As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mild panic: scratch on ring

VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So this ring is super important to me. Like, incredibly symbolic and all that. I rarely wear it, but I was messing around and wore it for like 3 minutes to see if I could function with this massive thing on my finger. I decided I couldn't, but was on pretty good so I had to pull it off. In the process apparently did this so the inner surface:
ring_scratch.jpg
It's a dark scratch. Not deep, but rough-like. Kind of looks like it rubbed some of the surface into itself. It's from Jostens, and that's pretty much all the info I have on its construction. I've heard of rings leaving a black mark on people's skin but not on the ring itself, and definitely not like this. I'm hesitant to polish it out or anything, because I don't want to mess up the plating (if it is plated). Not too experienced with jewelery or ringmaking. Should I try polishing it or send it to Jostens or what?

Yeah it's probably a minor thing to be freaking out about (VVR may have OCD issues, yes) but after this I'm planning to put it in a case and never touching it again. Like I said, it's super important. Thanks guys.

CoH_infantry.jpg
Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
VeritasVR on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know what a Joston's is. If it is a chain jewelery store, sure, take it there. If they are a ring maker (like with class rings and what not), stay away, they are usually absurdly expensive.
    I doubt a franchise jewelery store will do a repair if it is not theirs (the one I did repairs at would not), so you might as well just go to an independant shop and support your local businesses while you're at it.

It looks shallow enough to be an easy fix. Don't worry.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jostens is class ring type jewlery. For them, you'll probably have to send it. You should look around town for any jewlery shops. Maybe even go to a place in the mall and ask if they'll fix it or something?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Again, only a private jeweler might touch it.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If its gold, that should just buff out.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If its gold, that should just buff out.

It's probably gold-alloy, although it might be just gold plated considering how it marked.. What would you recommend?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't think he means you can buff it out (since it doesn't sound like you would own the equipment). Which means the only think you can do is take it into a jewelery store. I can't see this costing more than $20 to fix, but without seeing it in person it's a bit harder to judge.
    Hell, someone might do it for free like they do a cleaning.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anything less than 24 karat gold is an alloy, so I'm not sure what you mean by gold-alloy. But as long as its a solid gold ring, a little nick like that will buff out. There are buffing kits for dremel tools that would do the job pretty easy, but if the ring is that super important to you, I would recommend having someone with a little experience do it.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want to say the jostons has a lifetime warranty on their product. That is, atleast, what I remember their representative telling our class so I could be very wrong about that.

it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Portugal.TheMarkPortugal.TheMark Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would second/third taking it to a private jewelry store. While my knowledge of jewelry is limited to a basic jewelry, and advanced jewelry class in highschool I do know that certain polishes can have certain negative effects on different types of metal. If you decide to go ahead and get rid of the blemish yourself study everything you're buying carefully. Also I would suggest getting the right equipment to polish it out with. Not every buffer surface is adequate to use on jewelry.

All in all just find a private jeweler near you and have them do it. It will cost a lot less money, and stress for you. If you're worried about them messing the ring up worse go to the BBB to find out about how they run business. It sounds like this ring has a lot of meaning, and I'd hate to hear that the ring is destroyed because of an error that could have been avoided.

P.S. I just noticed that there is engraving on the inside near the scratch. IF you do polish it yourself be careful not to get any of the polish into the engraving surfaces. That can be a gigantic pain to get out once you're done.

Portugal.TheMark on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Money is not really an issue concerning its repair. Jostens does have a lifetime warranty on repairs (not losses) unless you let someone else mess with the ring.

Might as well send it in, eh? Unfortunately I heard their customer service is less than stellar.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wouldn't trust mailing the ring anywhere if it had that kind of sentimental value.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wouldn't trust mailing the ring anywhere if it had that kind of sentimental value.

You would instead advise me to drive it to Minnesota and wait there for four weeks while it is repaired? I'm not seeing many options here.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Didn't I advise you to drive to a privately owned jewelery store? Should I have specified one that is also.. local?
    If a local place quotes you $20 to buff it out, would you rather hand it over in person or risk mailing it somewhere for a free fix?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Buffing out a scratch that big is going to remove a lot of gold (that's all buffing does, remove the gold around and in the scratch). Also, that'll take a hand tool, not a buffing wheel, so you'll need a real shop. A guy with a pro on hand, not just a sales guy with some training.

Call Jostons or go to their local sales office. They'll tell you if its covered. if it is, take them up on it, because those things are a bitch to work on. In particular, the stones they use a really heat sensitive, so if they add in more gold when making the repair, they will properly remove the stone instead of smoking it. Seen that; not pretty. Even if its not covered, I might trust them more than a good jeweler.

Of course, that's presuming its 10 or 14K gold. If its plated like my ring, repair isn't much of an option.

If it makes you feel better, most rings have damage like that somewhere. Good jewelery has stories to go with it, and now you've got another one to go with the story of this ring.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Didn't I advise you to drive to a privately owned jewelery store? Should I have specified one that is also.. local?
    If a local place quotes you $20 to buff it out, would you rather hand it over in person or risk mailing it somewhere for a free fix?

Sorry. Just a bit frustrated. I got a magnified image though.
    ring_zoom.jpg

What's weird is, the scratch is going parallel to the axis. In other words, my finger rubbing when I took it off would have made that scratch going along the grain, and not opposed like in the picture.

Edit: not perpendicular.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There is no reason for you to not have contacted Jostens to see if they cover it yet. (Also, I'm fairly certain they do.)

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How would the ring sliding over your finger scratch it like that? Are you Wolverine? :)

Count Funkula on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eh, it's on the inside of the ring, though I understand you feel it is of superior importance, I wonder if it's really worth it to even have it buffed out, do you display it?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    There is no reason for you to not have contacted Jostens to see if they cover it yet. (Also, I'm fairly certain they do.)

From the Jostens warranty page: "If your item is lost in transit, and you haven't used a traceable and insured method of shipment, you'll need to place a new order for your jewelry. If your original ring design is no longer available, Jostens will offer a current comparable ring design at your expense."

So let me clarify. This particular ring - as in, the mass that it contains - isn't as much important to me as having the ring with this exact design. I got it recently, so I'd assume they could perhaps make another if I'd happen to lose it. I will confirm this soon. I'll take it to a jeweler to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with, but if Jostens gives the OK for the insurance/remake then I'm happy.
    How would the ring sliding over your finger scratch it like that? Are you Wolverine? :)

Wish that were the case. It was really tight on my finger and I tried to wiggle it loose, and I guess that's when it happened. No one has seen this sort of thing before.
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Eh, it's on the inside of the ring, though I understand you feel it is of superior importance, I wonder if it's really worth it to even have it buffed out, do you display it?

Yeah. I was going to wear it for an interview before I messed it up though.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised if your fingernail did it going in or out, gold is very malleable. Beyond that, yeah, a professional jeweler is going to be your best bet.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Yeah. I was going to wear it for an interview before I messed it up though.
    I don't know what's stopping you from doing that, considering the damage isn't visible when worn. Although the interviewer should be familiar enough with your resume that you won't need a big gaudy ring to remind them of where you went to school.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]