[D&D 4E - IC] GIANT ANTS : "Ants aren't just for pants anymore."

13334353638

Posts

  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Furious at the pain suffered by his loyal companion, Bartholomew picks his way through the undulating vines towards his foe. He slings his longbow on his back, then his swords ring out as he draws them from their sheathes, and swings wildly at the plant with Bongo at his side, after freeing himself from the parasitic tendril. His swords slash through leaf and vine alike, as Bongo lunges forward with a snarl. The wolf tears into the plant in a flurry of claws and teeth. With a final, animalistic growl Bartholomew slashes again, but his swing is wide and he steps back to catch his breath.
    Minor Action: Sheathe Longbow | Draw Longswords

    Standard Action:
    Shift -> 8,6 (Bongo: 9,6)
    Enclose the Prey vs. VENS (AC 23): 1d20+16 23 Hit! 2d8+5, 1d8 11

    Action Point

    Standard Action:
    Partnered Savaging vs. VENS (AC 23): 1d20+16+2 23 Hit! 2d8+9 22
    Effect: Granted basic attack
    1d20+16 22 Miss!

    Saving Throw vs. Siphoning Tendril: 1d20 16 Effect Ends

    Ready Yield Ground in case of melee hit (+2 to all defenses until end of next turn)

    Next up: Nim
    Then: VENS

    godmode on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his Registered User regular
    Nim was disappointed his last spell failed to take hold, but this one? He had a good feeling about this one.

    The gnome darted behind the new front line, taking a spot where he had a clear vantage point of the monster, but his small size helped hide him among the chaos. He chanted then, feeling a surge of confidence from the success of his allies, and the words flowed true this time.

    A dark shape snaked through the grass, its shapeless mass only hinting at ancient horrors that had been old when the world was young. It roared up around the creature, it was fire, it was sharpened stone, it was the woodsman's axe, it was drought and disease and death, and it had come for the plant.
    Move: to 9, 10
    Standard: Nightmare Eruption vs Will: 1d20+16 36 CRIT! 16 damage plus crit damage: 2d6 12! = 28 damage.
    Ready Staff of Defense if VENS hits and a +3 defense would cause the attack to miss.

    Next: VENS

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The Party
    Chapter 5: "Counterstrike?"
    Ambrose Hills - Roads (Midday)

    Round 7


    Map
    vinebridge_e11r07a.jpg

    Previous Round (6)

    21 - Twisted Tendril (TXH): (12,10) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    21 - Twisted Tendril (TMZ): (12,10) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TGI): (10,11) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TAJ): (11,8) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TAZ): (8,6) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    15 - Twisted Venus (VENS): (8,4) HP: 89/368
    Turn: Flailing Tendrils [Target Gramps 15 vs AC 23: Miss, Target Bart vs 17 AC 19: Miss, Target Bongo vs 22 AC 20: Hit 19 Damage, Target Inutchuk 24 vs AC 25: Miss], Siphoning Tendril [Target Bongo: 25 vs FORT 18: Hit 5 Damage {NA VENS: +5 Temp} | Siphoning Tendril (Ongoing 5 Drain SE), Target Self: +5 TEMP]
    Effs: Tangle Roots (Aura 2; All nonplant creatures treat area as difficult terrain), Twisted Rage (+ATTK, +DMG), Quarry (Bart), Martial Doom (CA ENT:Gramps)

    15 - Inutchuk: (10,6,-2) HP: 31/64
    Turn: Knee Breaker (Enc) [Target VENS - 30 vs AC 23: Hit 28 Damage (-5 TEMP - 23 Total) | Marked]
    Effs: *Bloodied*

    10 - Twisted Tendril (TOI): (15,8) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    8 - Twisted Tendril (TGD): (9,7) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    7 - Gramps: (6,6,-2) HP: 32/49
    Turn:Move (6,6 -> 7,5), Lead the Attack [Target VENS - 28 vs AC 23: Hit 25 Damage, Target Self: Lead the Attack (Aura 5 +5 ATTK vs VENS)], ACTION POINT, Martial Doom [Target VENS - 31 vs AC 23: Hit 21 Damage | *Bloodied* {IR VENS: Twisted Rage [CB3 (8,4) Target Self: Refresh, +ATTK, +DMG, Target Gramps - 17 vs REF 21: Miss 10 Poison Damage, Target Inutchuk - *20* vs REF 18: Critical 26 Poison Damage (-3 Temp - 23 Total) | *Bloodied*, Target Bart - 29 vs REF 19: Hit 21 Poison Damage, Target Bongo - 27 vs REF 18: Hit 21 Poison Damage]} | Martial Doom (CA ENT:Gramps)]
    Effs: Lead the ATtack (Aura 5 +4 ATTK vs VENS)

    7 - Quinnten: (7,10) HP: 36/47
    Turn: Move (7,12 -> 7,10), Dragonfrost [Target VENS - 17 vs FORT 23: Miss], ACTION POINT, Dragonfrost [Target VENS - 29 vs FORT 23: Hit 22 Cold Damage]
    Effs:

