As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheapest path to a LEGAL version of Photoshop

Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I did a search, but saw no relevant topics.

I'm currently legally using Adobe Photoshop 5.0 Limited Edition. Don't laugh.

I would like to purchase a legal copy of Photoshop. I'm not a student or a teacher, so I don't have access to the education discount. I don't believe my archaic copy is eligible for an upgrade.

I tried looking at eBay, and good god. It looks like a WoW gold seller fiesta. In any case, I'm pretty sure those are pirated copies, even if I wanted to deal with them.

Full retail price is a little out of my price range... has anybody found a cheaper non-education discount way to legally obtain Photoshop.

Side question: I really only want something for minor photo manipulation and to work with my Nikon DSLR's RAW format, which my puny version of PS can't do. Would Photoshop Elements do the trick? That's a manageable price. How gimped is it compared to full Photoshop for a basic user?

Peeps Chicken on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    try GIMP. Free open source photoshop clone. Not nearly as many features. I have no idea what you're trying to do, but it might do what you want?

NotYou on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sorry, but the gimp is no replacement for photoshop. See what versions of photoshop can be upgraded to the most current one and then buy the oldest one and the upgrade.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Despite owning a DSLR, and having legal access to Adobe CS4 suite, I have yet to take or play around with RAW forats. I need to do that.

Anyways, without doing too much research, there is this: https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html
    Dunno if it can read RAW. There is also Lightroom, from Adobe. I don't think you need PS withit, and it's meant more for digital photography.

The free Google Picasa can handle RAW, though I haven't used it in awhile. I believe it offers some editing functions, probably not too in depth.

I would try demos of Lightroom and Photoshop, to see which works better for you. You can get at least 30 days free on each one I think. If Lightroom works, you can get it for a retail price of about what you'd pay for a student version of the suite which would include photoshop.

EDIT: GIMP is awful and nobody should use it.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GIMP has a plugin called UFRAW that converts RAW files into other formats, but not vice-versa. If you don't need to save as RAW, GIMP would be a free alternative.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GIMP is for amateurs.

The cheapest way to get a newer version of Photoshop is to go through a university store and get it at an "education" price. I'm pretty sure they've ditched their actual education licenses for non-volume sales, so it's legal for production use.

The problem is, you can only get the full suite like that and you're still looking at a $400 bill.

If you aren't in school or aren't a member of some alumni then find someone who is and has access to a college software store and get them to buy it for you.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Try Paint.NET.

There's no reason to pay for Photoshop unless you're a professional.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've heard Elements is absolutely horrendous. I once used it on somebody's else's computer briefly, and it is pretty horrible.
    Jasconius wrote: »
    If you aren't in school or aren't a member of some alumni then find someone who is and has access to a college software store and get them to buy it for you.

Yeah, I was going to suggest this. That way you can get the student discount price, which is the cheapest legal way I can see to get this software.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've heard Elements is absolutely horrendous. I once used it on somebody's else's computer briefly, and it is pretty horrible.

Yeah, I was going to suggest this. That way you can get the student discount price, which is the cheapest legal way I can see to get this software.

Technically speaking, this probably wouldn't be a legal copy, because the license probably requires that you actually be a student or a teacher.

oldsak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm not even certain that Elements is an actual program anymore. I think it's just a tackle box of graphic assets that you add on to Photoshop.

I could be wrong, regardless, Elements is probably worse than GIMP or Paint.NET in terms of getting real work done.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oldsak wrote: »

Technically speaking, this probably wouldn't be a legal copy, because the license probably requires that you actually be a student or a teacher.

That's violating the license. But it's not a violation of law. A copy would be illegal if you stole it from a store or broke copyright law by downloading a copy.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    As I stated before, I do not believe Adobe actually does educational licensing anymore. They do educational pricing so that digital production schools can sell copies to their students for homework, etc.

As an owner of a copy of both CS2 and CS3, purchased legitimately from my college, I can verify that at least in CS3, there is no actual "educational" clause anywhere in the licensing.

The only true "educational license" is when they do bulk key distribution for setting up computer labs, etc... which no individual would have access to, student or not.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would actually give GIMP a try. I don't know how fully-featured the OP actually needs the software to be. GIMP is free, so it's worth giving it a try and seeing if it is sufficient to the OP's needs before spending money on Photoshop. If it's not, you're no worse for the wear.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    You should consider lightroom if you are going to be using it for photo stuff.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It was always perfectly legal to use the educational versions of adobe products for profit. There were never any restrictions on their use. You could buy an education version and then upgrade it with a standard edition upgrade. I guess Adobe is just happy you're acquiring the software legitimately.

MushroomStick on
This discussion has been closed.