote:
    There's a difference between "America Sucks", and "America should not have interfered in 1953, sorry"

And there is a difference about implying Obama actually said "America sucks" and you speaking in hyperbole to make a terrible point.

Crayon on
  • Options
    SQUIRREL!SQUIRREL! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    At least we finally have a president capable of saying, "Hey guys, our bad!"

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This has been discussed at length in the other Iran threads. Getting involved would only be ammunition for the opposition to use against the protestors without any tangible benefit.

I also expect this thread to be locked pretty quickly because it's too much like the other ones. Might want to move your post over there.

And I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Obama seems "ashamed" of our country abroad.

If we don't walk around with our giant dicks waving around for the whole world to see they'll think we're weak!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    tubaloth wrote:

look, im not saying that everything in the world has to do with the US. ill say it again: i dont think we SHOULD intervene. But i dont think voicing our opinion would be intervening. Also, why wouldn't the election of Ahmadinejad possibly be of any interest to the US? I guess because Iran funds terrorists throughout the world; and is building their nulcear arsenal (which they don't seem to have any qualms about using).

I DO, however, see the point of others who have replied in the forum. I want the reformists to win and if that means backing away for the time being, so be it. And just because we are hated somewhere doesn't mean we shouldn't say something or do something.

I would just like to think that saying something about how wrong what is going over there is, would not ruin the opposition.

Lachoneus on
    "No women. No kids."
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    tubaloth wrote:

i didnt say we shouldn't admit our mistakes. im all for being humble. i feel like he does it too much thats all.
    SQUIRREL! wrote: »
    At least we finally have a president capable of saying, "Hey guys, our bad!"

agreed.

Lachoneus on
    "No women. No kids."
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So we should say something or do something even though you just acknowledged doing nothing is likely the best option?

Again you make it about us. We should condemn the election because it makes us feel morally superior and the hell with the actual consequences?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Voicing an opinion is very much intervening when you're the POTUS. You can intervene in ways which do not involve troop movements or economic sanctions.

Duffel on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tubaloth wrote: »
    tubaloth wrote:

look, im not saying that everything in the world has to do with the US. ill say it again: i dont think we SHOULD intervene. But i dont think voicing our opinion would be intervening. Also, why wouldn't the election of Ahmadinejad possibly be of any interest to the US? I guess because Iran funds terrorists throughout the world; and is building their nulcear arsenal (which they don't seem to have any qualms about using).

I DO, however, see the point of others who have replied in the forum. I want the reformists to win and if that means backing away for the time being, so be it. And just because we are hated somewhere doesn't mean we shouldn't say something or do something.

I would just like to think that saying something about how wrong what is going over there is, would not ruin the opposition.

It shouldn't, but the threat of American interventionism has been such a potent tool for the Islamic Republic for so long that it's almost like an ingrained signal. If we're anything but neutral (Biden excluded, seemingly, because fools are allowed to say even the harshest truths) then Khameini can use that as a pretense to get the military and police forces even more solidly behind them. If Obama were to say "We're all hoping and praying for the reformers" then that could mean Khameini could say "See? American influence. They want these reformers to succeed, just like the Shah. Do we really want the Shah again?" or some such nonsense.

Neutrality's our best way to help these people. If the bloodbath happens today in Tehran like it seems it will, however, America and other western nations (I'd prefer a UN task force) will need to intervene to stop massive loss of life.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Our president saying something like that would be us officially supporting the protectors. This would allow the current regime to basically say "this is a US backed grab for power", which would in turn make it more difficult for protesters to get more of their statesmen to join the movement. Americans aren't hated over there, but our government isn't trusted. Any statement would be seen as us interfering. And that could ruin the movement.

This thing has to come from within. We can watch, but officially we can not offer our support, even morally, to the protesters. At least that's the way I understand it.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tubaloth wrote:

It shouldn't, but the threat of American interventionism has been such a potent tool for the Islamic Republic for so long that it's almost like an ingrained signal. If we're anything but neutral (Biden excluded, seemingly, because fools are allowed to say even the harshest truths) then Khameini can use that as a pretense to get the military and police forces even more solidly behind them. If Obama were to say "We're all hoping and praying for the reformers" then that could mean Khameini could say "See? American influence. They want these reformers to succeed, just like the Shah. Do we really want the Shah again?" or some such nonsense.

