As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Attempted to upgrade computer, now it won't boot

P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
I just got a new E8400 Intel Core 2 Duo processor from Newegg, as well as a 120mm Antec fan, with the intent of replacing my old E4300 Intel Core 2 Duo. I screwed the fan into the case and got it running by connecting it to the power supply, then I replaced my CPU. With the new CPU in, I went to test my computer to see if it worked before I went to switch out my GPU, and the computer didn't start. Both of my case fans, as well as the fan on the new CPU heatsink, would spin and seemed fine, but my monitor would stay black, no BIOS, no nothing.

My motherboard is an Intel DP35DP, which according to the Intel website should be compatible with my new E8400, as long as I have a minimum BIOS version of 0484. I don't know what my BIOS version is and I don't have a way of checking right now. I am pretty certain my power supply is an Antec Earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power PSU but it came with my case so I'm not 100% certain.

I've tried reverting to using my old CPU and the computer still doesn't work. I've tried setting the BIOS to launch to configure/recovery instead of normal and it didn't work. I've removed the RAM to see if the RAM was faulty and had no luck. Right now I've removed the power to the motherboard and removed it's battery, and I'm currently waiting so that the BIOS will be cleared/reset.

If that doesn't work, what other steps should I follow to get my computer to work? Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
P10 on

• Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Remove all extra stuff (all but one stick of ram, GPU if mobo has onboard, soundcards, harddrives, pci cards). Make sure the mobo speaker is connected. Reference mobo manual online for troubleshooting the speaker sounds.

Sounds like the BIOS wasnt at the correct level to handle the new CPU and the BIOS has maybe been corrupted? But the recovery mode should have fixed that.

Worst case scenario, you shorted something with a shocking touch of love.

EDIT:
    Here is your mobo BIOS beeps: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010249.htm

Also, for recovery, did you have a CD/USB flash drive in computer with newest BIOS?

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Removing the battery doesn't always reset the BIOS. Check the motherboard manual for the specific process of clearing the settings, it may involve moving a jumper.

Why is your CPU fan hooked up to the power supply and not the CPU fan motherboard header? It may be that your motherboard is booting, but because it doesn't detect a CPU fan installed it is halting. Try plugging the old fan into the CPU header and see what happens.

Do you get any beeps at all? When you removed the RAM did you remove all of it? Even with no memory the system should still give you POST beeps to indicate an error. Have you pulled the video card? Same thing, even with no video it should still POST and give the appropriate error.

Lastly, you should have checked your BIOS version and upgraded as necessary before going down this path. Manufacturer's provide tons of documentation to ensure parts compatibility so its your responsibility to look this stuff up before building or upgrading. The motherboard manufacturer's site should provide instructions on how determine the BIOS version once you get it fixed. It may also be printed on a sticker on the motherboard.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    Removing the battery doesn't always reset the BIOS. Check the motherboard manual for the specific process of clearing the settings, it may involve moving a jumper.
    The jumper has three settings. Normal boot, which doesn't work, configure, which runs after POST (and I don't make it to POST), and recovery, which hasn't solved my problem. The Intel motherboard manual for the DP35DP doesn't have a guide to clearing the BIOS settings that I can find
    Why is your CPU fan hooked up to the power supply and not the CPU fan motherboard header? It may be that your motherboard is booting, but because it doesn't detect a CPU fan installed it is halting. Try plugging the old fan into the CPU header and see what happens.
    My CPU fan is hooked up the motherboard, and both of my case fans are hooked up to the power supply. My newest case fan has the option to be hooked up to the motherboard instead of the power supply, but I've tried both settings and neither has made a difference.
    Do you get any beeps at all? When you removed the RAM did you remove all of it? Even with no memory the system should still give you POST beeps to indicate an error. Have you pulled the video card? Same thing, even with no video it should still POST and give the appropriate error.
    I got three beeps when I had no RAM in, but typically I get no beeps at all. I haven't messed with the video card at all yet.
    Lastly, you should have checked your BIOS version and upgraded as necessary before going down this path. Manufacturer's provide tons of documentation to ensure parts compatibility so its your responsibility to look this stuff up before building or upgrading. The motherboard manufacturer's site should provide instructions on how determine the BIOS version once you get it fixed. It may also be printed on a sticker on the motherboard.
    Yes, I understand that I'm dumb and I should have double checked to make sure the BIOS was compatible between the motherboard and CPU.
    Bigwah wrote:
    Also, for recovery, did you have a CD/USB flash drive in computer with newest BIOS?
    No. I'll try that. Looking at Intel's website for BIOS updating, it sounds like I have to boot to check the version of BIOS, although I'll see if I can check my current version anyway. I'll try recovering to a 0484 or more recent version of BIOS and see if it works.

P10 on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you get three beeps with no memory installed, and nothing when the memory is installed, then this is pointing to your problem. 3 beeps is the POST code for no memory, meaning it is doing its self diagnostics and telling you it needs memory. Try installing one stick of memory and see if it starts up. Move the stick to each slot. Then try the other stick, same thing. See what happens. Could be a bad stick of memory, a bad memory controller on the board, a bad memory slot, or the timings in BIOS are so borked that it wont accept that memory for some reason.

As to the jumper, make sure and read the directions very carefully for the recovery option. Some of them require the unit to be plugged in, others not, some require the battery to be pulled after moving the jumper, and other oddities.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    As to the jumper, make sure and read the directions very carefully for the recovery option. Some of them require the unit to be plugged in, others not, some require the battery to be pulled after moving the jumper, and other oddities.
    I found the relevant information on the Intel website about how to complete a BIOS recovery and it sounds like this might be what I'm looking for. I'll be trying it shortly.

/edit: BIOS recovery fixed it! Yay! Now my computer is for the most part working like it was before I screwed everything up!

P10 on