As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help save my computer

OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
my other desktop has been screwed for some time, i tried fixing it when it first happened but had no luck.
I could actually use a second computer again so i am having another go at fixing it.
I was greeted with the following screen one day for no apparent reason
4903_222019030524_671330524_7496265_5200041_n.jpg
when i turn the pc on i get a safe mode select screen and whatever option i choose i get the blue screen above.
So is my computer junked or is there something really simple i can do that i was too stupid to figure out?

Octobot on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sounds like your hardrive is going bad. try reformatting.

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah, just put in the windows cd, boot from cd, follow the prompts, and you should be good. you will lose all your data that was on the hard drive, but it should work fine afterwards.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    NaeblissNaebliss Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This probably isn't the problem, but my computer did that when i got service pack 3. I found out that it was a compatibility problem with my motherboard. The fix was to remove all usb devices (including mouse and keyboard) while the comp boots up then uninstall sp3 once your in.

Naebliss on
    This couch is the comfiest!
    Street Fighter 4 (pc): sdurien
    Steam: Jon http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561197970923897/home
  • Options
    OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    got it up and running (posting from there now) ended up doing as suggested and formatting and reinstalling windows. had some problems updating and it seems to crash alot, but it should work fine for what i need it to do. thank you all for you help

*back on main computer*
    wasnt sure that post went up as it kept crashing internet explorer when i went to post it. the computer also wont shut down now, when i do shut it down it just starts back up. but at least i have a usable computer and it should fill the role i need it to (kids junk computer/media server). so thanks again!

Octobot on
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Could be a memory or mobo issue. Doubt its a windows issue because it would more then likely have given you a system file that exploded. Hard drive is still an option but it wouldn't normally cause the system to refuse to shut down. If you can try to update the bios on your mobo and if you can make sure you memory settings are crappy memory friendly. High latency and low speed.

Topweasel on