As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Great Co-Op Games

grim1ockgrim1ock Registered User new member
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey there,

My wife and I are looking for some new co-op games to play together and I'd love some favorite suggestions. Same box co-op titles seem to be harder to find these days; for example I was bummed out to find that Ghostbusters only supported online co-op, which doesn't do us a whole lot of good sitting next to each other.

We've got a Wii and 360 and a pair of PCs, we like old and new games, and we also enjoy board games. We've enjoyed games like X-Men Legends, Castle Crashers and WoW in the past, but we're into just about any genre, so go nuts with the suggestions.

Thanks much!

grim1ock on

• Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My wife loves the ever loving shit out of Death Tank on XBLA.

If you hadn't heard of it, it's just a real-time artillery knock-off. But it's fun most of the time.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trauma Center: New Blood for Wii jumps to mind, but... it's brutally difficult. You've been warned.

I'm sure there are many other and possibly better games available, but I don't get to play co-op games very often.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I strongly recommend some of the lego games, Lego star wars, batman and indiana jones. One of the few games my wife enjoys too.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you enjoyed Legends, you should try marvel ultimate alliance. Really fun game, Cheap as hell too.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the Wii ghostbusters has split screen multiplayer. Take that with a grain of salt, but I'd check into it.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    I think the Wii ghostbusters has split screen multiplayer. Take that with a grain of salt, but I'd check into it.

It does but me and the girlfriend had a blast playing it.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Check out this thread in the H/A forum - lots of good suggestions there.

I'd suggest:
    Left4Dead
    The Lego games (Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones)
    Gears of War
    Call of Duty 5
    Resident Evil 5

Spam on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    House of the Dead: Overkill for the Wii. Arcade stlyle shooter and its so fun!

Earth Defense Force 2017 for 360. Its you and your wife versus thousnads of ants. Really fun simple game with unlockables.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All the Halo games have enjoyable coop

Robman on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2py3u5g.jpg

So many incredible co-op classics, and if like me you find it for 5 pounds it's the best bargain since the Orange Box. Essential.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Earth Defense Force 2017. Best co-op game for the 360, it's sold at budget prices, it's an absurd amount of fun. Running around shooting giant ants/robots/dinosaurs/dinosaur robots in completely destructible cities. GLORIOUS.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    softCactussoftCactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    All the Halo games have enjoyable coop

A friend of mine and her boyfriend had a lot of fun playing through Halo 1 (now working on halo 2). She hadn't played many games before but halo is pretty user friendly on the easy difficulties and she got into the story.

softCactus on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    New Super Mario Bros Wii later this year.

Geometry Wars is super fun multiplayer.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    grim1ockgrim1ock Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Haikira wrote: »
    If you enjoyed Legends, you should try marvel ultimate alliance. Really fun game, Cheap as hell too.

Yeah, just found it for 5 bucks the other day, just a few levels in but pretty good so far.
    Spam wrote: »
    Check out this thread in the H/A forum - lots of good suggestions there.

That's funny, I did a search for co-op in the thread title earlier and this didn't come up, thanks for the link!

Going to have to check out 2017 it sounds like, if there are two things I love it's blowing things up and dinosaur robots.

grim1ock on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halo 3
    Gears of War 1 & 2
    Resident Evil 5
    Earth Defense Force

are all very fun to play in coop on the 360

For Wii:

Mario Kart Wii
    Super Smash Brother Brawl
    Metal Slug Anthology

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Castle Crashers

slash000 on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kirby Super Star

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Castle Crashers

Fantastic coop game.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rock Band (get the 2nd game for the better instruments).

It's really fun with two people, and it's one of the only games me and my brother play together on a regular basis. Also, you'll have no trouble finding people who suck at/hate video games who will play this one with you and your wife.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Castle Crashers

Fantastic coop game.

Though he played it alright with his wife. Guys, read the OP from time to time.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Geometry Wars 2 on XBLA has local multi for all of its modes, along with a Double Dash-like mode where one person drives and the other shoots. Might be fun—also, Schizoid was pretty much designed specifically for 2p local coop.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blowflu wrote: »
    Rock Band (get the 2nd game for the better instruments).

It's really fun with two people, and it's one of the only games me and my brother play together on a regular basis. Also, you'll have no trouble finding people who suck at/hate video games who will play this one with you and your wife.

Rock Band is the best thing to come out of the music game genre

Robman on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My husband and I enjoy playing Tales games co-op. You can only play together during battles, but the battle system is a lot of fun, and outside of battles you can always argue over dialogue choices ("Be nice to poor Colette!" "No, she's a pain, I wanna be mean to her!"). For your systems there's Tales of Symphonia for Gamecube (works on Wii) and Tales of Vesperia for 360. There's Symphonia 2 for Wii as well, but I hear it pales in comparison to Symphonia and Vesperia.

As for the Lego games, I recommend Star Wars over Indiana Jones for co-op. Indy Jones is still fun, but they did something funny with the camera that sometimes makes jumps really frustrating in co-op. Also, Star Wars has more fun/interesting characters for the second player to play. Let's face it, Chewbaca is a much better sidekick than That One Guy With a Shovel.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Castle Crashers

Fantastic coop game.

Woop, my bad

slash000 on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Left 4 Dead is a pretty big staple at the moment, although you'd be playing with 2 other characters (either AI or a couple of people online). 360 has native split-screen co-op, the PC version you can tweak it in quite easily (otherwise you could just use the two PC's I guess).

You'll need to work together to survive the zombie apocalypse, and the knives can come out if someone decides to hoard health packs or is repeatedly shooting you in the back.

Personal suggestion for Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor. Top down shooters that you can play co-op on a single machine, pretty good fun. The guys that made that are also making Trine, which you might want to check out, they just released a demo:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-trailer-trine/47992

http://www.gamershell.com/news_79078.html

It's coming out July 3rd on PC and PS3.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Castle Crashers

Fantastic coop game.

Layoff, I was just saying that it's a great game. I wasn't reccomending it due to his playing it and stuff.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My husband and I enjoy playing Tales games co-op. You can only play together during battles, but the battle system is a lot of fun, and outside of battles you can always argue over dialogue choices ("Be nice to poor Colette!" "No, she's a pain, I wanna be mean to her!"). For your systems there's Tales of Symphonia for Gamecube (works on Wii) and Tales of Vesperia for 360. There's Symphonia 2 for Wii as well, but I hear it pales in comparison to Symphonia and Vesperia.

As for the Lego games, I recommend Star Wars over Indiana Jones for co-op. Indy Jones is still fun, but they did something funny with the camera that sometimes makes jumps really frustrating in co-op. Also, Star Wars has more fun/interesting characters for the second player to play. Let's face it, Chewbaca is a much better sidekick than That One Guy With a Shovel.

This is all basically right.

I wanted to like Lego Indy but it didn't have as much content, while also having slightly boring level design. But it was still funny.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SAINTS ROW 2, MOTHERFUCKERS

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Because it just crossed my mind:

"Lips" can be super fun to play with someone else, and your partner will probably like it (women generally do). Sure, Sing It is probably leaps and bounds above it (never played it), but as an alternative for the Xbox 360 it's still a really cool game. The only downsides I can think of is that you apparently can't listen to your own singing afterwards, and the DLC seems horribly expensive.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Some XBLA games:

Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a fun coop game, though I've found it to be really hard at times. I suggest trying out the demo before you buy it. Aegis Wing is a free horizontal shooter and has four player co-op, so you might as well pick that up. Ikaruga is an extremely hard vertical shooter that will test your patience several times, but it's got excellent co-op and makes the game a little easier if you're playing it with someone. Don't be too surprised if you never beat it though. I haven't, though it's rather replayable and I enjoyed every beating the game gave me. I also haven't played the XBLA port, so I dunno if anything's changed from the Gamecube port I played. Lastly, N+ is extremely fun with a few friends, and has a ton of levels to play. You can play the single player levels co-op if you want, or take on the co-op specific missions (which are fairly hard). Be forewarned, though: You'll die a lot while playing it since the game is all about reflexes, memorization and cooperation. Luckily each level is short and death doesn't really set you back much, if at all, and becomes more of a learning experience.

I realize all the games I suggest are harder then a lot of games out there, so you'll prolly want to play the demos first to find out if they're too challenging for you both.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Got two GBA's lying around because you literally cannot beat FF:CC for the GCN. It's one of the best co-op games ever released.

Phantasy Star Online Ep 1+2 is also pretty damn good co-op.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Does the Live Arcade version of Alien Hominid feature the minigame that they added to the retail version? Because, my god, that game is awesome^10 and actually much prefered to the main game (especially with up to four players). Alternatively, just get the GC version for like a fiver and play it on your Wii.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    SAINTS ROW 2, MOTHERFUCKERS

But it isn't local co-op Pony.

Though it is a fantastic co-op game.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png