As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Writing/Recording Music with Gapless Playback

XenosX_XenosX_ Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am an amateur musician who is currently trying to record an album of instrumental rock/metal music. I'm about two-thirds of the way done, with most of the music written and half of it recorded. However, I feel that I would be capable of modifying what I've done slightly to conform to the continuous play style common of prog rock or concept albums. Not necessarily as tight as 'Colors' by Between the Buried and Me, which is essentially one 80 minute song, but more like separate songs which have smooth transitions. Anyhow, the Digital Audio Workstation I'm using (Mixcraft) for some reason adds a few seconds of silence after what you've done when you mix the song down, which I guess is tasteful when you're not trying to do what I am. I can't seem to find a way to turn this 'feature' off either. Are there any other DAWs in which I can open the exported mp3 and with which I can chop off the silence that won't add this annoying silence? Furthermore, is there something special I have to do with gapless playback settings which will allow Music Managers (I use iTunes) to play through the songs smoothly, or does that happen automatically with songs which don't have any buffer at the end?

Any help would be much appreciated.

XenosX_ on

• Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With any piece of commercial software, if you've paid for it you might as well take advantage of that and use the support provided. A quick search on their support site netted me this. The short version is that your software has two different CD burning engines, something called Goldenhawk that allows gapless tracks when burning, and standard Windows IMAPI which forces a 2-second gap between tracks. So try switching to Goldenhawk in the CD burning preferences I guess?

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer