As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Smoothie Recipes

Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently purchased a small blender/smoothie maker specifically because I want to start eating a better, but still quick breakfast in the morning. It's kind of a bitch navigating the net trying to find good recipes for it because I swear every site you find is plastered in ads and all sorts of flash gimmickry.

So, H/A, bring on your best smoothie recipes please.

(Though I'm currently looking for good breakfast ideas, I'm also interested in any other types you like to make as well.)

Dark_Side on

• Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish I had actual amounts to give you but I always just wing it but I basically mix:

-strawberries
    -some plain yogurt
    -orange juice
    -ice cubes

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sebbie wrote: »
    I wish I had actual amounts to give you but I always just wing it but I basically mix:

-strawberries
    -some plain yogurt
    -orange juice
    -ice cubes

I do the same as above but with a banana added and some times different berries in there too.

RenegadeSilence on
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can cut or eliminate the ice (which sometimes makes the smoothie taste watery) by using frozen fruit. I buy frozen berries when they're on sale, and freeze bananas when they get too soft and save them for making smoothies. Other good additions are honey, nuts, greek yogurt, avocado.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I also add oatmeal. Rolled oats, blend until powdered, then add low fat yogurt and frozen fruit. I usually do bananas and blueberries. Mmm.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sweet, some good tips in here. These all sound like where I was going with my concoctions, so at least I'm not way off base.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    xa52 wrote: »
    You can cut or eliminate the ice (which sometimes makes the smoothie taste watery) by using frozen fruit. I buy frozen berries when they're on sale, and freeze bananas when they get too soft and save them for making smoothies. Other good additions are honey, nuts, greek yogurt, avocado.

My smoothies are pure fruit. Some frozen, some fresh, and maybe some juice for good measure. Costco sells a gigantic bag of frozen strawberries for dirt cheap.

Also, here's my favorite smoothie-like recipe. I call it 'vegan avocado yogurt', since it has a taste and consistency almost unnervingly like yogurt:
    - 1 avocado
    - a handful of frozen strawberries
    - Honey (to taste)

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    xa52 wrote: »

My smoothies are pure fruit. Some frozen, some fresh, and maybe some juice for good measure. Costco sells a gigantic bag of frozen strawberries for dirt cheap.

Also, here's my favorite smoothie-like recipe. I call it 'vegan avocado yogurt', since it has a taste and consistency almost unnervingly like yogurt:
    - 1 avocado
    - a handful of frozen strawberries
    - Honey (to taste)

Damn...that sounds good. And I love me some Avocado.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    PryanPryan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is totally my favorite

-Honey nut cheerios (not too many, pulverize into a powder)
    -Frozen strawberries
    -Banana
    -Plain yogurt
    -Skim milk
    -Small bit of natural peanut butter

My fiancee has lovingly dubbed this "The Elvis"

Pryan on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is my post-workout smoothie of choice:

-6 ice cubes
    -8oz Mango Banana Peach juice.
    -1 sliced Mango or Peach
    -1 scoop whey protein

It's just as good without the protein, but I use vanilla-flavored whey and it really adds a nice touch of flavor.

Edit: "The Elvis" sounds amazing. I'm doing that immediately.

Reckless on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My smoothies:

Frozen fruit
    Ice cubes
    Fruit juice
    Yogurt

I use different types and quantities of each, it's hard to screw up IMO but my favorite juice for smoothies is easily no-name pineapple-passion fruit (100% actual juice).

Dman on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I make mine with frozen berries, some low fat yoghurt, some juice, something sweet, some cereal grains and all the juice I can squeeze out of a lime.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Try making a mango lassi if you like mangos. It's super delicious
    Basically,
    Mango
    Milk
    Sugar
    Plain yogurt

and occasionaly something like cardamom or pistachios or whatever. Actual quantities can be found in many mango lassi recipes online.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When you all say plain yogurt, what flavor classifies as plain? Plain as in, nothing fancy? Because I literally have vanilla yogurt, which is as plain as it gets.

Also, how much yogurt? Like, can there be a ratio for _oz. yogurt/_oz. fruit

Black Ice on
  • Options
    KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vanilla yogurt =/= plain yogurt. Plain yogurt literally has no flavoring agents in it. Typically it's sold in larger containers than single-serving yogurts.

I've tried vanilla yogurt in some recipes that called for plain, and it usually doesn't work - the vanilla flavor is too strong.

Kevdog on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah. As Kevdog said, plain yogurt is just yogurt: dairy and bacteria. Vanilla yogurt = plain yogurt + vanilla flavoring (and probably a sweetener).

As for ratios, I'd say just experiment and see what tastes good. Whenever I make smoothies with yogurt, I'd estimate that I've maybe got 3 or 4 parts fruit for every 1 part yogurt, but what I normally do is eyeball it and then tweak accordingly based on how it tastes.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the amount of nutrition you get from it, would you recommend smoothies as a breakfast replacement on the cheap? Also would I feel full for cheap? I'm a laborer so this is important lol.

I've never made them but this post has given me the idea that smoothies every morning could be a delicious and healthy way to start my day. As long as it's cheap I'll do it.

frozen strawberries
    bananas (freeze 'em)
    plain yogurt
    1% milk
    protein/??? (something else that doesn't interfere with the taste but is beneficial to the body)

It all sounds pretty cheap.. good idea or no?

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -mixed frozen berries
    -a banana
    -3 tbsp of vanilla yogurt
    -squirt of honey
    -oj

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I use the following amounts as a base (ratio, really):
    1-2 ice cubes
    1 cup frozen fruit
    1/2-1 cup yogurt (I use plain, as in no flavouring, with 1/2-1 tsp of honey)
    1 cup juice

If I use fresh fruit or anything else, I'll add it on top of the above.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    For the amount of nutrition you get from it, would you recommend smoothies as a breakfast replacement on the cheap? Also would I feel full for cheap? I'm a laborer so this is important lol.

I've never made them but this post has given me the idea that smoothies every morning could be a delicious and healthy way to start my day. As long as it's cheap I'll do it.

frozen strawberries
    bananas (freeze 'em)
    plain yogurt
    1% milk
    protein/??? (something else that doesn't interfere with the taste but is beneficial to the body)

It all sounds pretty cheap.. good idea or no?

Man, they keep on coming, this is great. But I don't see why it wouldn't be healthy and a good breakfast replacement, although you'd probably have to tailor it a bit to make sure you're getting all the right nutrients.

Dark_Side on