As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Madoff's Wife Walks Away a Millionaire

2»

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I am happy he will die in prison. He deserves every second he spends in there, and I wish him horribly long life now.

Oh, I bet it is in the government's best interest to keep him nice and healthy with the best medical care possible.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

Yeah that's crazy. Why do we even have sentences that long, anyway? Why not just say that anything over 100 years is "life" and leave it at that?

Because he didn't commit one singular crime against one person and after awhile shit adds up.

moniker on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haha fuck yes.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    63 billion people have been scammed, and only the people he dealt with directly are eligible for SEC benefits.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    63 billion people have been scammed, and only the people he dealt with directly are eligible for SEC benefits.

That's a LOT of people!

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Damnit, now I have to take back everything bad I said about Malthus.

Edit: Damnit!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chanus wrote: »

That's a LOT of people!

Fuck.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    You have to realize that the Republicans neutered the SEC over the past 8 years with the glee of a garden shears-wielding Bob Barker. They intentionally placed at the head of the SEC industry insiders who were not going to look too closely at the industry they were ostensibly supposed to be regulating (much like they did for many other federal regulatory bodies, but that's a whole thread in of itself,) they made sure that the SEC was underfunded, making it impossible for it to properly regulate the securities industry, and they tied it up in enough red tape to choke a pack of pachyderms.

The result of that is Madoff. Plain and simple.

...the result of 8 years of gutting a regulatory agency is the creation of a 40 year old Ponzi scheme? Are you sure they stripped the SEC of its budget rather than just obligating the funds to building that time machine?

You did read that Madoff only submitted to SEC regulation for his investment firm in 2006, right?
    At which point the Democrats controlled Congress. I don't really think you can pin Madoff on the Republicans.

Yar on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    You have to realize that the Republicans neutered the SEC over the past 8 years with the glee of a garden shears-wielding Bob Barker. They intentionally placed at the head of the SEC industry insiders who were not going to look too closely at the industry they were ostensibly supposed to be regulating (much like they did for many other federal regulatory bodies, but that's a whole thread in of itself,) they made sure that the SEC was underfunded, making it impossible for it to properly regulate the securities industry, and they tied it up in enough red tape to choke a pack of pachyderms.

...the result of 8 years of gutting a regulatory agency is the creation of a 40 year old Ponzi scheme? Are you sure they stripped the SEC of its budget rather than just obligating the funds to building that time machine?

You did read that Madoff only submitted to SEC regulation for his investment firm in 2006, right?
    At which point the Democrats controlled Congress. I don't really think you can pin Madoff on the Republicans.

Congress is in charge of the SEC?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Could someone explain how registering with the SEC works? When do you need to register, why/how did Madoff go so long without registering, and does registering entail immediate oversight and examination of your records or does it take much longer?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

The purse strings, yes.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Could someone explain how registering with the SEC works? When do you need to register, why/how did Madoff go so long without registering, and does registering entail immediate oversight and examination of your records or does it take much longer?

If you're an Investment Advisor with more than 15 people you need to register that with the SEC. Madoff had well over 3,200 and didn't register.

Don't know much of anything else about it beyond that. Watch the Frontline Docu, though.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Depends on what you mean. They are created and governed by federal law, headed by Presidential appointees that must be of both parties, and they serve legislative, judicial, and executive functions. But the point is that Madoff running a 40-year scheme that first filed with the SEC in 2006 doesn't scream "Republicans" to me.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SEC is run by political appointees of both parties.

I don't think you can pin mistakes like these entirely on Republicans, but they are the ones who:

1. Were originally for more deregulation.
    2. Are for ever more deregulation.
    3. Continue to be for more deregulation and total free-market economy even in the face of shit like Enron, Madoff, etc.

I don't think you can make a direct connection like Bush->Madoff or Reagan->Madoff, but the Republicans are the ones who have taken the position of "neuter the regulatory agencies, then appoint people who won't regulate anyway (either because they're from the industry they should be policing or they're incompetent)".

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Clearly this is Clinton's fault.

(Also, great news for McCain.)

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Anyway, reading the article carefully, I noticed it said that Mrs. Madoff walked away with "just" 2.5MM. Just, guys. And here I was, being my dumb old self, thinking $2.5MM was a significant amount of money. Doh.

Yar on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited June 2009

If you're an Investment Advisor with more than 15 people you need to register that with the SEC. Madoff had well over 3,200 and didn't register.

Don't know much of anything else about it beyond that. Watch the Frontline Docu, though.

The SEC registers people who buy or sell securities. Bernie was acting as a money manger, not an investment advisor. Instead of saying, 'you should buy or sell this', he said 'give me your money and i'll take care of it for you'. Under the existing law, money managers aren't required to register with the SEC, because they're selling their services as an investor, rather than investments, per se.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyway, reading the article carefully, I noticed it said that Mrs. Madoff walked away with "just" 2.5MM. Just, guys. And here I was, being my dumb old self, thinking $2.5MM was a significant amount of money. Doh.

is this the fucking Price is Right?

