As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Israeli Lobby and the Overuse of the Anti-Semite Card

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sometimes people who have a legitimate beef with issues relating to Israel are unjustly labeled Anti-Semitic
    Evander wrote:
    Look at Thanatos! If you just replace his words with completely unrelated words and construe his statements to mean different things, he's totally racists against Jews!

TL DR on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    are we going to pull the "genocide" card on them?

I mean the BNP actually DOES support the same thing that Yisrael Beitenu supports (deportation)

It's been awhile since the UK was attempting to eliminate a race of people. Not long enough, but still awhile.

If Israel ACTUALLY wanted to eliminate the Palestinians, they'd be dead.

You're making accusations that you can't back up.

Evander on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

If the rest of the world did not exist.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I mean the BNP actually DOES support the same thing that Yisrael Beitenu supports (deportation)

It's been awhile since the UK was attempting to eliminate a race of people. Not long enough, but still awhile.

this is one of the stupidest things i've ever read

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    And if he WAS talking about Israeli politicians, he'd be full of shit too. Throwing around "genocide" and "apartheid" when those AREN'T what is happening makes a mockery of the people who suffered in South Africa, and who are currently suffering in Darfur. The situation the Palestinians are in is NOT okay, but it is also NOT genocide.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/23/israelandthepalestinians.unitednations
    A UN human rights investigator has likened Israel's occupation of the Palestinian territories to apartheid South Africa and says there should be "serious consideration" over bringing the occupation to the international court of justice.

The report by John Dugard, a South African law professor who is the UN's special rapporteur on human rights in the Palestinian territories, represents some of the most forceful criticism yet of Israel's 40-year occupation.
    What the fuck does a South African law professor appointed as a Human Rights Investigator know about apartheid?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Evander, Netanyahu's ridiculous two-state solution adds up to apartheid in everything but name. The way Palestinians are treated now is basically the same.

Netanyahu's plan is never going to see the light of day.

Remember, he is only PM because of coalition building. The highest vote getting party in the elections was the one that was originally formed FOR THE PURPOSE OF dismantling the settlements in the West Bank.

Israeli politics is a complex beast. You can't just look at one thing, and judge the entire situation by it.

You ALSO can't ignore the context of Palestinian terrorism which has been going on since BEFORE Israel controlled those territories.

I didn't realize that terrorism was a magic word that suddenly turned apartheid into an acceptable social construct.

First off, I'm VERY disappointed that you are ignoring Thanatos' post where he clarified that he WAS talking about American Jewish politicians.

Secondly, Israeli Palestinians have FULL rights. This isn't an apartheid situation, it's a refugee situation. Refugees living in the occupied territories are living in conditions that were imposed upon them by Egypt and Jordan in 1948, when they first became refugees. You may say that they should be given full Israeli status and rights, but you're ignoring the fact that THEY DON'T WANT TO BE ISRAELI, THEY WANT THEIR OWN PALESTINIAN STATE.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

In a world of incredibly stupid things you've written, this is maybe the stupidest.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    And if he WAS talking about Israeli politicians, he'd be full of shit too. Throwing around "genocide" and "apartheid" when those AREN'T what is happening makes a mockery of the people who suffered in South Africa, and who are currently suffering in Darfur. The situation the Palestinians are in is NOT okay, but it is also NOT genocide.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/23/israelandthepalestinians.unitednations
    A UN human rights investigator has likened Israel's occupation of the Palestinian territories to apartheid South Africa and says there should be "serious consideration" over bringing the occupation to the international court of justice.

The report by John Dugard, a South African law professor who is the UN's special rapporteur on human rights in the Palestinian territories, represents some of the most forceful criticism yet of Israel's 40-year occupation.
    What the fuck does a South African law professor appointed as a Human Rights Investigator know about apartheid?
    Well if he's white, he could be trying to give a few tips. [/off color]

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Should we bring Hamas to the court of justice too?

What court do you bring a group to who continues to fire rockets during a cease fire?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You may say that they should be given full Israeli status and rights, but you're ignoring the fact that THEY DON'T WANT TO BE ISRAELI, THEY WANT THEIR OWN PALESTINIAN STATE.

Someone get me mah tomahawk.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Evander, Netanyahu's ridiculous two-state solution adds up to apartheid in everything but name. The way Palestinians are treated now is basically the same.

Netanyahu's plan is never going to see the light of day.

Remember, he is only PM because of coalition building. The highest vote getting party in the elections was the one that was originally formed FOR THE PURPOSE OF dismantling the settlements in the West Bank.

Israeli politics is a complex beast. You can't just look at one thing, and judge the entire situation by it.

You ALSO can't ignore the context of Palestinian terrorism which has been going on since BEFORE Israel controlled those territories.

I didn't realize that terrorism was a magic word that suddenly turned apartheid into an acceptable social construct.

First off, I'm VERY disappointed that you are ignoring Thanatos' post where he clarified that he WAS talking about American Jewish politicians.

Secondly, Israeli Palestinians have FULL rights. This isn't an apartheid situation, it's a refugee situation. Refugees living in the occupied territories are living in conditions that were imposed upon them by Egypt and Jordan in 1948, when they first became refugees. You may say that they should be given full Israeli status and rights, but you're ignoring the fact that THEY DON'T WANT TO BE ISRAELI, THEY WANT THEIR OWN PALESTINIAN STATE.

What rights do they have, exactly? Because I don't see them as having any rights, or all that much representation, despite outnumbering the Israeli Jews by quite a bit.

We're not saying they should be given full Israeli status. We're saying PALESTINE AS A WHOLE SHOULD BE GIVEN SOVEREIGNTY AS A COUNTRY.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh man, I would make this my sig if I hadn't changed it 10 minutes ago.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Remind me again when the BNP joined the ruling coalition, and Nick Griffin became Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs...?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

In a world of incredibly stupid things you've written, this is maybe the stupidest.

because you KNOW it's right.

All of the things that you accuse Israel of WANTING to do are fully within their power, and yet they don't do them.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Israel has nukes.

If North Korea or China are any example, the rest of the world doesn't matter.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Should we bring Hamas to the court of justice too?

What court do you bring a group to who continues to fire rockets during a cease fire?
    "See, apartheid is okay, because TERRISM!!!!!!"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

All of the things that you accuse Israel of WANTING to do are fully within their power, and yet they don't do them.

Evander, this argument is so preposterous that if it hadn't come from you I'd take it to be satire. You should really stop arguing this one, it is not going to help your cause if people take this seriously and point out what an idiot you're being.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Israel has nukes.

US has more nukes.

And yet.

Having nukes keeps other countries from overthrowing you, and that's about it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

They are doing them. They're just doing them slowly and steadily, so as to give the world time to get used to the idea.

I mean, if they just nuked the Palestinians, people would complain. If they just keep provoking attacks out of them, though, and killing them slowly through barricades and embargos, that will be just fine.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Israel has nukes.

lol, are you now equating Israel with North Korea? Whats even going on here?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    The racial situation with the "Black" population is not the same as that of the Jewish population.

Not remotely.

You may as well say that the Native Americans and Koreans are on the same footing.
    and that makes it okay to hate Jews?
    Who here hates Jews?

Thanatos, at best, just hates the Jewish lobby.
    But, but, the two are exactly the same m i rite?

Which is, to some extent, exactly what he seems to have been talking about in the first place. Amusing.

Oh, and having a black president is an aberration. They're still underrepresented across the entire power structure, and will be even more so when our next white president gets elected (whether in 4 or 8 years, either way).

And rappers and athletes don't (in general) make broad policy.
    And the broad policy that Jews support (in general) is ACTUALLY the same stuff that Thanatos supports.
    If we're talking about Jewish politicians, well, then, I'm anti-genocide, they're pro-genocide; I'm anti-apartheid, they're pro-apartheid. Everything else just kinda seems like bullshit in comparison.

I mean, really, how would you feel about a KKK member who was strongly pro-choice, pro-universal health care, in favor of progressive taxation, and supported a more internationalist foreign policy, but just felt that black people should go back to Africa?

Wow, THIS is pretty fuckin offensive

I'm getting the impression that he meant Israeli Jewish politicians, in which case Than is mostly on point.
    I'm absolutely talking about American Jewish politicians

Are you going to say anything Mask, or is making blanket statements about Jews okay?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Israel has nukes.

Of course, if India and Pakistan are any example, the rest of the world does matter.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Israel has nukes.

Yeah, China isn't Cazypants, and NK is just saber-rattling and being dicks in the most insane way possible. Neither of them are nuking anybody.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Evander, do you disagree with the point that American Jewish politicians, in general, support Israel?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Ice_OrchidIce_Orchid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm getting the impression that he meant Israeli Jewish politicians, in which case Than is mostly on point.
    No, he was responding to my post about American Jewish politicians.

I'm absolutely talking about American Jewish politicians, and it's absolutely genocide, it's just genocide in slow fucking motion.

And it's fucking apartheid. I don't care what you say, that's what it fucking is, and I'm sick and tired of pussyfooting around it. Israel is the crazy paranoid schizophrenic of the Middle East, only they have more guns than most paranoid schizophrenics. And I don't even think it's a deliberate sort of genocide on the part of the state of Israel, it's just the natural result of their crazy-cat-lady policies.

Thanatos, ur an idiot who understands nothing about middle east politics. its not apartheid, cuz they have their own state, one that we have been helping them to build for ages now. we gave up autonomy in gaza and gave it to them. and the only reason for the entire "operation cast lead" was that they didnt stop firing rockets at us during a cease fire agreement, they crossed the fucking line there.
    If we actually WANTED land, we could take it. If we actually WANTED the Palestinians to be all killed off, we could do that. The fact that every single member of Hamas hasn't been killed is proof, already, that Israel ultimately wants peace. Just too bad that the Arab nations will never accept israel as a jewish state it is. and i wish there was ,but there is no one on the other side to talk to about peace.

P.S.
    to who ever said i ran away: i didnt i was busy doing some thing more important then this fruitless debate .

Ice_Orchid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are you going to say anything Mask, or is making blanket statements about Jews okay?

Are you saying that all Jews are American Jewish Politicians?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whats even going on here?

Evander is attempting to execute a masterpiece of performance art in order to prove Thanatos' point once and for all.

It's almost brilliant. I'm gonna get some snacks.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Jewish politicians [are] pro-genocide

How is this statement okay to ANYONE in here?

He's not saying "pro-Israel", he's saying "Jewish".

How is THAT not considered racism?

Evander on
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    Whats even going on here?

Evander is attempting to execute a masterpiece of performance art in order to prove Thanatos' point once and for all.

It's almost brilliant. I'm gonna get some snacks.

You're ruining it by making this observation in this thread.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ice_Orchid wrote: »
    ur an idiot

Please stop typing ironically.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay, seriously, type English properly. That's going to drive me insane.

Second, they don't have autonomy, because Israel has them blockaded. It's hard to claim sovereignty when you have to smuggle in all of your basic supplies.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think I've ever known a pro-Palestinian Jewish politician. If I did, I imagine they would never have gotten into office. They certainly aren't going to get the support of the American Jewish population.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Politicians.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The fact that every single member of Hamas hasn't been killed is proof, already, that Israel ultimately wants peace.

Nice.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'm absolutely talking about American Jewish politicians, and it's absolutely genocide, it's just genocide in slow fucking motion.

And it's fucking apartheid. I don't care what you say, that's what it fucking is, and I'm sick and tired of pussyfooting around it. Israel is the crazy paranoid schizophrenic of the Middle East, only they have more guns than most paranoid schizophrenics. And I don't even think it's a deliberate sort of genocide on the part of the state of Israel, it's just the natural result of their crazy-cat-lady policies.

Thanatos, ur an idiot who understands nothing about middle east politics. its not apartheid, cuz they have their own state, one that we have been helping them to build for ages now. we gave up autonomy in gaza and gave it to them. and the only reason for the entire "operation cast lead" was that they didnt stop firing rockets at us during a cease fire agreement, they crossed the fucking line there.
    If we actually WANTED land, we could take it. If we actually WANTED the Palestinians to be all killed off, we could do that. The fact that every single member of Hamas hasn't been killed is proof, already, that Israel ultimately wants peace. Just too bad that the Arab nations will never accept israel as a jewish state it is. and i wish there was ,but there is no one on the other side to talk to about peace.

P.S.
    to who ever said i ran away: i didnt i was busy doing some thing more important then this fruitless debate .

I think your initial intention to leave this forum and never come back was a great idea, you should re consider.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

He's obviously generalizing American Jewish Politicians as being pro-Israel. Is it true? No, there are possibly some who probably decry the Palestinian situation. Name names and you would be more convincing. But you're dodging his point about those who do support Israeli policies.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

How can Gaza be its own state when Israel controls its land, its borders, its roads, its people, its water, and its trade? And Israel is taking land from Palestine. Have you not heard of the wall, or the ever-expanding settlements? And Israel is killing off the Palestinians, they're just taking their time about it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Politicians.

that word makes it not racist?

so folks can freely generalize black politicians, or muslim politicians?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »
    The fact that every single member of Hamas hasn't been killed is proof, already, that Israel ultimately wants peace.

Nice.

This is actually the real truth behind the Holocaust. Notice the surviving Jews. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And Israel is killing off the Palestinians, they're just taking their time about it.

You could accuse the Palestinians of doing the same to the Israelis.

Evander on