    7 - Bartholomew: (8,11) HP: 26/47
    7 - Bongo: (9,10) HP: 6/62
    Turn: Siphoning Tendril (5 Damage, {NA VENS: +5 Temp}), Move (8,8 -> 8,6), Bongo:Move (9,8 -> 9,6), Enclose the Prey (Enc) [Target VENS - 23 vs AC 23: Hit 10 Damage (+1 Quarry, -5 Temp - 6 Total)],
    ACTION POINT, Partnered Savaging [Target VENS - 23 vs AC 23: Hit 22 Damage {FA Bongo: MBA [Target VENS - 22 vs AC 23: Miss]}], Bongo:Save [Siphoning Tendril: Success]
    Effs: Bongo:*Bloodied*

    6 - Assoc Prof Nim: (12,12,-2) HP: 20/45
    Turn: Nightmare Eruption [Target VENS - *20* vs Will 18 - Critical 16 Psychic Damage (+12 Critical - 28 Total)
    Effs: *Bloodied*

    Zones and Other
    Grasping Shadows [AB1W10 (7,3) 4 Psychic Damage Slowed ENT]
    Name [Type (X,Y) Effect]: Owner

    Current Round (7)

    21 - Twisted Tendril (TXH): (12,10) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    21 - Twisted Tendril (TMZ): (12,10) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TGI): (10,11) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TAJ): (11,8) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TAZ): (8,6) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    15 - Twisted Venus (VENS): (8,4) HP: 89/368 [5 Temp]
    Turn: Flailing Tendrils [Target Gramps - 18 vs AC 23: Miss, Target Bart - 21 vs AC 19: Hit 2d8 + 10 Damage, Target Bongo - 30 vs 22 AC 20: Hit 19 Damage *Bongo KO'ed*, Target Inutchuk - 20 vs AC 25: Miss], Siphoning Tendril [Target Gramps - 32 vs FORT 18: Hit 5 Damage {NA VENS: +5 Temp} | Siphoning Tendril (Ongoing 5 Drain SE)], ACTION POINT, Flailing Tendrils [Target Gramps 20 vs AC 23: Miss, Target Gramps 29 vs AC 23: Hit 21 Damage | *Bloodied*, Target Bart vs 20 vs AC 19: Hit 22 Damage | *Bloodied*, Target Inutchuk 32 vs AC 25: Hit 15 Damage]
    Effs: Tangle Roots (Aura 2; All nonplant creatures treat area as difficult terrain), Twisted Rage (+ATTK, +DMG), Quarry (Bart), Martial Doom (CA ENT:Gramps)

    15 - Inutchuk: (10,6,-2) HP: 16/64
    Turn:
    Effs: *Bloodied*

    10 - Twisted Tendril (TOI): (15,8) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    8 - Twisted Tendril (TGD): (9,7) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    7 - Gramps: (6,6,-2) HP: 11/49
    Turn:
    Effs: Lead the Attack (Aura 5 +4 ATTK vs VENS), Siphoning Tendril (Ongoing 5 Drain SE), *Bloodied*

    7 - Quinnten: (7,10) HP: 36/47
    Turn: Move (7,12 -> 7,10), Dragonfrost [Target VENS - 17 vs FORT 23: Miss], ACTION POINT, Dragonfrost [Target VENS - 29 vs FORT 23: Hit 22 Cold Damage]
    Effs:

    7 - Bartholomew: (8,11) HP: 4/47
    7 - Bongo: (9,10) HP: -13/62
    Turn:
    Effs: Bongo:*Dying (Stable)*, *Bloodied*

    6 - Assoc Prof Nim: (12,12,-2) HP: 20/45
    Turn:
    Effs: *Bloodied*

    Zones and Other
    Grasping Shadows [AB1W10 (7,3) 4 Psychic Damage Slowed ENT]
    Name [Type (X,Y) Effect]: Owner


    Unit Details
    Inutchuk HP: 64/64 AC: 25 F/R/W: 22/18/18 HS: 13/13 AP: 1
    Status:
    Gramps HP: 49/49 AC: 23 F/R/W: 21/21/18 HS: 9/9 AP: 0
    Status:
    Bartholomew HP: 47/47 AC: 19 F/R/W: 22/19/16 HS: 6/6 AP: 0
    Status:
    Bongo HP: 62/62 AC: 20 F/R/W: 18/18/19 HS: -/- AP: -
    Status:
    Assoc Prof Nim HP: 45/45 AC: 22 F/R/W: 18/20/20 HS: 6/8 AP: 1
    Status:
    Quinnten HP: 47/47 AC: 20 F/R/W: 19/17/23 HS: 6/6 AP: 0
    Status:


    Twisted Venus AC: 23 F/R/W: 23/20/18
    Status: Tangle Roots (Aura 2; All nonplant creatures treat area as difficult terrain)

    Twisted Tendril: AC: 20 F/R/W: 19/18/18
    Note: Minion, Mindless (+2 vs Illusion), Passive Cooperation (??)

