As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Health Insurance Question (Coinsurance/Deductible)

mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking to drop my employer's insurance plan (I dropped from full time to part time, they've been kind enough to keep me on but let me pay for it) and go for my own. I do have a question about the plans I'm seeing:

1. If Coinsurance and Deductible are listed as "None," does that mean that I don't pay for anything (besides the plan itself and any copays for doctor visits)?

mightyspacepope on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's about the gist of it.

Also be prepared to pay much, much, much more for solo insurance. The mobility is fuckawesome but everything else blows about it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually, the prices I'm being quoted are looking to be about $100 less than what I had to pay through the employer.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually am paying half of what I was paying with my employer (minus his half, so one quarter total), but we were on a group plan with mostly people over 50... and we also got screwed by the insurance company into ridiculous premiums...

So, I'm an outlier case, I suppose... but it is possible to find it cheaper on your own.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm looking to drop my employer's insurance plan (I dropped from full time to part time, they've been kind enough to keep me on but let me pay for it) and go for my own. I do have a question about the plans I'm seeing:

1. If Coinsurance and Deductible are listed as "None," does that mean that I don't pay for anything (besides the plan itself and any copays for doctor visits)?

You are correct sir.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually, the prices I'm being quoted are looking to be about $100 less than what I had to pay through the employer.

Well depending on the state, they could be underwriting you based on age / medical history. So if you're a young dude with no significant medical history, damn straight you're gonna get a better rate than a company with god-knows-what demographics.

Deebaser on