Options

Acclimating cats to car travel

LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Next year I'll be moving and part of this adventure will be driving seven hours with two cats. Currently neither one is an ideal traveller.

Cat #1: Yowls constantly while in his carrier, with very drawn out, high pitched, whiny meows.

Cat #2: Gets frantic when he is in the car in his carrier. He will meow for a few minutes, then get glassy-eyed and start hyperventilating, then mix in terrified rolling over and over in the carrier trying to claw his way out. Often there is vomiting between one of the other steps.

He is the one I'm really worried about; I can stand repetitive meowing, but this cat is clearly in distress. (The hyperventilating is definitely due to stress and not heat because he has done it in the middle of winter when the car was still cold.) Both cats are used to the actual carriers, which are reguarly napped in at home.

Basically, I am trying to figure out a few things. First, how to get Cat #2 more comfortable with car travel so he doesn't give himself a heart attack. Second, how to get the cats happier/quieter in general. Third, figuring out the logistics of pit stops, both for me and the cats. (They are both harness trained, but I don't trust the harnesses enough to let them outside in a strange area.)

Oh, and requisite pics:
3684204677_636a78b007.jpg

3685016712_952489ee89.jpg

LadyM on

• Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How big is the carrier? Do you think a larger one would help? What kind of carrier do you use? Would something like this be better? I know vets can also give you a sedative to give the cat to keep it calm during travel.

As for the pit stops, I don't have a recommendation for that. My roomie had a 7 hour drive when she moved but she stopped half way and spent the night with friends so the cat used the bathroom then.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll have to second the suggestion to tranq 'em.

For air travel it's not recommended (see the link about unheated cargo areas + low blood pressure = Bad Things) but for car travel in a climate-controlled area it's generally pretty safe. Get the kitties checked out by the vet beforehand and mention that you're going to be travelling, and what would s/he suggest.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How big is the carrier? Do you think a larger one would help? What kind of carrier do you use? Would something like this be better? I know vets can also give you a sedative to give the cat to keep it calm during travel.

As for the pit stops, I don't have a recommendation for that. My roomie had a 7 hour drive when she moved but she stopped half way and spent the night with friends so the cat used the bathroom then.

IMO the problem with that carrier is that it's too see-through. If the cat is freaking out, he might want a sort of hiding place where he can't see all the motion, and nothing can see him. Mind you, other kitties might be bored enough to want something that allows them to look out.

Saddler on
  • Options
    BetelguesePDXBetelguesePDX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On a 16 hour drive I one had to take I filled up the cat carrier with fluffy old T shirts (to make the ride smoother) and covered the carrier with a towel on top and on 3 sides. Left the side facing the second cat's carrier uncovered so kitties can see each other and be somewhat reassured. Giving them a dark, soft confined space kinda makes them feel secure and less prone to being freaked out. Of course YMMV.

BetelguesePDX on