As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me Buy A Bike

akuteakute Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I live about 10 minute drive to work.

So I'm guessing I can make it around 30 on a bike.

I might want a 10 speed, but I don't really want a ghetto bike. I also don't need to spend $1 Zillion on a bike either.

So I'm looking for middle to upper class 10 speed that I will mostly ride on sidewalks but maybe to keep to ride on hills or offroad if I stick with it. But I also don't want to be a jackass with most expensive bike in town but I don't really have the hours logged to have such a trophy.

Any ideas for sexy looking bike that I can ride and cherish for the next year to come?

Mostly I will be riding in a Midwest city, rain snow sleet or tornado but hopefully shine.

akute on

• Options
    Hardleft_335Hardleft_335 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Price range?

A Specialized Hard Rock with slick tires on it will probably fit the bill. You can get them pretty cheap new. Its a mountain bike. You are going to want something taht you can put fenders on.

The most important part is fitting. Bike shops have told me a bike fits me just to get it out of the door. Make sure that you measure yourself and look up your sizes using one of the many bike fitting websites out there.

Also, think about riding in the road. Sidewalks are meant for pedestrians and can be dangerous, even more than the road.

Hardleft_335 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nice!

Price range is arond $1k, or under.

That's a sexy bike. Now to find a bike shop around town, or to just order it off the 'net. I'll also research "bike fitting" when I get out of work. I'm 5'11 though.

Oh, and so I'll look like more of a jackass on the sidewalk than in the street? Good tip. I'll google something like that as well...

http://www.storespecials.com.au/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?Q=bTHgT4qrmrZZO5LS2r9GwnMrwEV64z6s

Edit: Too bad that store is in Australia. I don't know if the ship to the States. Also, I am male...how do I avoid accidently buying "ladies bike" or making mistake of browsing said bikes at the store?

akute on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    I'm 5'11 as well and ride a 53, also a Specialized (Vienna 3). Just make sure you take it for a test ride.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You sound like you know next to nothing about bikes so please don't buy one online because you will put it together wrong.

Where do you live? There has to be at least a few bike shops around you where you can get fitted and do some test rides. Also specialized is one of the biggest brands out there so you will almost certainly find a shop near you that stocks them. You're probably looking for either a road bike, cyclocross bike or a mountain bike with slicks depending on if you really intend to go off road with it and to what extent. $1k is certainly enough for a solid model of any of those types of bikes.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    If you wanna spend around $500 only, get a Jamis Commuter series bike and a good helmet, and a good lock. If you wanna go budget, try to find something that fits 700CC tires, and down the road upgrade the handle bars to be shorter and lighter, the gear shifts to be more precise, and the seat to be lighter. Eventually upgrading the rims, tires and tubes to be thinner and harder would also help.

The Jamis Commuter line is a hybrid style that combines a 1x8 gear setup with 700CC tires and a ridiculously light frame. I think it's probably the best stock bike value in its price range if you want to commute across town, it handles reasonably well in rain and on sandy roads, and it's incredibly fast on smooth pavement. I ride a Commuter 2.0 and it rocks my world, and it cost me about $600 after taxes in Canuckistan.

PS if you're going to get one, seriously get the mustache style handlebars but adjust them so they're angled down such that your hand isn't angled into your fore arms. If the line from your fore arm through your hand looks the same as when you make a normal fist, that's the right spot for it. Anatomically correct, super tight for cornering, and sooooo light

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    saltiness wrote: »
    You sound like you know next to nothing about bikes so please don't buy one online because you will put it together wrong.

Thanks for the confidence in both me and my ability to follow instructions.

But, yeah, using the specialized.com website, I found a dealer in this city.

Any other advice to keep me from sounding like a noob/moron/getting screwed?

It looks like I want the Specialized Hardrock Sport frame with the Disc brakes (hell, why not). Ask for street tires?

akute on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    Why don't you just get a Vienna (it's listed as Globe on their site)

I mean, you're planning on using it as a street/commute bike and want to put street tires and discs on it. They already make that bike without any modifications, it's called a Vienna 3. Like I said before I have one and it rocks :)

edit: I also wanted to point out again that you need to test ride. Most of Spec's hybrid bikes are on road frames, so you'll end up leaning forward more. If that doesn't jive with you you'll want to try a different brand.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks Pheezer for the Jamis plug, I'd never heard/seen of them and they look great!
    I'm in the same position as the OP but with a much lower price range so maybe there are some older models hanging around.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    akute wrote: »

But, yeah, using the specialized.com website, I found a dealer in this city.

Any other advice to keep me from sounding like a noob/moron/getting screwed?

It looks like I want the Specialized Hardrock Sport frame with the Disc brakes (hell, why not). Ask for street tires?
    Don't tell them you're trying to spend $1000, and look around at bikes other people are riding for qualities you like before you let a salesperson decide for you. I'm not sure what kind of bike shops you have where you live, but in my experience shops that don't deal in used bikes at all and strictly offer brand names often staff people that either seem to have no cycling knowledge or they have the wrong kind and are going to sell you Lance Armstrong's setup (I exaggerate, but still).

There are thousands upon thousands of used bikes out there for a fraction of $1000 that would probably be much more suitable for you than a new Specialized, regardless of the model. They will range from weekend warrior's "outdated" 2008 models to rusted piles of junk from someone's backyard. If you find one that needs a little tuning up, you can likely do it yourself after a quick google search for a howto (or just find Sheldon Brown and look no further) or you can get it fixed by a (fair/friendly) bike mechanic and still come out far below your $1000 budget.

I love when people say they don't want to spend a lot and the amount they quote is twice as high as I was thinking. $1000 is what I spent on all three of my bikes I'm keeping around combined. Buy used, it is your first bike after all!

*Edit - Roadbike geometry does not mean that you have to lean forward necessarily. It really depends on the slope of your toptube (which will generally be flat or negligible unless you're shopping for pursuit frames) and the height/style of your seat and bars.

Pojaco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    1000 dollars is way more than I expected. I figured you were looking to spend more like 300. Thats why I recommended a Hard Rock. Its a good bike that can be found used for 200-300 on craigslist.

I would also recommend against ordering a bike online unless you have test ridden that exact same bike before. Putting a bike together and tuning it can be pretty hard, and if you fuck up the brakes you could really hurt yourself. If you do order something online, take it to a bike shop and have them check everything over/assemble it. It should only cost 70-80 dollars.

If you buy a used bike, do the same. Have the shop do a full tuneup for 60-70 bucks and walk out with a quick and quiet bike.

Ok, so with 1000 bucks (which is way more than you need to spend) I would buy a cyclocross bike. You can stretch your budget a little bit and get a Surly Crosscheck, or a Bianchi Volpe, or a Kona Jake. These types of bikes look like road bikes, but they have slightly larger clearances for fenders and bigger tires. They are also supposed to be a little more heavy duty. They can be taken offroad. They have drop bars which might take some getting used to.

Hybrid bikes are great for short trips. I ride a Globe Vienna 1 and it does the job. I don't love the bike, but I cant complain about it. The only problem Ive had was that I destroyed the rear wheel after hitting curbs and not keeping enough air in the tire. This was my fault.

Mountain bikes are great for offroading and general use, but they may not be the best for a commute to work. Are you ever really going to go offroad? If so, then this might be the best choice.

Roadbikes are great, but they usually dont have a way to put on fenders or a rack. They only take thin tires and cant be taken offroad.

The best thing would be to go to a few stores and just try out bikes. Find what feels good. Then write down the size, model number and make and look up reviews online. Leave your debit and credit cards at home so you don't get pushed into anything. Don't forget to budget for a U-lock, a blinky front and rear light (Planet bike superflash is great), and a helmet. I recommend a floor pump and a frame pump and a patch kit too.

When you go in (and be sure to go into a few different stores) just take a look around. Find a bike that looks good and ask them for a test ride. They will ask for your license as collateral. Take it down the street and see if it feels comfortable. Then go and try another one. Then another.

You are probably a size 56, but sizes change from model to model, manufacturer to manufacturer. Its just like buying jeans.

Hardleft_335 on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We have a bike thread in D&D, and there are some people who work at bike shops that might also be able to give you some more advice/recommendations.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's nothing personal. Putting a bike together and tuning it correctly can be very difficult for the uninitiated and since it's something you can seriously injure or kill yourself on it's best to have a professional build it until you can learn how to properly work on it.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's nothing personal. Putting a bike together and tuning it correctly can be very difficult for the uninitiated and since it's something you can seriously injure or kill yourself on it's best to have a professional build it until you can learn how to properly work on it.

Not only that, but chances are you don't have any of the tools that you need. A very minimalist bike tool set can easily run you around $100. And yes, the things are incredibly difficult to assemble.

If you want a commute bike, I would recommend:

Specialized Bikes:
    Sirrus Sport $590
    8295-50_EL_Sirrus_sport_green_d.jpg
    Crosstrail Sport $580
    8292-62_EL_CT_sport_char-sil_d.jpg

Trek Bike:
    FX 7.3 $640
    73fx_candyred.jpg

Scott Bike:
    SUB 20 $650
    59D90bhfN6Uitm4aO2b05tHeRsxd58rS.jpg

Giant Bike:
    FCR 3 $600
    FCR-3-Gray_Black.jpg

My roommate and I just test rode each of those to find a good personal fit. They are all quite comparable, except the Crosstrail has a lockable suspension fork so it can be taken on terrain a little rougher than pavement if you ever feel the need. They all take fenders and racks, so I would recommend test riding all of them before making a decision.

And if you do end up ordering one online, please make a thread with the results :P

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Thanks Pheezer for the Jamis plug, I'd never heard/seen of them and they look great!
    I'm in the same position as the OP but with a much lower price range so maybe there are some older models hanging around.

I have a Jamis Citizen, and I love it. It's a city bike, designed for comfort and ease of use. The handlebars are nice and high, so you don't have to bend over very far. It's 21 speed, which honestly is way too many (I use 2-3 at most), and the seat is very comfortable. It's more comfortable than my couch. Mine was in the $300-500 range; it's been a few years so I forget the exact price.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I ended up getting a Specialized Hardrock Sport with disc brakes. I also did what you all recommended and got street tires.

Only problem is probably that it is a 19" frame, and 21-23" is more the recommended size for me. That, and I may have trouble getting it in my car. I cleaned it all out and folded down the trunk seats, so I hope I can do it.

I'll resurrect this thread once more once I start riding it. Thanks all for the recommendations. =]

akute on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Disc brakes (hell, why not).
    Heavier than standard brakes, and the the wheels are more expensive. On the plus side, they do tend to brake better in all-weather conditions.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you find that you are uncomfortable on the bike after your first two weeks of riding, try going to a bikestore and trying out some different stems. They are very easy to switch out and can change the size-feel (i just made that word up). Plus, they are like 10-20 bucks and some shops will just trade you for the one that came stock.

To fit it into your car you can remove the front tire pretty easily.

Hardleft_335 on