As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Faction: Guerrilla *CREAK* *CRASH* *EURGH*

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rise thread!

Red Faction Armageddon announced with a trailer!

From the look of the trailer, Earth didn't like the uprising. They shell the shit out or Mars and send everyone underground. The game takes place in the Mines of the first game. And now there's aliens! Or, well, Martians.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I spotted a sledgehammer!

Also plenty of stuff being smashed. Although I wonder if underground will have large enough areas to drive a truck through buildings.

Still, I dunno. Lots of unanswered questions, and the underground stuff worries me. Also the aliens thing doesn't interest me at all, worker's uprising on Mars seems like a way more interesting setup than "OMG MONSTERS!"

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If we can have aliens bursting through walls/floors/ceilings to eat your screaming face I will be satisfied.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    From one of the screenshots, it seems you can somehow "rebuild" buildings or something. It's that image that shows like a purple silhouette of a bridge.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well my pants went tight. Course I worry theres no sign of Mjoliner...I mean gravity hammers in the trailer. No more screaming that I'm Thor as I swing my way through a building.

*Edit*
    Okay theres a hammer in the darkness but no idea if its still at Asguard level of crazyness like it was in the last game :p

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    From one of the screenshots, it seems you can somehow "rebuild" buildings or something. It's that image that shows like a purple silhouette of a bridge.

In Guerrilla there was a repair gun in multiplayer that would rebuild/repair destroyed/damaged structures. Even a gametype based around causing the most structural damage, where one guy would get his team points by blowing shit up, and his team would protect him from the enemy team and repair damage so he had more stuff to destroy. If someone killed him they became the destroyer. It was pretty rocking.

I always wished they'd give it to you in single player.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I remember it was on multi, hopefully this is in single. But since it's a sequel and it should improve upon the original, I'm hoping even more that there's some sort of building construction tool!

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Looks like it's been refined into a gauntlet with a purple berry flavor.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I remember it was on multi, hopefully this is in single. But since it's a sequel and it should improve upon the original, I'm hoping even more that there's some sort of building construction tool!

Yeah being able to build new stuff would be so awesome

Arrath on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe they replace the sledgehammer with a claw hammer and the twist is you build stuff.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hell yeah I'll be picking up that shit

I just have to decide what platform to do so, since the PC port for the last one wasn't super functional

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

I just have to decide what platform to do so, since the PC port for the last one wasn't super functional

Oh God tell me about it, I had to wait months for a patch that made the game not run at 2.0x speed.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arrath wrote: »

In Guerrilla there was a repair gun in multiplayer that would rebuild destroyed structures. It was pretty rocking.

There's a mod that gives it to you but rebuilding broken things often makes it come crashing down again even when it's nice and rebuilt

which is kind of awesome on its own

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Arrath wrote: »

In Guerrilla there was a repair gun in multiplayer that would rebuild destroyed structures. It was pretty rocking.

There's a mod that gives it to you but rebuilding broken things often makes it come crashing down again even when it's nice and rebuilt

which is kind of awesome on its own

That sounds pretty cool, and a bit hilarious.

But I have it on the Xbox. Heh.

Arrath on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, that was shit hot and my erection is big enough to kill. The animation when he got into that mech/power suit was pretty fucking sweet, and now I'm going to have to go home and put RFG into my 360 and break some shit again.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Oh God tell me about it, I had to wait months for a patch that made the game not run at 2.0x speed.

I played it on XP and all I had to do was set it to minimal core usage or some shit, which was still annoying and dumb, but it worked fine

But now I have Windows 7 which means I'm very wary of any new PC ports

Plus Guerilla used Games for Windows Live for multiplayer and because Games for Windows Live is the biggest soggiest most bloated piece of shit ever developed, it would not download the patch so I never got to play multiplayer ever

So maybe if it comes out for the PS3 I'll get it for that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's funny because they brought in another dev to do the RF:G's port "right" because of how abominable Saint's Row 2 PC version was.

PC gaming: on the forefront. Of... something.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It's funny because they brought in another dev to do the RF:G's port "right" because of how abominable Saint's Row 2 PC version was.

PC gaming: on the forefront. Of... something.

RF:G's port is "Right" compared to Saint's Row 2's port.

Seriously though I know PC sales aren't that big but can't you pony up the change to get an already made game ported over to it properly? Most PC ports are fine these days

override367 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like the darker direction, I like the move back underground, and I even like the Martian designs.