    Notes and Other

    Shaded tokens under the bridge are... under the bridge. Which should have been made transparent but eh.

    The shaded bars along the x and y axis mark the 10th row/column. This is to aid posting coords.

    The channel is 2 squares (10 feet) deep. It requires a climb check to get out of.

    GAE11R07A

    Inutchuk and Gramps begin to go to work on the Twisted Venus, the combination of hammer and sword causing its tendrils to shudder and and convulse. As Gramps lands his second attack, the area bursts into a haze of burning mist! Gramps, his years of fighting massively evil monsters that somehow grow more fierce when they're almost dead, seems to be expecting the attack and shields his face and holds his breath. Despite this the poison still burns at his skin. Inutchuk, lacking said experience seems to take the blast head on, his rocky skin almost emitting a sizzle as he weathers the blast. Further away, Bartholmew and Bongo are also struck by the poison, Bongo taking the blast without even letting out a whimper. When the mist settles large thorns dripping with poison now visibly jutting out of all of the monster's tendrils. It was the kind of counterattack and display that would have brought most attackers to a standstill, but not today.

    Hoping that his icy blasts would slow the creature down, Quinnten fires of more of the stuff. While it seems to shake off the frost from its thorns, the attack hurts it nonetheless. Enraged at the abuse his companion has suffered and blind to the cause of it all Bartholomew rushes in to attack. The ranger's anger allows for him to deliver a blow in kind, although Bongo appears to hesitate. Continuing to play it safe Nim moves close, but not too close to attack with his illusions once again. The fact that the creature appeared to be angry grants him an edge, his illusion strikes hard at whatever primal consciousness the plant had within it.

    Much like any creature the combination of anger and terror rarely bade well. There was no flight, only fight and the twisted tendrils set itself to the task, lashing about at the area in a flurry of thorny tendrils. At such close proximity to the creature there isn't much that Gramps, Bart, Inutchuk and Bongo can do but batter down and bear it. Fortunately, long ago man and other intelligent species discovered that wearing metal or the hides of other beasts would confer additional protection to the wearer. Just how well armor could protect a wearer was put to the test with this assault. The armor that the others wear seems to bear the brunt of the attack, but unfortunately Bongo had no such protection. The dog of war lets out a shocked yelp that sends a chill up Bartholomew's spine before falling onto his side.

    (Bart can use Yield Ground or Gramp's Powerful Warning trigger from the second attack, or get hit... PS: sorry about your dag. The good news is, you're almost at the finish line. The bad news... well... the last stretch of the track is covered in nails and fire somehow. <3)

    Beat them up guys. Go for broke! | Don't blink now. | Get ready! Triumph or Die. | Go for broke! Hey! Come On! Stand up! Go for it, man! | It all depends on your skills. Faces straight. | It's show time. Go for it. | You can't give it up.
    Next Up: Inutchuk
    Buffs/Debuffs: *Bloodied*
    Then: Gramps
    Buffs/Debuffs: Lead the ATtack (Aura 5 +4 ATTK vs VENS)

    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Heeding Gramps' shouted warning, Bartholomew quickly ducks to avoid the flailing tentacles. Gritting his teeth as he stands back up, he lashes out with his sword in retribution, and the blade cuts satisfyingly through the plant.
    Powerful Warning - Free Action: Melee Basic Attack vs. VENS (AC 23) 1d20+16 31 Hit! 1d8+5 12

    godmode on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Inutchuk lets out a roar and cleaves deep into the plant's main trunk, sending sap spraying.
    Brazen Assault vs AC: 1d20+11+2+4 23 3d10+6 29 HIT for 29 damage

    Effect: Inutchuk gains resist 5 to all damage but grants combat advantage to all attacks. (lasts until EoE or until cancelled with a free action on his turn

    At almost the exact same moment, Gramps strikes the monstrosity from behind, distracting it just long enough that Inutchuk could sever its stalk completely. Unfortunately, Inutchuk's weapon is momentarily stuck in place by sap, and the moment of opportunity is lost.
    Commander's strike vs VENS (if it hits, Inutchuk gets a free attack): 1d20+14+2+4 38 1d20+11+2+4 21 1d10+6+3+3 20 Gramps HITS allowing a free MBA from Inutchuk with bonus damage who... rolls a 4 and misses. :(

    Next up: Quinnten

    Then: Bartholomew

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
    Geth
  • SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    Following his fellows' examples, Quinnten quickly shot another one of his usual blasts of frost in an effort to quickly overwhelm the plant. As with the strike before, the blast struck the vegetative creature. Frost quickly spread over the leafy, vine-covered plant assaulting with its one of the natural enemies; the cold. Quinnten hoped that the sudden frenzy of various violence would be more than enough to finish the creature before it could do any more harm, and that way they could get back to their original non-man-eating-plant path.

