As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car Problem - Grinding From Rear?

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello all.

Once again my poor '97 Chevy Cavalier has a problem that's difficult to diagnose.

There is a rather pronounced grinding sound coming from the middle to rear of the vehicle at low speeds (say 20-40mph) that tends to go away at highway speeds. This sound only occurs when I am putting pressure on the accelerator, if I brake or coast the noise stops, though occasionally it does not if I am taking a sharp turn (say at an intersection).

The only mechanic I've taken it to said "oh it's probably just ending out" whatever the hell that means. It's gotten worse. I'd like to have some idea of what might be wrong with it before I take it to another shop.

Any ideas?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• Options
    PennyfreqsPennyfreqs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sorry, I have no knowledge of cars or anything that could possibly help you here.

But.

Your thread title is full of win.

Pennyfreqs on
    You don't have to be wrong for me to be right.
  • Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I misread the title as "Cat Problem - Grinding From Rear?". Oh, the lulz.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd guess wheel bearing. If there are any shops that do free brake inspections it couldn't hurt to get them checked either.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    I'd guess wheel bearing. If there are any shops that do free brake inspections it couldn't hurt to get them checked either.

That's what I thought, but I wouldn't think that would go away at highway speed.

Try one of the "free inspection" places and just keep an eye on the car to make sure they're not dicking with anything they shouldn't be.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That's what I thought, but I wouldn't think that would go away at highway speed.

Try one of the "free inspection" places and just keep an eye on the car to make sure they're not dicking with anything they shouldn't be.

I'm basing that on FWD car, so what else back there would make that kinda noise, and speed might just make the noise too high pitched to hear.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sounds like a wheel bearing as well.

Also check for air in the tire and/or the possibility of having the wrong tire on the vehicle because having the wrong speed rating on the tire will cause vibration/grinding noises.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I third the axel bearing diagnosis. It sounds eerily like what I had on my taurus. If it is a bearing, be careful, the wheel can seize up on you if you don't get it taken care of.

Is it more of a grinding or a squeak?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This isn't related to the "What to do when I go to a club" thread, is it?

I would guess it's a balance/alignment problem with the rear tires. If one of the wheels is slightly bent, you'll hire some odd noises from the tire at low speeds that you wouldn't notice at higher speeds. Is there any vibration to accompany your rear grinding?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Is there any vibration to accompany your rear grinding?

This will be a huge indicator of a bearing problem. A wheel bearing gone bad will cause the tire to vibrate back and forth as much as 10 degrees, and there is no way you'll fail to notice it. (If this happens, get your car to a shop ASAP, as that wheel might decide it doesn't want to be along for the ride anymore)

If there is no vibration, I would suspect a brake problem. Usually problems related to bearings and wheels get worse with higher speeds, not better, whereas the reverse is typically true with brakes.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Persons riding in the back of the vehicle tell me there is some pretty good vibration when it happens. It is a grinding, almost buzzing noise. It's something you can hear quite clearly inside and outside the vehicle. It isn't a cyclical sounding noise, though, its a steady grind/buzz.

I think I'm going to see if I can get it in at Midas on Friday.... if anyone has any other ideas please do share! I want to be able to point the mechanic in the right direction when I bring it in.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you want to point the mechanic in the right direction just make sure you can reliably reproduce the problem. They'll be in a better situation than anyone to tell you what's going on after they've heard the noise for themselves and looked at the car.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Definitely sounds like a bearing issue to me, without reproducing it, I'd just tell them that it seems similar to a bearing issue that your (friend,parent,s/o) had a while back and were just wondering if that were the cause.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No one made a joke about "vibration accompanying your rear grinding."

However, yes, get into the ship ASAP. There's also the fact that your alignment being off for too long will cause your tires to deform, which will have you tossing out some decent change to replace them.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the help dudes and dudettes, hopefully will be getting the car in friday. Hope they fix it!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    OH!

New question! I'm taking this thing to Midas... if I need to have the wheel bearings replaced, how much should I expect that to cost?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    OH!

New question! I'm taking this thing to Midas... if I need to have the wheel bearings replaced, how much should I expect that to cost?