Neutrality's our best way to help these people. If the bloodbath happens today in Tehran like it seems it will, however, America and other western nations (I'd prefer a UN task force) will need to intervene to stop massive loss of life.

Yeah, because we love preventing and stopping massive genocide. I mean just look at Darfur, and man our quick response to the Holocaust was amazing.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    tubaloth wrote:

having it explained like that is nice. thanks dude. i understand much better.

holy crap though... if that does happen.... wow.

Lachoneus on
    "No women. No kids."
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Voicing an opinion is very much intervening when you're the POTUS. You can intervene in ways which do not involve troop movements or economic sanctions.
    For example, the Axis of Evil speech was an intervention, and helped Ahmedinejad tremendously.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think our country has had enough examples in how to intervene in another nation's shit the wrong way.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

My mother kept bringing this up the last time I discussed politics with her. From that I can assume it's just a standard fox news talking point and not much else.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    RussellRussell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Crossposted from the other thread (do we really need two?)
    Russell wrote: »
    This may have been posted but Henry Kissinger supports Obama's current position on Iran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meugtwz6r0E

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henry Fucking Kissinger.

Thread Over.

Boom, yummy!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As far as I am concerned, there is only one single factor that Obama should take into consideration when deciding what to say about Iran's elections: will my speech help the reformers or hurt them?

A lot of the objections to Obama's approach have less to do with this factor and more to do with abstract ideology or projecting America's values. Which is about the stupidest way to go about promoting those values in practice. Nobody likes to be preached at.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I mean, when France has more balls to say something condemning of Iran's hostile "election" than our own President, doesn't that make you sad/frustrated/a little disappointed?

There is more to international diplomacy than just "balls"

Marty81 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marty81 wrote: »

There is more to international diplomacy than just "balls"

There's waving your dick around!

Anyway, yes, publicly taking sides in a country where we have a history of supporting oppressive regimes and generally fucking over the populace is not a good way to get a desired outcome.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, we can't let ourselves be used as ammo against the reform movement.

Also we can do much more than our government ever could by setting up proxies for Iranians to use to get their news out.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    tubaloth wrote:

look, im not saying that everything in the world has to do with the US. ill say it again: i dont think we SHOULD intervene. But i dont think voicing our opinion would be intervening.
    Then I really hope you don't intend to make international relations a career path.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the administration of this country should focus on the current crop of problems they are busy creating, and leave the commenting on Iran to the common man. A common man armed with twitter, who is busy watching leaked videos of people fighting for democracy, when our voter turnout hovers above 60%.

I think its great that the Iranian people, given a taste of democracy are protesting demanding their votes be counted. If I had one wish for my country, it would be that our own people would fight as hard to maintain our democracy where it ever to be similarly threatened.

Detharin on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Obama is taking heat but sadly there is nothing he can do. However, there is Jesse Jackson...

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    Obama is taking heat but sadly there is nothing he can do. However, there is Jesse Jackson...
    No he's not. Everyone who isn't a dumbass thinks that Obama is handling this correctly.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    No he's not. Everyone who isn't a dumbass thinks that Obama is handling this correctly.

So business as usual for the GOP?

Henroid on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would be less impressed with the Kissinger shout out if he weren't giving his approval to non-action.

I mean, this is the man who wanted to burn down southeast Asia.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Crayon wrote: »
    tubaloth wrote:

Yeah, because we love preventing and stopping massive genocide. I mean just look at Darfur, and man our quick response to the Holocaust was amazing.

Are you fucking joking? The west barely knew what was going on in germany during ww2 wrt the jews, and there sure as hell wasn't a lot they could do until the actual invasion. What would you have wanted them to do, bomb the concentration camps?

L|ama on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    This falls under the umbrella of the other Iran thread.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.