As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E-mail Archiving Program

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
I'm looking for a program that will take E-mails, save them to a set of pre-designated folders, and name them appropriately.

I work for a law firm, and I basically want the attorneys to be able to stop printing out their e-mails; however, right now, in order to do that, they have to do a "file->save as," navigate to the spot to save it in, then hand-type the subject line. This is an enormous pain in the ass with the volume of e-mail they use, which means it's about ten times easier to hit file->print and cease worrying about it. I want a program which will enable us to do a file -> save as, type in a file number, have it navigate to that case file's e-mail folder on the network, then default it to saving it in the appropriate format with the date and subject line as the file name.

Is there a program that will do this for me, or am I just fucked?

Thanatos on

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you use Lotus Notes, you could probably whip something up in Lotus' scripting language....

Looks like Outlook will let you a) Start an application b) run a script, or c) perform an action upon receiving an email or moving an email to a folder, etc.

I've never looked into an Outlook script or creating a custom action in Outlook, but you could probably start there...

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You can do such a thing in postbox or thunderbird. Basically you make folders within your inbox and then you can set up message filters that send them directly to those folders.

Once that's done, you can back up the folders with whatever backup software you like (I'm using something called Areca).

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You can do such a thing in postbox or thunderbird. Basically you make folders within your inbox and then you can set up message filters that send them directly to those folders.

Once that's done, you can back up the folders with whatever backup software you like (I'm using something called Areca).
    Outlook is pretty much a must-have at this point.

And we don't use Lotus Notes; just WordPerfect, Office, and Outlook. XP environment, if that matters.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Help me, dammit.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

There should be no reason why you can't have Thunderbird/Postbox talk to the Exchange server (which does IMAP... right?). You can continue using Outlook if you want to.

This sort of thing is also a fairly simple job for a UNIX machine, so if you guys have a decent technical support guy (this is not guaranteed, by any means), he should be able to whip up a server-side thing in a day

Lewisham on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    If you use Lotus Notes, you could probably whip something up in Lotus' scripting language....

Looks like Outlook will let you a) Start an application b) run a script, or c) perform an action upon receiving an email or moving an email to a folder, etc.

I've never looked into an Outlook script or creating a custom action in Outlook, but you could probably start there...

I second this. The stuff you need to do should be possible in a Macro. Then just add a button to Outlook that calls the macro. I imagine someone with knowledge in Outlook scripting could do this in half an hour. (Note: I know nothing about outlook scripting, so this might not be true)

What's wrong with this solution, Thanatos?

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »

There should be no reason why you can't have Thunderbird/Postbox talk to the Exchange server (which does IMAP... right?). You can continue using Outlook if you want to.

This sort of thing is also a fairly simple job for a UNIX machine, so if you guys have a decent technical support guy (this is not guaranteed, by any means), he should be able to whip up a server-side thing in a day
    I am the technical support guy (this is not a large office by any means). And I was hoping for a product that could do this out-of-box with minimal setup (I wouldn't mind having to do some configuration).
    Grobian wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »

I second this. The stuff you need to do should be possible in a Macro. Then just add a button to Outlook that calls the macro. I imagine someone with knowledge in Outlook scripting could do this in half an hour. (Note: I know nothing about outlook scripting, so this might not be true)

What's wrong with this solution, Thanatos?
    I really don't have a day to spend to figure out how to do this, because IT Coordinator is one of about four hats I wear, and I have no idea how the hell Outlook scripting works.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I did manage to dig up a Office plugin that'll do exactly what you're looking for...
    MessageSave benefits
    Backup, save and archive Outlook messages on hard disk, network drive, CD-R, etc.
    Save Outlook email messages, including attachments, as individual files.
    Organize messages in file system folders for easy access, sharing and filing.
    Institute consistent email archiving policy in your organization.
    Keep email message along with other related documents.
    Store messages for legal compliance.
    Keep audit trail of email messages.
    Standardize your organization's email storage policy.
    Reduce mailbox/PST size. Offload Exchange storage.
    Automatically save messages with Outlook rules.
    Process Outlook messages with custom scripts.
    And much more ...

You can achieve all of the above benefits without having to maintain a complex, expensive server-based solution. MessageSave integrates directly with Outlook for simplicity and ease-of-use, while providing flexibility and a level of customization required by power-users.