Maybe 2 hours labour and 150.00 or so parts. And thats probably on the expensive side. BTW, that's per side.

Mechanics use one of 2 guides to estimate labour, so if anyone has access to those they could tell you how much time exactly, but 2 hours or more would surprise me.

They might recommend an alignment too, which 100 bucks CAD is one of the expensive places around town. So if thats recommended, about 50-75US I'd guess.

Edit: Oh, and there might be a diagnostic charge.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hopefully I can get a quote on what work needs to be done before they actually do it.... because if this is going to cost more than a grand I'm going to say fuck it and just get a new(er) car.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hopefully I can get a quote on what work needs to be done before they actually do it.... because if this is going to cost more than a grand I'm going to say fuck it and just get a new(er) car.

A wheel bearing won't be more than a grand and any shop will diagnose before doing any repair. At least they should.

Don't let my numbers scare you. The wheel bearings would probably be a lot cheaper and I'm Canadian and in a bit of a larger city so some costs might be inflated because of that.

You can also supply your own parts, so if you call like pep boys or autozone or whoever else you have down there you could find out how much the wheel bearing would be and if Midas tries to charge you a huge chunk for that wheel bearing, just supply your own.

Alignment... Well, after the work is done you can test drive the car to see if it's driving straight, it's not the best test, but it'll tell you if it really NEEDS an alignment. Its not like you must get this done and even if they say you should you don't have to get it done then and there.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    HoothHooth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually just replaced the front driver side wheel bearing in my 98 Taurus (FWD). The sound mine was making was a high pitched whine/grind like the sound of a remote control car. It didn't go away at high speeds, but it did become much less noticeable. The cost was only 70 bucks for the bearing assembly (a Timken, one of the best) from Autozone, but I cant tell you how much the labor would cost as I replaced it myself (took a good 8 hours due to some corrosion practically fusing the bearing in place).

Hooth on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It shouldn't be too expensive. But, like Hooth, I replaced mine on my own as well. The only real expense was the bearing assembly, which was about $85 and a fitted socket for my torque wrench, which was about $7. Picking at corrosion took me about an hour, but after that it was just a matter of sliding the assembly off and putting the new one on and checking to make sure everything was well affixed.

But, I also live on a remote island and don't have many other options. Definitely have the shop at least take a look at it and give you an estimate.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

If you are in the US then it is illegal for them to charge you for work unless they get your approval for it and provide you with an estimate for all costs involved, fyi.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »

If you are in the US then it is illegal for them to charge you for work unless they get your approval for it and provide you with an estimate for all costs involved, fyi.

I honestly did not know this! I always just thought the local mechanic was being nice by calling me and giving me an estimate before he fixed my car.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Once a wheel bearing starts to go you're going to start to be in for a lot of major repairs in my experience.

Serpentine belts, other bearings, transmission issues, sensors, alignments.

I had those all happen in succession in my car, as soon as I hit transmission I said fuck it and got a new car.

bowen on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Once a wheel bearing starts to go you're going to start to be in for a lot of major repairs in my experience.

Serpentine belts, other bearings, transmission issues, sensors, alignments.

I had those all happen in succession in my car, as soon as I hit transmission I said fuck it and got a new car.

Bearings, belts, and sensors are easy enough to replace. It's not like changing a tire or a bulb, but you can rent/borrow the necessary tools and do most stuff in an evening or a weekend at worst.

Once you hit "transmission" though, it's probably time to throw in the oil-soaked rag, especially so if a new gearbox is worth more than the car.

And really, a grand for a fucking wheel bearing is insane outside the realm of German cars. See the "$85 for bearing, $7 for wrench" that Uncle Long posted. Throw in repairshop mark-up and a half hour of labour, it should be like $150-$200 depending on the car.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    eric136eric136 Registered User new member
    Pennyfreqs wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I have no knowledge of cars or anything that could possibly help you here.

But.

Your thread title is full of win.

If you have no knowledge of cars or anything, why did you post out here on an auto forum ?
    What does "full of win" mean ?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Says the post made today in a thread otherwise inactive since 2009.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.