As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

4e/FR: The Adventures Of The Forward Guard IC: The Purple Dragon's Shadow

1101112131416»

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Around Starauth, the five Purple Dragons turned towards the sight on the hill. With clearer eyes, they could separate and differentiate the figures. There were twenty, mostly trumpeteers, but some cavaliers, ringed around a figure holding a long, tall sword made of gold. Someone did something, the sword-bearer turning in a circle to meet them. There was another peal from the trumpets, and then the characteristic ring of a projection spell:

"Lay down your arms, men and women, Purple Dragon and traitor alike! We do not need this strife, this chaos, this pain! I realize that you have done what you can here, left without a chain of commaand and fighting for your lives. I commend you for that! But let us still, calm, stand down. No more blood needs be shed. Come to me, children, and let us regroup, return to Arabel and find our peace.

You may ask who I am to give you these directions. I am Prince Erzoured Obarskyr - yes, King Foril's cousin. But you and I both know that a strong Cormyr, imperial or monarch, cannot stand for instability and weakness like this. We face myriad foes both in and beyond our borders - things the King would never want you to find out about. No! Today's troubles are only a harbinger of the plagues and horrors that lurk in the shadows. Come with me, and we will forge a new future, a new strength to take hold of and keep our Cormyr - OUR CORMYR - safe for everyone!"

At the end of Erzoured's speech, there was silence, and then murmur, and then a cry. Shouts and tears filled the air, burning and boiling into a roar. "All hail Erzoured!" it began, and it grew and grew until it filled the air of the King's Forest, edge to edge. Years later, historians would say those on roads outside the King's Forest could hear the cry, in their hearts if not their ears, and this is how the news of Sword-King Erzoured's reign spread so far, so fast, and how so many spoke of him positively. Never since the days of Azoun the Fourth had there been such patriotism in Cormyr, and it is true, a spark of valor and justice, the values of the Forest Kingdom, was lit in every Cormyrean's heart that day.

----

You hear the speech, the cries, and the shouts that rung in your ears for days to come. After the din had died down, after the Cormyreans picked themselves up again and began to find their way back, you saw three of the Purple Soldiers from earlier come to the courtyard opening again. They shouted; "Hold, in peace." Two men and a woman, all holding long lengths of rusted chain. "Look, we don't know who you are, and we don't know why we attacked each other. But let's go peacefully. We'll chain you up, and take you back to Arabel as prisoners. If you are adventurers, as you said, we can sort things out there, with less blood to worry about. Please. We don't need Sune to weep any more this day." You looked at each other, shrugged, and wore the chains. The six Dragons dealt you well on the way back, allowing you to recover your horses and taking you back to Arabel with the remnants of its army. Much of the organization had been lost, soldiers left with blackened armor and blood-stained weapons, and it was said that the line of returning Dragons stretched for miles and miles, that Crownpost almost went without food for a day as the citizenry and the merchants gave to those returning.

When you returned to Arabel, you were brought into the dungeons underneath the castle. Luckily, Cormyr's good spirit remained whole. They were clean, well-kept, and almost empty, surprisingly. Excepting a handful of beggars and pickpockets spilled over from watch posts, there were no other "Netherese spies" to be seen. The food was good, and the torches kept well-lit. You were in prison - the guards and the lack of belongings or really anything to do saw to that - but it was almost pleasant.

---

Three days into your stay, you could hear an odd clothed shuffling coming down the stairs, where you had heard guards change so many times before. A familiar voice said, "Go off, spend a moment at lark." After the metallic march of the guards faded away, you could hear an audible sigh. "Finally. A place to catch a moment of calm with my pipe. Torch one two three four, which shall I use. Ah! Four!" The figure made its way down the passage towards you, turning and stopping in front of the torch mounted across from your cell. You saw him pull out a long wooden pipe, blackened and split all at one end. He reached into a pouch of herbs, putting more than a judicious pinch in, and oddly resting the entire end of the pipe in the torch-flame for a moment to light it - the cause of its blackened condition. The figure took a puff, then exhaled, the smoke smelling exotic and sweet.

Yanthil:
    Oddly enough, you recognize the smell - many of the traders you met in your travels across the Sea of Fallen Stars smoked the same blend, an export from gardens outside of Cormyrean Westgate.

He turns, the pipe almost falling from his lips. "Oh, by all Mystra's lost stars!" The words tumble from Vainrence's mouth, agape and then turning to a snarl. "Guards! Get these people out of a cell! They're not spies, they're adventurers!"

A minute later, the War Wizard is leaning on a table in the guards' breakroom as you replace your adventuring supplies and refit your armor. His deep, rich, crimson cloth glows under the low flame, his brown-eyes hard inside the full hair and beard you remember so well. "That was absolutely inexcusable. But, before I go and shout myself hoarse again for reasons totally unrelated to intranational diplomacy - actually, this is quite the blissful diversion in that way - you must have some questions about the current state of Arabel, of Cormyr. You have heard we now live under the rule of Sword-King Erzroured, yes?"

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "I believe he mentioned something about it, yes," says Rhogar drily.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Prison. For all his childhood, Yan had never been inside one, though this was much nicer than he had imagined it to be. Though it was boring. And he couldn't help but feel bad when his manifestation woke the others from sleep.

As Vainrence takes blows out the smoke, Yan takes a minute to delight in the smell from his journey across the sea. Next thing he knew, his mind took him back to the ship, and his time in Turmish. They were good memories, setting off to a foreign land.

When his armor was refit, and he had his sword once again. He listened to the War Wizard, and nodded when Rhogar said his bit.