    "A little bit more and I think we've got the creatu...plant!"
    Standard Action: Dragonfrost vs VENS [Fort 23]
    Arcane Spellfury: +1 to attack
    Veteran's Armor: +1 to attack
    Lead the Attack: +4 to attack
    Arcane Reserves: +2 to damage
    Dragonfrost vs VENS: 1d20+10+6 27 1d8+12+2 21
    Hit
    VENS takes 21 cold damage

    Ready Sudden Scales in case of ranged hit (+6 to all defenses)
    Ready Dragonflame Mantle in case of any melee hit (+1 to all defenses and fire damage to melee attacker) The effects of Veteran's armor end

    Next: Bartholomew

    Then: Assoc Prof Nim

    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Stricken with grief for his companion, Bartholomew hacks wildly at the plant with his swords, attempting to inflict as much damage as possible without contacting the treacherous thorns. His swords slice satisfyingly into the plant, and Bart leaps backward from the grasping vines and dashes to safety, dodging thorns and vines the whole way.
    Standard Action: Parting Strike vs. VENS (AC 23): 1d20+14 27 Hit! 2d8+7 12
    Effect: Shift to 8,10
    Saving Throw (Bongo) 1d20 12

    godmode on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his Registered User regular
    Nim saw the animal go down and stop moving. He breathed deeply, he had already expended much of his arcane energy in the last few minutes, but he needed to draw on just a little more. Just a little more, and there may yet be time to save Bartholomew's companion.

    He raised his staff and intoned the ritual words. His breath was coming quicker now, and sweat began beading on his brow. To think, he had wanted a break from the monotony of academia!
    Standard:Nightmare Eruption (CA) vs Will (VENS): 1d20+16 20 1d8+8 9 HIT!

    The nightmares were faint as they charged forward, even a child would not be afraid of these pale shadows. The Professor reached deep within and found there was nothing left to give, and sighed as the shades raced over the creature. But it was enough. The thing flailed wildly at the imaginary fears, too bloodied and weakened to tell illusion from reality.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The Party
    Chapter 5: "Counterstrike?"
    Ambrose Hills - Roads (Midday)

    Round 7


    Current Round (7)

    21 - Twisted Tendril (TXH): (12,10) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    21 - Twisted Tendril (TMZ): (12,10) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TGI): (10,11) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TAJ): (11,8) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    19 - Twisted Tendril (TAZ): (8,6) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    15 - Twisted Venus (VENS): (8,4) HP: -4/368
    Turn: Flailing Tendrils [Target Gramps - 18 vs AC 23: Miss, Target Bart - 21 vs AC 19 {IR Gramps: Powerful Warning [Target Bart - +2 AC | {FA Bart: MBA [Target VENS - 31 vs AC 23: Hit 12 Damage (-5 Temp - 7 Total)}]}: Miss, Target Bongo - 30 vs 22 AC 20: Hit 19 Damage *Bongo KO'ed*, Target Inutchuk - 20 vs AC 25: Miss], Siphoning Tendril [Target Gramps - 32 vs FORT 18: Hit 5 Damage {NA VENS: +5 Temp} | Siphoning Tendril (Ongoing 5 Drain SE)], ACTION POINT, Flailing Tendrils [Target Gramps 20 vs AC 23: Miss, Target Gramps 29 vs AC 23: Hit 21 Damage | *Bloodied*, Target Bart vs 20 vs AC 19: Hit 22 Damage | *Bloodied*, Target Inutchuk 32 vs AC 25: Hit 15 Damage]
    Effs: Tangle Roots (Aura 2; All nonplant creatures treat area as difficult terrain), Twisted Rage (+ATTK, +DMG), Quarry (Bart), Martial Doom (CA ENT:Gramps)

    15 - Inutchuk: (10,6,-2) HP: 16/64
    Turn: Brazen Assault (Enc) [Target VENS - 23 vs AC 23: Hit 29 Damage, Target Self: Brazen Assault(+5 Resist, CA)]
    Effs: *Bloodied*

    10 - Twisted Tendril (TOI): (15,8) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    8 - Twisted Tendril (TGD): (9,7) HP: -
    Effs: *DEAD*

    7 - Gramps: (6,6,-2) HP: 11/49
    Turn: Siphoning Tendril (5 Damage, {NA VENS: +5 Temp}), Commander's Strike [Target VENS - 38 vs AC 23: Hit 20 Damage, Target Inutchuk: Command {FA Inutchuk: MBA [Target VENS - 21 vs AC 23: Miss]}], Save [Siphoning Tendril: Failure]
    Effs: *Bloodied*

    7 - Quinnten: (7,10) HP: 36/47 *Dying (0/3)*
    Turn: Dragonfrost [Target VENS - 27 vs FORT 23: Hit 21 Cold Damage (-5 Temp - 16 Total)]
    Effs:

    7 - Bartholomew: (8,10) HP: 4/47
    7 - Bongo: (9,10) HP: -13/62
    Turn: Parting Strike [Target VENS - 27 vs AC 23: Hit 12 Damage], Shift (8,11 -> 8,10)
    Effs: Bongo:*Stable*, *Bloodied*

    6 - Assoc Prof Nim: (12,12,-2) HP: 20/45
    Turn: Nightmare Eruption [Target VENS - 20 vs WILL 18: Hit 9 Damage *VENS KO'ED!*]
    Effs: *Bloodied*

    Zones and Other
    Grasping Shadows [AB1W10 (7,3) 4 Psychic Damage Slowed ENT]
    Name [Type (X,Y) Effect]: Owner


    Unit Details
    Inutchuk HP: 64/64 AC: 25 F/R/W: 22/18/18 HS: 13/13 AP: 1
    Status:
    Gramps HP: 49/49 AC: 23 F/R/W: 21/21/18 HS: 9/9 AP: 0
    Status:
    Bartholomew HP: 47/47 AC: 19 F/R/W: 22/19/16 HS: 6/6 AP: 0
    Status:
    Bongo HP: 62/62 AC: 20 F/R/W: 18/18/19 HS: -/- AP: -
    Status:
    Assoc Prof Nim HP: 45/45 AC: 22 F/R/W: 18/20/20 HS: 6/8 AP: 1
    Status:
    Quinnten HP: 47/47 AC: 20 F/R/W: 19/17/23 HS: 6/6 AP: 0
    Status:


    Twisted Venus AC: 23 F/R/W: 23/20/18
    Status: Tangle Roots (Aura 2; All nonplant creatures treat area as difficult terrain)

    Twisted Tendril: AC: 20 F/R/W: 19/18/18
    Note: Minion, Mindless (+2 vs Illusion), Passive Cooperation (??)

    Notes and Other

    Shaded tokens under the bridge are... under the bridge. Which should have been made transparent but eh.

    The shaded bars along the x and y axis mark the 10th row/column. This is to aid posting coords.

    The channel is 2 squares (10 feet) deep. It requires a climb check to get out of.

    GAE11R08Proper

    Realizing the gravity of the situation, Inutchuk thrusts caution to the side and slams his weapon into teh mass of tendrils before him. Thorns bend and give under his assault, the attack leaving the Venus in no position to evade Gramp's attack. Unable to recover from his first attack, Inutchuk fails to capitalize on the advantage that Gramps grants. The old man and giant's swell job of bushwhacking instills in Quinnten a desire to do the same. His frosty blast rings true, causing the creature to begin to both shiver and swell. But why was this happening in tendrils that he didn't attack?, a voice in the back of his head asked.

    As Bongo continued to bob around in the mixture of water and blood, Bartholomew raged on. He slashes it good and hops away, Quinnten noting that where the ranger left his mark even more sap bubbled forth. Wait... why is there so much of this stuff?

    Nim raises his staff and afflicts the creature with another nightmarish vision. Whatever it's seeing appears to have a traumatic effect on the Venus, and it begins to flail about wildly. As it does this, the ground around the party begins to shake, more of its tendrils rising from the earth. These too begin to swell and undulate in a rapid fashion...

    *SPLORSH*

    The creature explodes, showering the group in plant guts. The smell of chlorophyll seems to overwhelm your senses.

    "Gods... why does everything you people kill explode?" Vicks calls out from behind.

    Beat them up guys. Go for broke! | Don't blink now. | Get ready! Triumph or Die. | Go for broke! Hey! Come On! Stand up! Go for it, man! | It all depends on your skills. Faces straight. | It's show time. Go for it. | You can't give it up.
    (Encounter Clear!)


    tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    "Well done, lads!" Bartholomew cheers to the others. Breathing a heavy sigh, he sheathes his blades and steps carefully through the muck over to Bongo. Kneeling beside him, Bart mutters some soothing words as he urges his companion back to its feet. From his pack he pulls a cut of dried meat which Bongo devours gratefully.
    Bartholomew turns over a large, flat rock with his boot to sit on as he takes a pull from his water skin. "What a strange creature," he comments as he assesses where the monstrous plant once "stood".
    Healing Surge on Bongo x2 (out of 2): Regain 31 HP: 31/62
    Healing Surge on Bartholomew x3 (out of 6): Regain 33 HP: 37/47

    godmode on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Gramps scowls a bit at the others before sitting down heavily on a rock, hanging his shield on his back as his heavy armour clanged.

    "Not bad for a first fight, I suppose, 'specially with how tough that thing ended up being. We need to work a bit on tactics if we're going to keep on fighting together. Let's just say I didn't get to be this old by letting the small stuff slide with my squadmates."

    Turning to the Nim and Quintenn, the scowl returned momentarily before his face softened a bit. "you two need to let the people wearing metal go in before you do. Inutchuk here can do a good job of keeping things from hittin' you too much, and I can be a bit of a distraction, but if you go in by yourself you'll get your ass handed back to you, probably with a few chunks missing. I'm not going to belabour the point because I think you already saw fer yerself what will happen next time."

