As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend On] Low End PC Games

TrusTrus Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
My normal gaming PC broke down earlier this month which means I'm stuck on an old Dell machine that was lying around my apartment. I've been getting by playing City of Heroes and TF2 but I find myself needing a few new games to play. If someone could recommend some older (this thing cant really handle any game made past 2005) or lower end PC games I could play that would be great.

qFN53.png
Trus on

• Options
    MnMaggotMnMaggot Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SW: Republic Commando
    Should run fine and it's a sweet game. Very under appreciated.

MnMaggot on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good Old Games ( www.gog.com ) for all your old gaming needs. Old games reworked to run on new OS's, and 100% DRM free so once you've downloaded the installer you can install it wherever the heck you want. Games are priced at $5.99 and $9.99, so it's pretty cheap too. They usually throw in a bunch of extras with the games depending on what they could get their hands on. Things like artwork, soundtracks and stuff.

Personally I'd recommend Jagged Alliance 2 if you were ever into squad level strategy games, like X-Com. There's also the Unreal series, UT2004 ought to run pretty well now as well. They've also got Fallout 1 and 2, which you might be interested in. Broken Sword series, Oddworld series, basically look around and see what catches your fancy.

I'd also suggest picking up World of Goo if you haven't already, it was pretty much THE indie game of last year. Well, maybe there was Braid as well I suppose, but that's a preference thing. You can get it off of Steam, or direct from the author's website (which is something I usually recommend to people since it means that the devs get all the money), which is also a DRM free copy.

http://2dboy.com/games.php

subedii on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Freespace 2

Robman on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Freedom Force
    System Shock 2
    Diablo 2
    Morrowind (or Daggerfall, depending on how bad off you are)
    Unreal Tournament
    American McGee's Alice
    Any Thief games
    X-COM
    Deus Ex (now you have to install it!)
    The entire Lucasarts Adventure Game Library

That should keep you busy for a month.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FUUUUUUUUCKSHIT why did you write those two unholy words in conjunction

Robman on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    FUUUUUUUUCKSHIT why did you write those two unholy words in conjunction
    Deus Ex

Those two? :lol:

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Obligatory Battle for Wesnoth reference here.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I came in here to complain that Jagged Alliance 2 wasn't in the first three replies and then was pleasently surprised. . .

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Now re-installing Deus Ex... Also, the Max Payne games are pretty awesome.

If the OP's current system can run TF2, it doesn't sound that low-end (and additionally, would make me want to recommend games like Oblivion). Then again, maybe I'm biased, since I'm working off a 1.5ghz PC that's quite literally held together with blu-tack.

Burnage on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    Now re-installing Deus Ex... Also, the Max Payne games are pretty awesome.

If the OP's current system can run TF2, it doesn't sound that low-end (and additionally, would make me want to recommend games like Oblivion). Then again, maybe I'm biased, since I'm working off a 1.5ghz PC that's quite literally held together with blu-tack.

Well, TF2 scales down extremely well.

And pretty much all the good stuff has been recommended. I just have to add The Ur-Quan Masters.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cave Story
    Dwarf Fortress
    Knights of the Old Republic 1/2

Tertiee on
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Warcraft III is a solid RTS that will run on damn near anything, same as Starcraft.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Freelancer

Grid System on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Personally I'd recommend Jagged Alliance 2 if you were ever into squad level strategy games, like X-Com.

2nd post, JA2 get mentioned.

I think I may love you.

But if you want some RTS action, you have only one choice: Total Annihilation.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Crusader: No Remorse

I recall it being badass. I think it may be too low end though..heh

its ooooooold

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »

its ooooooold

Awesome game, I wish my guy didn't walk around like he had a 5 foot pole stuck all the way up his ass, though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »

its ooooooold

Awesome game, I wish my guy didn't walk around like he had a 5 foot pole stuck all the way up his ass, though.

Everybody knows you're just supposed to run into a room, roll, and then unleash hell.

Good pick tho, I forgot about this game. So much fun.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If the OP's current system can run TF2, it doesn't sound that low-end.