"We have indeed heard about Erzroured. But I think that most of us are probably wondering what happened out in the Amphitheater. Are there indeed spies in Cormyr?"
    I have no idea how to pronouce the Sword-King's name.

Also, I feel obliged to link over here.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lethe was grumpy.

She sat in the back of the party, making her distaste of the situation clear as she grunted and sighed at key phrases. The first being Rhogar's comment.

Lethe didn't care for the politics of the world and was instead content with crossing her arms and putting on her best "I-hate-being-in-a-damp-prison-for-being-falsely-accused-of-being-a-spy" look.
    It's good to be back on the move with you guys.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    PygmalionPygmalion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Beltenebros spends the couple of days in peaceful contemplation. He sent out his armor to be polished by an armor polisher, and tried to convince a soothsayer to make a house arrest call.
    Erch-row-you-red would never have won if I hadn't softened them up with my diplomacy beforehand. But at least we accomplished our quest in spectacular style. Surely our names must be known through the kingdom at this point!
    He stood and listened patiently to Vainrence. "Is anything different now that Erzroured is King? Do we have to renew our adventurer's license? As a Knight-errant, I am extremely interested in having the proper paperwork."

Pygmalion on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Vainrence nods at Rhogar. "Ah, so you heard the speech that's now called the New Dragon's Valor. As for the spies..." He turns and looks into the fire.

"Opinions are still mixed on that. I took a few War Wizards to the ruin and looked around: there was some sort of magic there, something beyond the hedge rituals of goblins and orcs, but we couldn't identify it. Either way, Erzoured's right to suspect spies in the army, likely magically influenced. Of course, he's used the 'weakness' seen in the local regiments to promote himself as a new King. Arabel is now a rogue city-state inside Cormyr's borders. The Purple Dragons have put up barriers at the High Road to Eveningstar, just north of Immersea, and at Masoner's Bridge. There would be a force to the north, but Castle Crag has almost outrightly declared its allegiance to Erzoured.

I think, to answer Beltenebros' question, your charter should be fine, being Herald-administered. This is a military and monarchial issue, not a time for new reams of paperwork. However, I will write you a letter of support." He unrolls a scrap of parchment, steals a quill, and scratches out a simple document, sealing it with his ring. "There you go. I don't think Mystra's mark should be necessary for such a thing, if anyone has an issue with that they'll be going against the intermediary between Foril and Erzoured. I do have a favour to ask of you, however. I'm sure you saw the rumblings about Netherese spies here in Arabel before the goings on at the ruins?"

After you nod, he continues. "Well, I'd like you to investigate some of those signs. Certainly, you've proven yourself with your work for around the Lady's Seat, but there was the outbreak in petty thefts and so on. We need to know - both Foril and Erzoured, Cormyr and Obarskyr - if we're facing our enemy to the north. Anything you track down, report directly to me. With spies around...well, I'm sure you know the consequences of Leira's tongue."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm sure I do know the consequences of Leira's tongue. After all.
    "Ah, we would be happy to perform an investigation," says Beltenebros, taking the letter of support. "How should we contact you privately? Perhaps we will be far afield in the course of our quest."

Pygmalion on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "I can't see you going too far afield. I should be in Arabel for at least the next tenday; you can find me in the castle."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's Knight Errantry: If you don't go far afield, you aren't doing it right!
    "Very well. Do you have a suggestion where we should go first? We've been isolated for a time and perhaps the situation has changed."

Pygmalion on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "I think you've likely heard of a few events while you were here before. Petty crimes, chases, anything should do as a starting point. However, the Tymorans do have wanted posters out for you, so you may want to talk to them first."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kisha remains utterly silent throughout the imprisonment and their subsequent release, her face staying relatively passive and unmoving. When Vainrence mentions the Tymorans, she nods. "We should have released the curse on their temple in the battle. We can talk to them first."

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Why does nobody take me at my word!" he says. "This is becoming quite strange."
    It's been THREE DAYS! What do they think we did?

Pygmalion on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    After saying your goodbyes to Vainrence you make your way up and out of Arabel's citadel. The Purple Dragons along the way dare not question the word of the War Wizard, but they do shoot you long glances and mutter in corners nonetheless. You come back out into the bright Flamerule sun, squinting from the days without natural light. A squire brings you the reins to your horses, and a small patrol ushers you out beyond the military encampment: as before, long grassy fields choked with tents, siege engines, the smoke of cooking fires and the yells and laughter of soldiers. The patrol leaves you at the edge of the fields, where the gardens of the castle, the fields of the citadel, and the long plaza of the Lady's Seat blend into one another.

There's a gaggle of children there, motley and distinct in age, garb, and obviousness of their gawking, and when you move out, they give you a once-over. "Hey!" one girl calls out, her red hair almost running down to the ground in tresses and bouncing against her brown dress. "You're the people from the wanted poster!" She runs over and grabs the foremost horse by the leg, pulling. "Come on! I have to take you to the Lady's Seat!"

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rhogar feels refreshed and energetic as they leave the citadel... being out and about once more fills him with a foolish giddiness, and he chuckles at the little girl, finding her hairstyle amusing.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Being out in the open for the first time in 3 days is a relief for Yan. He wasn't the biggest fan of being underground more than necessary. Taking his horse through the makeshift encampment, he takes his time to examine the local military force, trying to see if anything is amiss.

When the girl runs up to their horses, a smile crosses Yan's face. After she makes her mission known he replies, "Well then, if she has to take us to the Lady's Seat, we had better follow! Would you mind telling us who told you to bring us?"
    Perception on the masses. Anything odd going on, other than them thinking us to be spies?
    Perception: 1d20+7 27

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Yes, take us where you will," says Beltenebros, distracted by the crowd after days of isolation.

Pygmalion on