As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Tomb Raider game? Survival Horror? Supposedly a new start.

CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
ad11yg.jpg
2q1fm7r.jpg
When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hiden of the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her deterination, inner streinght, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the chalnges of a harsh and unforgiving jorney that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevalil through brutal combat encounters and trecherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.

Hunt or be hunted: Evade outsmart, track and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey

Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend as you fight gto survive through visceral one on one mlee combat.

Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array ofdifferent mlee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunters ultimate weapon, the bow.

Creative Survival: React and adapto to teh island by using only that wich you can salvage from the enviroment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.

Free Movement: Scrale up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid air to land a misderected jump there is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh enviroment of the island.

One Cohesive World: The diverse multi region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather and natural events.

Origin Story: This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the orgins of Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as unravel the story behind the island's misterious past.

So yeah, the character hasn't been a juggernaut since...well 12 years or so ago but the games still sold fairly well, the revamp/reboot they went through a few years was suppose to give a new fresh start to the franchise but after the previous game only sold a million it was deemed a failure so here comes a new start again, but if all this stuff is true is it too much of a change or is it exactly what was needed. Kind of like how RE 4 helped to jumped start that franchise once more even if RE5 was half assed.

Cade on

• Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks interesting.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am not sure what I think. I mean I am not against fresh starts, but this seems a bit excessive.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The middle and left monster look like they were made by the guy who did the illustrations for "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". Now I'm going to have nightmares. Sounds neat though. People kind of expect bad controls in a horror game so maybe this will work in their favor. I can't wait to be running from a horrible monster, jump, and then not even reach for the ledge.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure how they fucked up the last one. All they had to do was take Legend and make more of that shit. I think I'm done with Tomb Raider as a franchise.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I maintain that the original TR was the first survival horror I played.

Tough tank controls mean you really get scared when a gorilla charges at you. Sometimes you have music to warn you, sometimes you don't, and it's really freaky to hear something moving around nearby but not knowing where it is. Zombie panthers, flesh centaurs, flesh golem, nightmarish demons and constructs...and the t-rex scene...

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I will admit that this is not what I expected from Lara's first venture as property of Square-Enix.

I guess it is set in Japan, though.

Monger on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure how they fucked up the last one. All they had to do was take Legend and make more of that shit. I think I'm done with Tomb Raider as a franchise.

After they were fired, some Crystal Dynamics ex-employees said a third of their game was mothballed so that it could be released later via downloadable content. CD was ham stringed by Eidos.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought they already tried a "fresh start" with one of the earlier games, when they switched developers.

If you have to do a reboot of a reboot, then give it the fuck up already and pull the plug.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    holy crap. hahaha. i think it's a rape to the genre, but I guess i can play this one too.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You know what the concept art reminds me of? Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Lara Croft will smolder with generic rage before you know it.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought they already tried a "fresh start" with one of the earlier games, when they switched developers.

If you have to do a reboot of a reboot, then give it the fuck up already and pull the plug.

They did and it was a fucking fantastic game.

The sequels didn't really sell well, though.

Anyways, I'm interested in this as I am all things Tomb Raider.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damn you Square-Enix!

In all seriousness, this looks like it could be very interesting a different. Personally, I enjoyed Underworld--while it wasn't as good as Legend, it was still very enjoyable. Plus, it felt like an actual Tomb Raider game, unlike Legend (at least for me).

Not too hopeful about the whole equestrian thing, but whatever. So long as its better than the motorcycle sections in Legend--I believe CD would have learned their lesson.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Isn't Lara Croft homeless since she lost her mansion at the start of Underworld?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Isn't Lara Croft homeless since she lost her mansion at the start of Underworld?

That's kind of the point of a reboot.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They should just put a fork in it, because it's done.

Give the TR franchise a rest, five or ten years. All that artwork (whilst looking very pretty) says to me is that it's been turned into generic horror game 2756.

With a long rest just like adventure games are starting to get new life in them as people reminisce about games of yore the TR series will likely get the same kind of attention. But not if they try this desperate re-imagining every other year.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

That's kind of the point of a reboot.

Couldn't she just, you know, move? Or rebuild, if she was still rich? Just a thought.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Give the TR franchise a rest, five or ten years. All that artwork (whilst looking very pretty) says to me is that it's been turned into generic horror game 2756.

With a long rest just like adventure games are starting to get new life in them as people reminisce about games of yore the TR series will likely get the same kind of attention. But not if they try this desperate re-imagining every other year.

As much as I love the series, I'm inclined to agree. It would be better if we didn't see another TR this gen. Probably year two of the next-gen systems would be ideal.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The franchise didn't need a change of scenery. There was nothing wrong with the tomb raiding in and of itself. There was no reason to add survival horror.

The franchise was underperforming because the games sucked. The fucking controls sucked. The climbing... it was horrible. I played TR Underworld for exactly one day before saying "fuck it" and going to play Prince of Persia. Now that is a game with great control and feel. Climbing and navigating the ruins in TR felt fucking awful. And the combat, my god the combat. Unlimited ammo for the dual pistols? Which absolutely require lockon and then can't shoot further then 12 feet? What is this? Were all previous TR games like this? It's inexplicable.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sooo.. Resident Evil becomes a popular third person action game, an now Tomb Raider is becoming a survival horror game?

This is a weird world we live in.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The franchise didn't need a change of scenery. There was nothing wrong with the tomb raiding in and of itself. There was no reason to add survival horror.

