As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excel is making my head hurt

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have 2 spreadsheets. One has 800 entries with 3 columns (First Name, Last Name, Email). The other has 6,000 entries with 4 columns (First Name, Last Name, Email, Account #). I need to somehow get the account numbers on to the smaller spreadsheet. It seems like I should be able to do it, but I'm blanking out.

The smaller spreadsheet is a subset of the larger one, so everyone that is on the smaller one is on the larger one.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't get it, the 800 names on the smaller sheet also exist on the larger sheet, but with account numbers as well? Because then the larger sheet already has everything you need from the smaller sheet.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    vlookup will do exactly what you are trying to do.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP052093351033.aspx

chamberlain on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks chamberlain, vlookup did it! I couldn't get it to span sheets, but I just pasted the small list to the right of the big list.

Septus, the larger sheet did have everything I need, but it also had a bunch of stuff I didn't need. It didn't have the 800 marked in any way, they were randomly throughout.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    vlookup should go across sheets. I always rename the data field that im fetching through excel and just use that.

Spherick on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, VLOOKUP definitely does span sheets and workbooks.

Type the first part: =VLOOKUP(A2,
    then use the mouse to select the other worksheet, and highlight the columns in question. The entire columns.

Then hit a comma and finish the formula. Super easy.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH