As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ipod Touch doesn't like touching

FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Today my second generation ipod touch stopped responding to touches. Right now its in standby mode, and I can't get it to unlock.

When I try a restore it gives back an error, but If i reboot and try it again everything works, sans touching.
I've run through all the standard stuff on the ipod website as well. I am in Edinburgh and unfortunately we don't have an apple store.
Any suggestions? I've a long flight on Wednesday so if it comes down to it I may just buy another :?

edit: i've also noticed it doesnt make the clicking sound when hitting the lock button in the top left corner anymore.

Fuzzywhale on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    still under warranty?

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Doubt it? I bought it at a Curry's back in December and I misplaced the warranty paperwork they gave me

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's still under warranty. The serial number will tell them when it was purchased and it's warranty status should you send it in for repair, and you should! Take it back to where you bought it.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fuzzywhale wrote: »
    Doubt it? I bought it at a Curry's back in December and I misplaced the warranty paperwork they gave me
    touch should have a 1 year warranty through apple, best thing to do is get it to them. shouldn't need the paperwork as it's all tracked by s/n but it sounds like you need a new one. try letting the battery die out all the way, letting it sit for a day, then recharging. if that doesn't workit's a hardware problem with the screen and i would not recommend trying to fix this on your own

edit: curse you trill and your speed responses

• Options
    edited June 2009
    okay good news!
    It's not shop dependent is it? The one i bought it at is under renovation right now

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    okay good news!
    It's not shop dependent is it? The one i bought it at is under renovation right now
    no but in some cases it's not the shop handling it and they would send it in to apple

• Options
    edited June 2009
    touch should have a 1 year warranty through apple, best thing to do is get it to them. shouldn't need the paperwork as it's all tracked by s/n but it sounds like you need a new one. try letting the battery die out all the way, letting it sit for a day, then recharging. if that doesn't workit's a hardware problem with the screen and i would not recommend trying to fix this on your own

edit: curse you trill and your speed responses

Har har.
    I took my touch back last year, so I know all about this

Trillian on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay so I'll definitely claim warranty as a last resort once I return to the UK.

Since i'll be away for 6 weeks this wednesday and this was going to be my main technology piece, id still like to try and fuss with it and try and get it working before my flight!. So I'd like to solicit some more troubleshooting advice. I'm currently working on draining the battery and then trying a recharge Here's some more specific details:

Occassionally I can get it to unlock. Once that happens Things work fine, that is until it locks again.

I also tried to do a restore, however during the procedure i got an "error 1602". As well during the restore procedure while downloading the 2.2.1 update, that messed up with an error, and I had to restart that. Maybe I have a bad copy of the OS on there? If I reset the ipod it will then "work".

Is there anyway to force a redownload of the 2.2.1 update?
    I'm tempted to pay for the 3.0 update just to have a good copy of AN update. Dumb Idea y/n?

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've run through all the standard stuff on the ipod website as well. I am in Edinburgh and unfortunately we don't have an apple store.

If you fancy taking a little trip to Glasgow they have one there.

Casual on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Eh, or just go to scotsys. Or cancom or whatever the hell they are called now. Nicholson street.

Hey, iPhone have copypasta now http://www.cancomuk.com/Our-Stores/Edinburgh

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah okay I noticed that shop the other day.
    I was wary at first because their "genius bar" costs money, but I think I might pay up as I am desperate.

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah okay I noticed that shop the other day.
    I was wary at first because their "genius bar" costs money, but I think I might pay up as I am desperate.

It doesn't cost a dime if you're still under warranty, which you are, plus they are super helpful.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    wonderful, stopping there tomorrow then.

Fuzzywhale on