    Grunting a bit as he took a bandage out of his pack and applied it to a gash on his arm.

    "I do think we did a good job of spreading out and surrounding the big feller, and we did get the job done in the end. Let's work on not gettin' too excited and working as a team instead of a bunch of induhviduals.... and I think we can do much better next time."
    Gramps spends 3 healing surges to regain 36 hp and go up to 47/49 HP.

    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    Quinnten let out a long pent up sigh as they had finally brought the creature down, his breath misting coolly as slowly let go of the power that he had been wielding. With the battle complete he could go back to pretending that he was a just a normal person that got caught up in some crazy whirlwind. Not that he was planning on backing out on his duty, he said he was going to help and damn well sure was going to do it. Besides, he knew that once he started a task, he'd see it through the end. Quinnten brought his attention back to the present as Gramps was addressing him and the Associate Professor.

    "I didn't think I pushed too far forward," he half mumbled partly as an excuse and partly as an apology. He didn't think that he did too badly out there but fighting and tactics was something beyond his experience, unless it had to do with farming. He trusted anyone with any advice on combat, although he really hoped he didn't have to use it.
    Spending 1 Healing Surge [1/6] to top off at full health

    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his Registered User regular
    Nim nodded at Gramps's suggestions. He had much practice pretending to listen very intently to older people lecturing him.

    After the older man had gone, he turned to Quinnten excitedly. "So, when did your elemental manifestations begin ... well, manifesting? Have you studied anywhere? Why do you believe so many of your spells invoke draconic imagery?"
    Two healing surges + One Word will set me back to full hp, with 4/8 healing surges remaining.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    "Studied? Spells? Dragons? I don't know," Quinnten quickly responded, almost border lining on a bit exasperated, "I'm not really sure any of that. I can't rightly how I got these cursed powers. They kind of showed up one day in a sudden-burn-down-the-barn-and-nearly-take-out-the-entire-farm kind of way. Still not that sure how I made it out of that one. Anyways, I had these powers pegged as some sort of elaborate hex or curse. Why and How? I really don't know but I'm trying to find out so I can finally rid myself of them."

    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his Registered User regular
    Nim was really only asking the questions as a formality, as he was pretty sure as to all the answers and had his replies at the ready.

    "Of course you must be so excited to ---- What?" He stopped and stared at the young human.

    "Hex? Get rid of? Get RID of? My boy, you have the exceedingly rare talent of spontaneously manifesting arcane energies and directing them to your whim! Why, it wouldn't surprise me if your line went all the way back to some of the ancient sorcerous lineages of the last empires, the way your draconic insignia are showing. Of course, losing the family farm can be a bit of an odd way to start, but with proper training, guidance, and a little luck, the very foundation of reality will be yours to command." He smiled then, understanding suddenly what this must be about.

    "And don't forget, human women love men with power." Or so he'd read. Or maybe that was tieflings?

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Gramps barked a laugh at Nim's last comment.

    "Women love whatever takes their fancy at the moment. If ye've got money they'll stick around fer a while and play house, but love is way beyond any man's understanding or prediction."

    Gramps could fill books with his experiences with women... Some were very pleasurable, and some quite the opposite. The one thing he'd learned was that when "love" started being involved, it was time to get out of town. Luckily, in his line of work he could make sure he was assigned elsewhere quickly when necessary.

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The Party
    Chapter 5: "Counterstrike?"
    Ambrose Hills - Roads (Midday)

    As you continue the groups continues to gather themselves together again, Vicks walks closer. From atop the bridge he looks down at the the group.

    "That... well, that went," he says. "So, Professor, you think we'll run into any more of those?" Vicks asks, recalling the gnome's earlier statement about the potential for more such plants to spawn thanks to the loose magic that was about or something.
    [
    Unit Details
    Inutchuk HP: 16/64 AC: 25 F/R/W: 22/18/18 HS: 13/13 AP: 1
    Status/Action:
    Gramps HP: 47/49 AC: 23 F/R/W: 21/21/18 HS: 6/9 AP: 0
    Status/Action: Healing Surge [-3 HS, +36 HP]
    Bartholomew HP: 37/47 AC: 19 F/R/W: 22/19/16 HS: 3/6 AP: 0
    Status/Action: Healing Surge [-3 HS, +33 HP]
    Bongo HP: 31/62 AC: 20 F/R/W: 18/18/19 HS: 0/2 AP: -
    Status/Action: Healing Surge [-2 HS, +31 HP]
    Assoc Prof Nim HP: 45/45 AC: 22 F/R/W: 18/20/20 HS: 4/8 AP: 1
    Status/Action: Healing Surge [-2 HS, +23 HP (+2 Vick)]
    Quinnten HP: 47/47 AC: 20 F/R/W: 19/17/23 HS: 5/6 AP: 0
    Status/Action: Healing Surge [-1 HS, +11 HP]

    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his Registered User regular

    Nim dusts himself off and looks around at the exploded mess. "Hm.. there may be more of these around somewhere, but with a root system this complex? I don't think the soil could support another one of these for ... well, miles, maybe." He mutters to himself, ticking off figures and scientific classifications. "Yes, miles at least. We should be safe to proceed."

