As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aesir Appreciation Thread

StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice,To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Social Entropy++
You think you've got a pretty cool religious structure, yeah? You got some neat gods in there, got a nice omnipotent deity?

Fuck that shit, the vikings have you beat. Seriously, those motherfuckers knew how to worship, and they knew who to worship.

Their gods weren't going to live forever, they weren't all powerful, none of that. They knew they were going to die, and what did they do about it? They fucking partied is what they did about it.

Thread for talking about how awesome the Norse gods were (I guess that includes the Vanir too but they're a bunch of pansies).

Straightzi on

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    [strike]I'm afraid the robot beat you, quickly edit it up and it'll be our secret[/strike]

Fuck yeah Thor rocks

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hahahahaha

awesome edit

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    quality edit

anyone remember when Hercules went to the north and had adventures with baldur and thor and such?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is probably one of the better known stories from Norse mythology, but there's a good reason for it. This shit is rad as hell. Also it involves crossdressing, subverting the masculinity of the most masculine god ever, which is, y'know, pretty cool.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/thrym.html

Straightzi on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also if you're interested in this sort of thing, this book is amazing, the author does a great job of retelling all the stories and includes tons of annotations to explain discrepancies and such:

TheNorseMyths-sm.jpg

Straightzi on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck your books with accurate retellings from pansy historians and such, I will learn my mythology from huge swedish men with crazy beards

I like how the gods aren't completely super special, they have to eat freya or someone's golden apples to stay immortal.

The Finnish Kalevala is pretty cool and interesting too.

alt post: hey this is like all that stuff in storm peaks in WoW

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not my sort of music, but fucking awesome regardless.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    shit yeah

much better than the pussy fag gods in style today

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hermod's Ride to Hel is super good, actually, even if I don't like that style of singing. Also pretty damned accurate.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Loki is patron god of Mr. Hands.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The best was when Odin made dudes go through a hardy trial of his choosing if they wanted his help.

speaking of which heres the drawing I did of the world tree as a bg for my forum battle

Yggdrasil-1.jpg

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Fucking wonderful.

I really like the story that comes from, actually.

My favorite though is probably the one about the mead of poetry. Odin is stone cold in that shit.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Berk wrote: »
    The best was when Odin made dudes go through a hardy trial of his choosing if they wanted his help.

speaking of which heres the drawing I did of the world tree as a bg for my forum battle
    *snippty snip*

Sometimes, I like the Sagas and chronicles better than the poetic edda as a source to how awesome the Gods are. I love stories were men have to bargain with Odin to gain his favour or when he straight up gives bad advice in wars to bolster his army of the fallen.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

I'm still not quite sure how big horse + god who has turned into a horse = horse with 8 legs

L|ama on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i too gave up an eye for wisdom

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DL your brown eye doesn't count

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i gave it up with love

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason I thought you were gonna be talking about Max Payne.

Anyways I've got a huge mythology encyclopedia, I've read through the stuff on Nordic and Celtic myths they're pretty neat. The mythology of pagan religions in general is pretty neat.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Weren't the valkyries basically savage women riding flying, wingless wolves? pretty awesome, I must say.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love me some Viking mythology. I gotta brush up on it again though

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sorry, Quetzi, I was asleep!

Also, Celtic Mythology was always my favorite.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want to fuck valkyries until the end of time

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    C%C3%B3pia_de_Seigfried.png
    "The German name of the hero in the epic poem of the Nibelungenlied. The dragon Fafnir's blood made him invincible, but a single leaf on his back resulted in a weak spot."
    —Compendium Info

Siegfried is the German name of Sigurd, a famed hero in Norse mythology. Sigurd was requested to slay Fafnir by Regin, his foster parent and guardian. Regin was the brother of Otr and Fafnir and son of Hreidmar. Otr was killed by the Aesir after they mistook him for an otter, and as compensation had his body stuffed with gold. Fafnir then killed Hreidmar and stole the "Otr's Gold", and to better guard it, turned himself into a dragon.

Sigurd met Odin on his way, who advised the hero to dig trenches to drain the dragon's blood, which apparently gives him invulnerability . He killed Fafnir when the dragon walked over the trench, and bathed himself in the blood. However, a leaf had fallen and stuck on his shoulder. When he drank some of the blood, he understood the language of the birds and learned that Regin was plotting his death. As retaliation, he killed Regin first.

Seriously though, mythology is good stuff.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Today I drank beer, ate steak, drank whisky, lived through a massive thunderstorm, fucked, worked out, drank beer, admired the sunset, saw lightning in the distance and drank more beer and whisky. I my own way, I think I pleased the gods.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    peter ebel you always inspire and delight me

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    High and unexpected praise. Likewise!