TF2 can get 20/30+fps with only a gig of RAM, man, Oblivion still has so many glitches. Also, it sucks.(Objective fact)

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Chris RedfieldChris Redfield Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How has no-one mentioned this yet?

STARCRAFT!

And I agree with KoToR (Knights of the Old Republic, number one is much better than the sequel).

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty much all my recommendations (Deus Ex, X-Com, Diablo II) have been mentioned. Those three alone could probably occupy someone for months, lol.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Plants vs Zombies

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    sgt scruffiansgt scruffian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Deus Ex, Freelancer, Freedom Fighters (if you can find it), Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura, Fallout Tactics, Max Payne, Oni, Gothic

those would be my old time sinks.

sgt scruffian on
    randomSecondPanel.php
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can play Myth II on my 5 year old portable brick, you should be able to too.

guar on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

TF2 can get 20/30+fps with only a gig of RAM, man, Oblivion still has so many glitches. Also, it sucks.(Objective fact)

I can run Oblivion at a much higher framerate than Team Fortress 2. (objective fact)
    Instructions!

Note that I do have two gigs of RAM, but I'm also using reduced poly and scaled down textures because of my integrated graphics card, so 1 gig shouldn't be a problem as long as he's not running Vista or anything.

Edit: also, the Streamline mod helps a TON with memory management.

Frem on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ooh!

Also, Tie Fighter

Best. SW game. Ever

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Frem wrote: »

I can run Oblivion at a much higher framerate than Team Fortress 2. (objective fact)
    Instructions!

Note that I do have two gigs of RAM, but I'm also using reduced poly and scaled down textures because of my integrated graphics card, so 1 gig shouldn't be a problem as long as he's not running Vista or anything.

Edit: also, the Streamline mod helps a TON with memory management.

Any game that requires fans to work for six months to bugfix is not a good game, if twenty+ programmers cannot get memory allocation to work properly they should not get paid, and no product should be released if it voids sectors of your harddrive.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How has no one mentioned Alpha Centauri yet? Or to a lesser extent, civ or their ilk

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any game that requires fans to work for six months to bugfix is not a good game, if twenty+ programmers cannot get memory allocation to work properly they should not get paid, and no product should be released if it voids sectors of your harddrive.

Do you have any citations on voiding sectors of a hard drive? I don't think that's ever happened to people.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »

Do you have any citations on voiding sectors of a hard drive? I don't think that's ever happened to people.

Me. And I format/scan everyday. Fucker was a 250gb too. D:

It's happened to others, and at one point in time Oblivion General was filled with some threads where people claimed to have replicated it: Talking to beggars, the roaming Khajit merchant, and being caught by multiple guards.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    softCactussoftCactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Personally I'd recommend Jagged Alliance 2 if you were ever into squad level strategy games, like X-Com.

I think I may love you.

TA?

WHERE ARE MY DISKS

softCactus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It's happened to others, and at one point in time Oblivion General was filled with some threads where people claimed to have replicated it: Talking to beggars, the roaming Khajit merchant, and being caught by multiple guards.

Damn son. That sucks. Luckily that has never happened to me.

Although if you reformat every single fucking day then you're my hero. I'd commit suicide after installing Windows on the second day.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Damn son. That sucks. Luckily that has never happened to me.

Although if you reformat every single fucking day then you're my hero. I'd commit suicide after installing Windows on the second day.

Every three.

I'm not that crazy.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not that crazy.

You're still fucking crazy. Besides, doesn't Microsoft have something to say to you when you use your key EVERY THREE DAYS?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blizzard's older games (starcraft, diablo I/II, warcraft II/III) will practically run on a toaster and they're pretty solid, even only in singleplayer.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Half-Life, Grim Fandango, and possibly Morrowind if you don't mind being patient.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

I think I may love you.

This was the best response.

EDIT: Altho' I'd also reccomend MechCommander.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone that hasn't played Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, should track down a copy and rectify that.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Disciples 2

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966