The franchise was underperforming because the games sucked. The fucking controls sucked. The climbing... it was horrible. I played TR Underworld for exactly one day before saying "fuck it" and going to play Prince of Persia. Now that is a game with great control and feel. Climbing and navigating the ruins in TR felt fucking awful. And the combat, my god the combat. Unlimited ammo for the dual pistols? Which absolutely require lockon and then can't shoot further then 12 feet? What is this? Were all previous TR games like this? It's inexplicable.

God, you can just see it now. Game comes out, the controls suck ass, and the PR department tries to bullshit spin it by saying that the game is survival horror, so the controls are supposed to be clumsy.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Worked for Resident Evil.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why does Lara look like Jamie Lee Curtis?

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

As much as I love the series, I'm inclined to agree. It would be better if we didn't see another TR this gen. Probably year two of the next-gen systems would be ideal.

Or just give it to Naughty Dog.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm guess I'm in the minority, but I like the character re-design and like the general direction they're going here. We'll see though, I haven't been impressed enough by coverage and media of a Tomb Raider game to the point where I've actually bought one since the original: they all look mediocre to okay, never phenomenal.

Darlan on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm intrigued by the concept, but that third monster design is really dumb-looking. Note that huge badass arm claws are never as intimidating as they might appear to be conceptually (see: Dead Space).

The other two are okay, but not exactly brimming with creativity. I find that monster designs in horror games have been really lacking as of late.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is this a Silent Hill/Tomb Raider crossover?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    I'm guess I'm in the minority, but I like the character re-design and like the general direction they're going here. We'll see though, I haven't been impressed enough by coverage and media of a Tomb Raider game to the point where I've actually bought one since the original: they all look mediocre to okay, never phenomenal.
    I like this in that I don't have any particular reason to dislike it. Yet.

Monger on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We know far too little to make any judgments on the final product, however I am all for taking franchises in new directions.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like how Lara looks for the first time ever.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Seconded. Also, yay for horror game enemies that actually look fucking freaky rather than just "pubescent Hollywood horror"-threatening.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Seconded. Also, yay for horror game enemies that actually look fucking freaky rather than just "pubescent Hollywood horror"-threatening.

While I too like her new design, I think the monster designs are fairly generic "scary" that has seemingly become all the rage lately. They even have the "Scary Japanese girl hair".

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    The middle and left monster look like they were made by the guy who did the illustrations for "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". Now I'm going to have nightmares.
    sc33bu8.jpg

BOO!

this at least looks more interesting than other recent tomb raider games, i guess i'll keep an eye on it. they can't really fuck up the series more than it has already been fucked up, so i say go for whatever bizarre angles you want at this point.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

God, you can just see it now. Game comes out, the controls suck ass, and the PR department tries to bullshit spin it by saying that the game is survival horror, so the controls are supposed to be clumsy.

I too am worried about controls....but I never had problems with Underworld's controls (then again, maybe it's because I'm just used to the old games?). At the same time, I got bored of the first new Prince of Persia because, well, it was too easy (cakewalk and I can turn back time? That's a one-afternoon game if there ever was one). I could have played through it in my sleep.

I just hope they don't return to Legend's degree of combat. Combat is not a strong point of TR games, and having you fight a couple platoons worth of Japanese mobsters or mercenaries or whatever they can come up with is not going to help. If it's just a handful of monsters, the better. Save heavy combat for something that does it well, like PoP.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Why does Lara look like Jamie Lee Curtis?

i think more like 'Rhona Mitra'... who apparently was a 'Lara croft' Model... so maybe they based it off her?

I haven't really played a Tomb raider game since 2... i liked the first one and the second was good, i guess i just lost interest in the series.

Sounds interesting so far hopefully it turns out to be more 'thriller' than 'horror' since the whole 'horror' genre generally bores me (in both movies and games...).

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Gilder wrote: »
    The middle and left monster look like they were made by the guy who did the illustrations for "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". Now I'm going to have nightmares.
    sc33bu8.jpg

BOO!

this at least looks more interesting than other recent tomb raider games, i guess i'll keep an eye on it. they can't really fuck up the series more than it has already been fucked up, so i say go for whatever bizarre angles you want at this point.

Huh, looks like a girl I once dated.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think it's a reboot, as it's coherent with the current Crystal Dynamics continuity. It think it's meant to be a tie-in with the reboot FILM, which is rebooting the film continuity to be coherent with the CD continuity AFAIK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365519/

Think that's it.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't think it's a reboot, as it's coherent with the current Crystal Dynamics continuity. It think it's meant to be a tie-in with the reboot FILM, which is rebooting the film continuity to be coherent with the CD continuity AFAIK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365519/

Think that's it.

On one hand, I hope you're correct, and it's a build up on the events of Legend and Underworld.

On the other hand, another Tomb Raider movie? God damn it, who keeps thinking these video games movies don't totally suck? Who? They need to be arrested and locked in a padded room.

Maybe it's the already-aborted project after the second film tanked.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On one hand, I hope you're correct, and it's a build up on the events of Legend and Underworld.

I don't think it's that, as underworld and the DLC fully polished off that particular story. But I think it's in the same general continuity.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I don't think it's that, as underworld and the DLC fully polished off that particular story. But I think it's in the same general continuity.

That's what I meant--bad wording on my part (with the exception of Amanda, the Legend-Underworld story seems pretty well wrapped up). Same continuity.
    Then again, Amanda is only "offed" by Lara in that rejected cinematic, and the Doppleganger is still running about, albeit free. It's interesting to speculate.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I really hope the doppelganger returns in a later game, as she was pretty amusing in some of the cutscenes. Plus she will probably like lara given that she's the one who set her free.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png