The only thing I'm worried about is losing the sense of freedom Guerrilla had. But it is quite possible to make huge underground cavern with small cities in them - pretty sure I remember the original Red Faction having largish caverns with buildings in them.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Original had submarines!

Just wondering how much you'll be able to destroy the tunnel walls or if they'll be primarily undestructable like the terrain in RF: G

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Just wondering how much you'll be able to destroy the tunnel walls or if they'll be primarily undestructable like the terrain in RF: G

I feel like that's the only reason they'd set it underground, is underground tunnel forming and terrain deformation

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So ahh... if there is terrain deformation I'm buying it day 1. If not, then I'll probably wait until I can find it cheap.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just thought I should mention that anyone who still has RF:G should totally keep playing online. Multiplayer isn't dead but its waning. The modes really are a lot of fun and the backpack system adds a nice flavor.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only bad thing about RF:G's multiplayer was certain maps never ever got played. I checked out the selection offline one time and was like holy crap.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    I just thought I should mention that anyone who still has RF:G should totally keep playing online. Multiplayer isn't dead but its waning. The modes really are a lot of fun and the backpack system adds a nice flavor.

Again, I would have, if Games for Windows Live fucking let me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I feel like that's the only reason they'd set it underground, is underground tunnel forming and terrain deformation

Oh my god if that is in....aaaaah

Arrath on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But does making what I assume is basically Dead Space on Mars mean they are going to ignore GeoMod 2.0?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looks nice. I'll keep an eye on this.

And I definitely hope that there's a way to permanently rebuild structures as that trailer seems to show. That was one of the disappointments with RF:G for me when I look back on it. Once you'd blown something up, it was gone for good. It was nice that the world was persistent, but if you had a rash of creative destructive tendencies, then the world could get very empty, very quickly.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    But does making what I assume is basically Dead Space on Mars mean they are going to ignore GeoMod 2.0?

No, there definitely seemed to be buildings and structures underground to level

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    All I need to see is demolition challenges and I'll be 100% on board.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looking forward to the new Red Faction. I wonder if the "Martians" are remnants of the genetic experiments in the original Red Faction?

SteevL on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Looking forward to the new Red Faction. I wonder if the "Martians" are remnants of the genetic experiments in the original Red Faction?

That's what I was thinking once I saw them. The
    Augmented super-soldiers and crazy sewer dwelling monsters
    in RF2 just seems to confirm it to me.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I played it on XP and all I had to do was set it to minimal core usage or some shit, which was still annoying and dumb, but it worked fine

But now I have Windows 7 which means I'm very wary of any new PC ports

Plus Guerilla used Games for Windows Live for multiplayer and because Games for Windows Live is the biggest soggiest most bloated piece of shit ever developed, it would not download the patch so I never got to play multiplayer ever

So maybe if it comes out for the PS3 I'll get it for that

On Win7 the only work-around was installing Cheat Engine and setting the game to slow-motion, however some sections still ran weird, and often vehicles would suddenly accelerate to infinite speed instantly.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    G4 had a hands on preview of the new Red Faction. It looks beautiful. I wasn't sure about the whole underground thing, but these caverns are massive. At first it looked like a nighttime sky. They also showed one of the coolest guns I have ever seen, the magnet gun. First shot puts out a marker. When the second shot lands, whatever is around the marker gets sucked to the second shot at very high speeds. It's a lot like the gravity gun from HL2.. only upgraded... and in a game with fully destructible everything.

Shoot lightpost, shoot building, the light post goes flying into the building. Cool

Shoot building, shoot and enemy. A room sized chunk of the building flies at the enemy, takes it out and keeps going. Wow

There was also the repair gun (in campaign), a cool mech suit (much more advanced tech, multi target lock on, shot blue plasma like missiles), and some scary looking enemies. I did see him break through a rock with the mech, but I didn't see any other terrain deformation, so I don't know if you will be able to dig, make holes in rock walls, or cause a cave in.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3iF5TUCL4#t=1m48s

Looks fun, still want to see vehicles and demolition challenges return for the full Space Asshole 2.0 experience.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, that looks awesome.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FUCK YES. New Red Faction. Damn it to hell, I love wrecking shit. Hammers better still be in it.

I AM THOR, FUCKERS *WHAM* (Enemy goes careening sideways)

Kazaka on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Still doesn't look like terrain is deformable :x

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That magnet gun looks like it will lead to glorious shenanigans. I am already imagining the possibilities.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am imagining killing myself so many fucking times.

"Whoops, forgot that I'm between that wall and the target!"

*squish*

"FUCKING GODDAMN SONOFABITCH NOT AGAIN"

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png