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    "That's for the best" said Gramps gruffly. "We've an important assignment, and though it was fun to stretch my muscles and see you lot in a real fight, I don't want us thinking we've become master gardeners."

    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    "Speaking of assignment," Bartholomew remarks as he stands, tucking his waterskin away, "we should probably get back on the road. Let's not waste the light." He approaches the side of the ditch and climbs back up with Bongo scrambling after. Bart leans against the masonry of the bridge while he waits for his companions to join him.

  • SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    "Aye, the road beats staying in an old dried up creek bed." Quinnten quickly followed his words with an appropriate set of actions and started to climb his way back out.

    He was quite thankfully for the quick distraction away from the talk of his powers. He knew that it would be hard to explain that he wanted nothing to do them and would rather be rid of them. Any number of other folk would kill to acquire them, and some probably have tried for even lesser powers. Quinnten, on the other hand, much preferred his ordinary life from before. Where knowing that you put in a hard day's work and it counted towards something substantive was more than enough to carry you through the day. That thought, coupled with his current exertion of climbing, brought a small grin to the man. Some things were just hard to explain.

    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his Registered User regular
    The professor climbed up along behind, marveling again at just how easily the races that descended from giants could navigate such complex terrain. After a bit of give and take with the ditch, Nim made it up, breathing a little heavily. He trotted after the group, a little too out of breath to continue the conversation about Quinnten's powers.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Gramps muttered under his breath as he scampered up the side of the ditch with surprising nimbleness, despite his age and heavy armour. Inutchuk trotted along beside him.

    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    The clanking sound of a plate-clad gauntlets rapping against each other can be heard from the center of the bridge. Covered in silvery armor adorned with intricate symbols stands a figure applauding the ascent of the party from the ditch below standing perhaps a little too close to Vicks, who jumps at the first sound. A voice echoes inside the helm of the closed visor, "Good show lads! I had all the faith you could handle yourselves. Wonderful job eh Vicks?"

    Vicks eyes the figure a moment and shrugs.

    "Oh come now, it's not been that long has it!" Pulling up the helm brilliant golden locks fall from inside, tossed side to side in an effort to tame the wild mane. The half-elf cleric, Matthias, stands grinning widely and expectantly. It is at this point you notice the intricate work on his armor are vines adorned at the buds with hearts instead of blossoms.

    Inutchuck speaks first
    "Not-elf, you are still Not Brave."

    "Rocky, I've turned a new leaf, taken a page from your book so to speak."

  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    Bartholomew squints at the shiny figure, obscured by the sunlight shining brightly off his armor. "I do not believe we've met," Bart says as he approaches, "I'm Bartholomew, and this is my wolf, Bongo," he says, indicating his companion at his side. "What brings you out here, friend?"

  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    "Bartholomew, I am Matthias. Paladin of our beloved mistress Sune and lover of many- wait. I came all the way out here and there's not a lady amongst you? Well...I guess...I guess I came out here to help with the ant problem. Again. Chicks dig heroes."

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his Registered User regular
    "See? I knew that was human women!" Nim reaches out a hand to the much taller man. "Associate Professor Nim, of the Academy." Obviously he didn't need to specify which, as there was only one of note. "We were here studying the disruptions to the arcane forces around here when the ants attacked. You have some experience with these?"

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The Party
    Chapter 5: "Counterstrike?"
    Ambrose Hills - Roads (Midday)

    "Gods, I... I haven't seen armor so polished before," Vicks states, his eyes focused on the little etched hearts. Gathering his focus, he suggests that the group keeps moving.

    "We're almost to that farm of yours, right Big Guy?"

    (Roll your choice of Athletics, Endurance, Nature, or Perception three times!)

    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Bartholomew starts off down the road again with Bongo at his side, looking about the road and enjoying the scenery a little while he walks.
    Athleticsx3 3#1d20+12 14, 19, 19

    godmode on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Gramps seems spry for his age- despite the heavy armour he moves almost effortlessly through the difficult terrain, especially once he hits his stride a little ways in.
    Athletics check x3: 3#1d20+11 19 29 22

    Inutchuk moves along with a mountain's stamina, keeping up a constant pace and doesn't seem to get winded at all despite the heavy armour he also carries.
    Endurance: 3#1d20+14 22 23 27

    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    Matthias clangs along for a moment before gesturing and his armor all disappears showing him in nothing but a pair of briefs with red hearts stitched on them. His eyes go wide for a moment before he snaps and the armor appears again. "Er, whoops!" He runs behind a bush for a moment and emerges armor-less again, but this time wearing some actually pretty nice clothes. "Ready!"