Read about the benefits of storing email in the file system, as opposed to PSTs or Exchange mailbox. We have put together a few examples on how MessageSave can help you address your email management needs.
    Features
    Integrated with Outlook for one-click access.
    Easily save one, multiple or all messages with one mouse click.
    Flexible and customizable file and subfolder naming.
    Save messages in .msg, .txt, .eml, mbox* , vCard (.vcf) and iCalendar (.ics) formats.
    Works on sent and received messages.
    Saved .msg files include the entire message content, including attachments.
    Compatible with Windows Desktop Search for easy searching and retrieval of saved messages.
    Works on Tasks and Contacts.
    Works on Public Folders.
    Extensible with custom scripts. API reference.
    Automatically save messages with Outlook rules (custom rule action) or using a scheduler.
    Export Outlook folders as RSS 2.0 files.
    Read messages in plain text without annoying images and popups.
    Easily view/save full Internet (RFC 822) message headers.
    Highly optimized for speed and size (download is only 420KB).
    Compatible with Outlook 2000, 2002 (XP), 2003 and 2007.
    Supports large-scale deployment and administration.
    An ability to centrally control settings by system administrators.
    Export email messages, Contacts and Calendar in format compatible with Apple Mail and Entourage.
    ...but it's unfortunately not free:
    Volume Discounts
    1 - 4 $38.45
    5 - 9 $36.14
    10+ $33.83
    For quantities over 20 licenses,
    please contact us for a quote.

Then again, if this saves you from printing a lot of emails then I suppose it won't take long before you'd start saving money on something like this...

http://www.techhit.com/messagesave/

Dírhael on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is your problem capacity vs retention, or is it that emails need to be saved to a customer folder/file for retention?

If the first, you could use a program like GFI MailArchiver. Alternatively, you could just perform monthly archived backups of your mail store and retain deleted content for 120 days (at minimum, this should be set to a few days longer than your archived backup cycle.) The alternative solution may eliminate the cost of additional storage and software, but its time consuming to restore, and provides little to no searching capability against the mailboxes prior to a recovery restore.

If the latter, you could still accomplish a solution using the previous suggestion and a Public Folder store. It might require the user to move these emails to the appropriate public folder, but the retention would be covered by your archiving software or backup policy.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Not free" isn't a problem; we're a small firm, not a broke one (though, don't get me wrong, free would be great; cheap is good, also).

And this needs to be archived and accessible both for retention and for access purposes. Obviously, storing all of these e-mails on the exchange server just isn't an option. I'm gonna check out that messagesave program when I get a chance.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Not free" isn't a problem; we're a small firm, not a broke one (though, don't get me wrong, free would be great; cheap is good, also).

And this needs to be archived and accessible both for retention and for access purposes. Obviously, storing all of these e-mails on the exchange server just isn't an option. I'm gonna check out that messagesave program when I get a chance.

MailArchiver should allow your users to access the emails. I believe it offloads emails to a SQL database, and integrates with the Outlook interface, so your users would still have access to the emails and be able to search against them. Mail Archiver supports public folders, so you can centralize those emails to a Public Folder and set up client specific subfolders.
    mar-outlookfolder-264.png

GFI does free trials, too, so you can give it a spin and see if it suits your needs. Its approximately $30/mailbox.

We've used and liked their SpamFiltering program before switching to AppRiver filtering. Nothing against GFI, its just more appealing to clean emails before they hit your server.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I had another idea about this this morning on my way to work. Have people print them into PDFs and then save them in whatever file scheme you like. They'd be searchable and easily backed up/resorted as required.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I had another idea about this this morning on my way to work. Have people print them into PDFs and then save them in whatever file scheme you like. They'd be searchable and easily backed up/resorted as required.
    Boy, this is a quick and relatively clean solution. Is there a way to force it to default documents printed to .pdf to be stored somewhere?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Boy, this is a quick and relatively clean solution. Is there a way to force it to default documents printed to .pdf to be stored somewhere?

Not that I know of (I don't fully understand the question). I use something called PrimoPDF at work a whole lot (http://www.primopdf.com/) and it sort of remembers where your last PDF was saved so you can print to that same spot again.