Do you always get a lovely parting gift even if you shit yourself and fall off the stage?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Do you always get a lovely parting gift even if you shit yourself and fall off the stage?

Well, if they don't have any evidence, and nobody will turn you in, then yes, you get off.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

They're journalists. Remember that to them making $250k/year makes you middle-middle class.

moniker on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

No, that's the money that was hers alone, and separate from her assets shared with Madoff.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Yeah that's crazy. Why do we even have sentences that long, anyway? Why not just say that anything over 100 years is "life" and leave it at that?
    Because sentence length is aggregate and determines how early/often you start to get parole hearings.

It also determines what level of federal prison you're eligible for. The fact that he got 150 years means that he's ineligible to be put in a Club Fed.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So 150 years, parole in 4, amirite?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I'll be surprised if he serves 10, but then again I was never expecting him to pull the max 150 years. As to his wife, I understand why she gets to keep 2.5m (I think the main reason being simple expediency.) But she'll spend the rest of her life trying to keep lawyers from getting at it, so it's not like it's a pure windfall for her. I do wonder if she knew of the nefarious things going on though, would a normal person with little financial experience know when and what to question?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope he lives to be 222 years old in jail. Bastard got what he deserved.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll be surprised if he serves 10, but then again I was never expecting him to pull the max 150 years. As to his wife, I understand why she gets to keep 2.5m (I think the main reason being simple expediency.) But she'll spend the rest of her life trying to keep lawyers from getting at it, so it's not like it's a pure windfall for her. I do wonder if she knew of the nefarious things going on though, would a normal person with little financial experience know when and what to question?

It all depends how well he covered his tracks and what side of the business she was involved in.

I can't really say how well he managed two sets of books and who know about them....sounds like anyone who knows is keeping their mouth shut. I'm pretty sure he told anyone who knew anything "guys I'm taking the fall for this, but if you say one word I'll point the finger at you". I doubt he pulled it off alone.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dman wrote: »

It all depends how well he covered his tracks and what side of the business she was involved in.

I can't really say how well he managed two sets of books and who know about them....sounds like anyone who knows is keeping their mouth shut. I'm pretty sure he told anyone who knew anything "guys I'm taking the fall for this, but if you say one word I'll point the finger at you". I doubt he pulled it off alone.

There's absolutely no way he pulled it off alone. Part of his 150 year sentence is probably directly related to the fact that he's been unwilling to point the finger or really explain how it was all done. If the Fed's do their job though, I would imagine we'll see a slow but steady stream of people being charged for their complicity in the scheme. Of course the damage is done, there's no way to get all that money back.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thinking about it, actually, the 150 years makes sense. An awful lot of rich people got screwed by him, and they have way more influence than he and his (few remaining) friends do right now.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's no parole in federal prison, so yeah. See you in 2159, douchebag.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How long until this situation turns into Arrested Development?

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    There's no parole in federal prison, so yeah. See you in 2159, douchebag.

Heh, Zombie Madoff.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In a hundred and fifty years, our heads will be in jars and wondering why they ever trusted Zombie Madoff with their life savings.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

How long till she takes a "weekend off" in the Caymans?

with 5 or 6 empty suitcases

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Man, if I was her as soon as the heat was down, I'd be putting all that money in an offshore trust fund with a executor who wouldn't let any of the funds out. I remember reading about some rich old bag who somehow pulled this off during a divorce and no matter what they did, they were unable to get at the money due to the executor stonewalling them at every front.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Man, if I was her as soon as the heat was down, I'd be putting all that money in an offshore trust fund with a executor who wouldn't let any of the funds out. I remember reading about some rich old bag who somehow pulled this off during a divorce and no matter what they did, they were unable to get at the money due to the executor stonewalling them at every front.

Except there's no executor that stupid, because they would very quickly realize that they could be facing federal charges.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Except there's no executor that stupid, because they would very quickly realize that they could be facing federal charges.

Well that was the whole point of making it an account in another country. Due to all the intricacies of the law, he was able to tell the lawyers to fuck off, she was allowed a certain stipend of the money on a reoccurring basis and that was it. I can't remember exactly how it was done, only that it was a fiendishly wicked plot she had cooked up. I'm sure they eventually got the money though.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Dman wrote: »

There's absolutely no way he pulled it off alone. Part of his 150 year sentence is probably directly related to the fact that he's been unwilling to point the finger or really explain how it was all done. If the Fed's do their job though, I would imagine we'll see a slow but steady stream of people being charged for their complicity in the scheme. Of course the damage is done, there's no way to get all that money back.

Theres an episode of Lie To Me based entirely around this,
    the daughter did it and the dad just took the fall.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

It really is a shame that our society doesn't believe in the dead remaining in the afterlife where they lay in this world. Then if a prisoner died they would put his remains back in their original cells until the remainder of the sentence is carried out.

Think of the whacky sentencing there could be.

This guy could have gotten 6,000 years.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.