As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gentlemen... we have a situation (Man the cold war was crazy...)

ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up.MichiganRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Social Entropy++
So i was wiki article jumping today and got on a kick of reading about sea disasters... I stumbled upon this one which i'd forgotten about after seeing some history channel show on it years ago...

In march of 1968 Soviet diesel-electric submarine K-129 sank to the bottom of the pacific ocean under mysterious circumstances accident killing all 98 comrades on board. After the soviets were unable to locate the wreck we sent an american sub to check it out and we happened upon it rather quickly...

well, in 1970 we realize that there's probably a wealth of intelligence onboard so we get the OK from nixon to try and recover a nuclear submarine at over 2 miles of depth.... Project Jennifer was a go

Enter Howard hughes and the Glomar Explorer

a MASSIVE ship that opens in the bottom and a giant crane goes down to pick up the sub.

exp2.jpg

Basically its the worlds largest "crane game" only the prize in this one was hopefully a ton of russian secrets and missle tech.

so this glomar explorer is built and sent out under a cover story of doing some sort of mining and actually manages to recover part of the sub.

We claim to only have retrieved the foreward most 38 feet of the sub, which included a couple missles, some cypher machines, and 6 bodies. But who really knows....

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
Zephos on

• Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How many quarters did it take for them to get it?

Quethal on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I find this mildly interesting.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tubular Storage makes me think of the Ninja Turtles

Stationary on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    go read Blind Man's Bluff

Usagi on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sea disasters are terryfing though...

this freighter was sinking in the great lakes, and it split in two... the crew was on the bow in a life raft waiting for the ship to go down and let them into the water when they spot another ship.... pretty quickly they realize that its the stern of their ship, still under engine power steaming around twards them and it collides with the stern part.

there wound up being 1 survivor, he survived in just boxer shorts, a pea coat and a life jacket in frigid 40 degree michigan november weather.

Zephos on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    We claim to only have retrieved the foreward most 38 feet of the sub, which included a couple missles, some cypher machines, and 6 bodies. But who really knows....

So how many aliens, Leviathans, space-time machines, and doomsday devices did we also pick up?

Also how many portals to Hell were opened?

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

So how many aliens, Leviathans, space-time machines, and doomsday devices did we also pick up?

I'm not trying to claim we wound up with the whole sub, the whole thing is just kind of mysterious. the location is still pretty much top top secret still too.

Zephos on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I'm not trying to claim we wound up with the whole sub, the whole thing is just kind of mysterious. the location is still pretty much top top secret still too.

you're making it out to have much more intrigue than the reality

the Project Jennifer wiki article has some decent information, but I really suggest reading both Blind Man's Bluff and The Hunt for Red September if you're interested in that and other subsea/submarine cold war evolutions

Usagi on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    aw what the fuck

i googled "crazy cold war tech" and this thread is the first fucking hit

so counterproductive

Faricazy on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    7 Minutes To Armageddon

If you've ever had to give your boss really, really bad news, you can imagine how officers in Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado, felt when their radar screens lit up with 2200 Soviet missiles.

The "launch on warning" protocols required confirmation, followed by the immediate notification of then-President Jimmy Carter.

When other tracking stations reported all clear, the mystery deepened. With supposedly only 7 minutes left to launch U.S. ICBMs, the mystery was solved. Someone had put a training tape on the wrong machine-it was literally a textbook attack.

whooooooops

Faricazy on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    There was a similar situation with some russian guy who realized the attacks they were seeing were false.

bombardier on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thank goodness we don't trust such important things to computers anymore.

The Otaku Suppository on