The other thing I thought of was that in a lawyer's office there may be a requirement for having permanent hardcopy of communications (in the architect's office where I work we have to hang onto stuff for 7 or 15 years, depending) so that might be something worth looking at.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I would be concerned that you are relying on a human element to do something. When I was IT guy, I could rely on people to not do something, but expecting them to do some work was generally out of the question.

If you trust them to be diligent, then this works. If not (which is actually why I thought you had brought this up in the first place), I'd be inclined to go for the software that Dirhael mentioned.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    To force PDF as default, make the PDF printer the default printer in the control panel.

But you know Outlook has a better way to handle this. It is called Archiving. There is even an Auto Archive function. Set it up to archive mail older than x days every y days. Set it and forget it. You'll still see it in Outlook as a separate "file" called Archive (or you can name it something else).

The archive is stored on the local machine. You can then run backup scripts to store it on a central file server (NOTE: Outlook will lock the files while it is running, so you'll have to force close Outlook to back up the files if it is running).

Also, with Outlook Rules/Filters you can automatically sort everything into folders under the Inbox, which then gets automatically set up in the archive. It's really magical, for something as beastly as Outlook.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd setup an organizational mailbox (ie just another user, but multiple people in the organization have access to it). Create sub folders for the cases. Users would just drag and drop the messages into the appropriate folder (or create a new case folder).

Then I would back it up to PST weekly/monthly/whenever. File > Import / Export allows you to save as many formats, just choose PST (also include subfolders).

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bigwah wrote: »
    I'd setup an organizational mailbox (ie just another user, but multiple people in the organization have access to it). Create sub folders for the cases. Users would just drag and drop the messages into the appropriate folder (or create a new case folder).

Then I would back it up to PST weekly/monthly/whenever. File > Import / Export allows you to save as many formats, just choose PST (also include subfolders).

WTF?! NO!

PSTs are notoriously unreliable, especially at excessive sizes. Its fine for certain tasks, like transfering mailbox data with EXMERGE, but you should NEVER rely on PSTs for long term storage of critical data.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bigwah wrote: »

WTF?! NO!

PSTs are notoriously unreliable, especially at excessive sizes. Its fine for certain tasks, like transfering mailbox data with EXMERGE, but you should NEVER rely on PSTs for long term storage of critical data.
    PSTs from versions of Outlook prior to 2002 would certainly become instantly corrupt at about 2G of email. Newer versions have no such limit. Though it is indeed not a good long term storage option.

If Outlook rules allow you to start a script when the rule condition is met you could have it run a script that extracts the subject line from the message and automatically saves it in the appropriate folder. If you want to pdfize it, you could do the print to pdf thing, for which there are a ton of great freeware options. Alternatively, there is a library for Python called ReportLab, which I've used a couple times, which lets you create pdf. For straight text, its a pretty simple process of about 4 lines of setting of the pdf canvas/font info, then just feeding lines of text into the function that writes it. Of course that only works if Outlook lets you run Python scripts and you know Python.

edit: Hmm, you know, the win32com library seems to allow read/write support for pst files. I bet it would be possible to write a script that would scan the pst file at regular intervals (as long as Outlook isn't locking it) and extract any messages stored in it, convert it to pdf with attachments if necessary (apparently you can do that with pdfs!) and put in a folder based on what folder it was in in the pst file. That way your users would only have to drag their messages into the correct folder in pst file, and the script would just pull them out every night. Probably a little involved for your purposes, but that might actually be handy over where I work.

/musing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man you guys are coming up with all kinds of complicated ways around this. Trust me, archiving just works. I worked at a place where the owners of the company were getting 2GB of mail a week (the limit on the shared hosting-provided exchange server). We had autoarchive set up for daily archiving of anything older than some number of days, or anything bigger than so many megabytes.

Then us poor IT folk had to draw straws every week on who stays up til 3am moving it to 3 locations on the network (they required computers at every office even if they worked from home 99% of the time...).

They have, to this day, PST files of over 20GB each, some probably 60GB or so. They compress well and have not had any problems. The main thing is closing outlook to unlock the files for backup.

You can even later extract individual messages as .msg files from the PSTs.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream