As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stacker (and other skill testers): where's the l00t at

AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
I watched my friend win a PSP playing stacker the other day. He did it first try then he asked me whether I wanted an ipod and got within one block of winning again. It was pretty awesome!
Mind you he has sunk about 200 dollars into this machine and is only now getting anywhere near good.

Being a skeptic I have a feeling that there may be a randomizing factor in the machine that only allows a win every X amount of games. You probably wouldn't even notice if the machine delayed your input by a fraction of a second.

Does anyone know whether this is the case?

Failing that post sweet things you have won on Stacker and other skill testers...

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
QEz1Jw1.png
Amigu on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There is a control panel inside the Stacker-type games (this includes crane games) where the arcade operator can control the win percentage. I've seen it myself.

edit: the basic Stacker game can be set to win anywhere between 1 in 10 games and 1 in 800, although you (as in the arcade operator) can buy an upgrade kit to set the odds as high as 1 in 1400 games. The manufacturer's official line is that it is still a game of skill and any game can be a winning one, but this does not match actual practice. (But who knows, maybe they keep a 1:1,000,000 randomizer in there for every game for legal reasons; I don't have the source code).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So the only real way to beat the odds on it would be open it up and change the control panel settings... which is obviously sort of illegal

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The real fun part is where the arcade operator sets it to 1 in 1400 or so and then powers it off every night so the counter starts over every morning and it never actually wins, ever.

Slot machines are held to higher standards.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There is of course, the one classic way to beat the odds on a Stacker machine: purchase one, and then rent yourself some high-traffic real estate e.g. in a mall or on a boardwalk, put an unrealistic prize in there and set the odds to "one in fuggetaboutit".

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The answer to cracking these machines are stakeouts. You sit and watch the machines for days, and figure out how many it takes before a winner comes out. then you do it at least once more. if the numbers are around close (in this case, in the hundreds most likely with expensive prizes), then you have the seed number. now you continue to sit until enough people play to push the played numbers up, and then you start playing again. you will win without spending as much.

this is the general rule of thumb to claw games at least.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played a lot of Stacker when I got bored sitting around a boardwalk in Delaware. 9 times out of 10 I got within 1 block of winning but somehow could never win, I suspected ever since it was rigged... a little sad to see I was right. Buttholes made off with a bunch of my quarters!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Switch setting from the operators manual ...

P10 - Skill Setting (Major Prize)
    1 = Easiest (Approx. 1 Win in 20 Games) 6 = Medium to Hard (Approx. 1 Win in 200 Games)
    2 = Very Easy (Approx. 1 Win in 30 Games) 7 = Hard (Approx. 1 Win in 300 Games)
    3 = Easy (Approx. 1 Win in 40 Games) 8 = Very Hard (Approx. 1 Win in 400 Games)
    4 = Easy to Medium (Approx. 1 Win in 50 Games) 9 = Very, Very Hard (Approx. 1 Win in 600 Games)
    5 = Medium (Approx. 1 Win in 100 Games) 10 = Hardest (Approx. 1 Win in 800 Games)

So yeah, it's rigged as all hell. See the manual for yourself.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well if it wasn't someone who was good at it could just drive around the country winning and selling xboxs and whatnot. All these machines are missing is a three-toothed carnie standing in front asking you to win something nice for your lady friend. You should know better.

redraptor on