    Matthias seems to not have much problem moving now that the armor isn't weighing him down.
    http://orokos.com/roll/104512

    Endurance check: 3#1d20+10: 3 # 17, 28, 24

    I adjusted those rolls up 4 each because I forgot I can banish my armor as a minor action and remove the armor penalty of -4! Hurray for useful armors!

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his Registered User regular
    Nim falls in line, and begins to ponder.

    Maybe the ants were the cause of the arcane shift, but more likely they were just a symptom. Could Quinnten's sudden sorcerous awakening have anything to do with it? Did it have anything to do with increased draconic presences, or perhaps things from beyond this plane of existence were to blame. Maybe too much magical experimentation had weakened the barriers between... no, no such thing as 'too much' magical experimentation, no need to even continue that line of thought...

    And so, his mind happily occupied during the dull walk, Nim follows.
    Nature: 3#1d20+8 9 18 23

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    Quinnten paused as the newcomer made his entrance. Instead of something new and threatening, it was that somewhat irritating fellow from before; great. Although to be fair, he might just gotten have the wrong impression of the man. Its not like he spent much time with him before they parted ways so it could be that he was judging him a little too harshly. On the other hand, his armor was a really shiny, a little too shiny.

    "Hey, again," Quinnten managed to stammer out, realizing that he was being rude by not saying anything.

    With that, it looked like the group was getting ready to continue on. Quinnten went through a few quick stretches making sure that he was ready for another long walk and didn't pull anything.
    Athletics: 3#1d20+11 23 13 28

    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The Party
    Chapter 5: "Counterstrike?"
    Ambrose Hills - Roads (Midday)

    After a brief rest from slaying the plant monster the group resumes its journey to Steve's Farm with a new respect toward the forest and greenery that may or may not decide to try to kill them again. Perhaps this was the reason why they moved with such haste, stopping only when they observe a upturned cart on the road ahead.




    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    Bartholomew addresses the others, "This looks pretty suspicious...a cart just left here like this? Something isn't right." He slowly draws his swords and looks about the surrounding trees, straining eyes and ears for any peculiar movement or sound.
    Perception check: 29

  • SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    "There's plenty of reasons that a cart might be there," Quinnten started, "some of which aren't good." The sorcerer shifted his staff, switched it to his other hand and then passed it back. He did a few cycles of that drill just to help warm his muscles in case something did happen. Maybe it was the recent fight with the plant, or that various other encounters that he had gone through but he was starting to find everything suspicious. If he wasn't often put into mortal peril so often, he would have considered a bit funny. Quinnten kept his eyes open but was a bit more than interested in what the cart held or might have held in case it might provide some clue as to why it was there and abandoned.
    Perception: 1d20+2 12
    On the cart itself if there's a distinction

    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    Matthias slows his pace and ponders for a moment the philosophical meaning of an overturned cart in the road. Then he remembered that he is an idiot, so he simply waves dismissively at it as his armor is summoned back onto his body with a CLANG. He grabs a small bar of foreign chocolate from his pouch and plods over to the cart.

    "Come stand by little wagon. We must push cart! Om nom, nom nom. Moist and delicious, ha ha!"

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The Party
    Chapter 5: "Counterstrike?"
    Ambrose Hills - Roads (Midday)

    "Gods, I'm beginning to think he took that armor off some other fallen hero in a craze. These sorts of things can break a man's mind," Vicks notes. "But perhaps he's right: sometimes a cart is just a cart. Then again, ever since you people came down to our parts things have gone south."

    He looks toward Inutchuk briefly and then watches Matthias carefully.

    Up ahead Bart and Quinnten inspect the cart and its contents, which have all spilled off to one side. Some of it looks like at some point it was valuable, and it all reeks heavily of alcohol. A little wine, a little ale, a little beer. The ground almost gives off a haze as the spirits rise and evaporate. A few fancy paintings are now nothing more than a vivid brownish slurry of colors, the canvases punctured by broken glass and wooden statue fragments. (APerception: Bart - or DC 20) Mixed the ruined goods there is a pearl roughly the size of a human eyeball affixed to a rather crude looking chain. The thickness suggests that it's not meant to be a fashion statement but something more practical. There's also a few intact vials, and a bunch of coins scattered in the mess.

    Bart's detective skills tell him that either the cart was loaded by either looters or someone fleeing their home. The rapid pace and heavy load may have made the wagon tumble. The lack of any signs of struggle suggest that dysentery may have killed the riders or they ran off. Either way, nobody was coming back here.

    tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    Bartholomew leans in close to the wreckage and pokes around with the tip of his sword. Seemingly satisfied, he reaches in and pulls up a handful of goods for examination. "I wonder what this could be," he says to the group as he holds the pearl aloft. "I haven't seen anything like it. What about you lads?" He holds it out to the others as he examines the vials and counts the money.

  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    "That's quite amazing Bartholomew! I yearn for the day that I can give a pearl necklace such as that to my beloved Mistress!" Matthias flashes a smile and begins daydreaming.

Sign In or Register to comment.