As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

drag and drop to 2nd gen ipod shuffle?

sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
is it possible to drag and drop mp3s to a 2nd gen ipod shuffle? is there some sort of hack that would let me do this? currently, if i put songs on the ipod using any method other than itunes, it just freaks out. thanks in advance!

Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
PM me if you add any of my codes
sushiboy on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    there are other apps that you can use, but you cannot just drag and drop mp3 files.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wh....why does iTunes freak you out?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    no, he was saying the iPod freaks out if he tries to drag and drop music to it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    iTunes is a resource hog, and some people just like dragging and dropping individual files :). I use itunes (as I have an iphone and no other choice) but I'd ditch it in an instant if I could just drag and drop things from explorer. It'd be considerably faster than assembling a playlist on itunes and then syncing it to the phone --if your goal is just to pick files and put them on an external device, explorer is MUCH faster than itunes is, after all.

It's been my experience that people who like itunes are (generally) ones who enjoy the library management functions of the program, at least on the windows side of things.

edit: well now I'm not sure who misinterpreted who. I interpreted maximumzero as asking 'why don't you just use itunes?'

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    iTunes is a resource hog, and some people just like dragging and dropping individual files :). I use itunes (as I have an iphone and no other choice) but I'd ditch it in an instant if I could just drag and drop things from explorer. It'd be considerably faster than assembling a playlist on itunes and then syncing it to the phone --if your goal is just to pick files and put them on an external device, explorer is MUCH faster than itunes is, after all.

It's been my experience that people who like itunes are (generally) ones who enjoy the library management functions of the program, at least on the windows side of things.

edit: well now I'm not sure who misinterpreted who. I interpreted maximumzero as asking 'why don't you just use itunes?'

I was asking what his specific problem with iTunes was, just out of curiosity. I realize that it can be a resource hog but it only needs to be running when you want to drop files onto said iPod.

Otherwise it's an excellent piece of software.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I was asking what his specific problem with iTunes was, just out of curiosity. I realize that it can be a resource hog but it only needs to be running when you want to drop files onto said iPod.

Really? Check your processes. Also requires .. Quicktime.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Visti wrote: »

Really? Check your processes. Also requires .. Quicktime.

I don't see Quicktime in my processes and I've already quit it from the system tray.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No, quicktime is not in your processes. It's just a horrible abomination.

What's in your proccesses or at least were in mine are about three to four things with the word ipod in them for detecting when a device was connected, I imagine.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Drag and drop is way better in every way. I wish there was rockbox for everything.\

edit: and yes, there are extra processes. They're just software updaters and stuff but I always disabled them. (edited again because wtf make no sense)

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    kpeezy wrote: »
    Drag and drop is way better in every way. I wish there was rockbox for everything.

I wanna lime this so hard it becomes a mojito.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's about 3 processes I see that are using about a total of 32MB of RAM and 0 CPU.

If you can't handle something using 32MB of ram please join us in the 21st century.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    kpeezy wrote: »
    Drag and drop is way better in every way. I wish there was rockbox for everything.

I wanna lime this so hard it becomes a mojito.

I love everything about this quote tree.

edit: maximumzero, I think it's just that to a lot of people it's way quicker to drag and drop a file than to go into itunes and go through the requisite steps (in itunes) to move that one file over to the ipod/iphone. I'm sure it's good enough software, but to people who don't use it as their media player it usually seems kind of obnoxious. It's like... you use it because you have to, but you start it up and it's all "HI THERE I'M ITUNES, I WOULD LIKE TO BE YOUR MEDIA PLAYER! WHY DON'T WE INDEX YOUR LIBRARY!'

I mean if there was a box, in itunes, that I could just drag a file to and that file would appear on my iphone, I would like iTunes a lot more. Though it'd still be one more step as compared to just dragging and dropping in explorer :).

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's about 3 processes I see that are using about a total of 32MB of RAM and 0 CPU.

If you can't handle something using 32MB of ram please join us in the 21st century.

Thing is, I don't want shit using anything when I'm not using it. I don't care what it does, when I can use any other program and not have those megs used. It's a principle thing. Add to that the fact that you're pretty much forced to use this for no other reason than to also push the software and pretty much everything Ego just listed.

I mean, there's really no reason arguing, we won't ever agree. I just wanna throw out there that if anybody stumbles across this thread and is unhappy with this stuff, there's people like you. If you're lucky, your device is supported by rockbox and yay, everything will be sweet.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I do agree that itunes is a bloated piece of software and that Apple *really* needs to do something about it. But, like, 12MB for the iPod service running in windows, that I couldn't care less about. I have 6 fucking gigabytes of ram. 12MB doesn't even fucking register on the scale.

I could give 2 shits about how much ram an app uses, as long as it uses it well, and it not slow. Unfortuanately, itunes does not use it well.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can sort of fake drag on drop on the shuffle if you have python installed. (It comes by default on most, if not all Linux distros and OSX. There is version available for Windows too.) I can drag and drop mp3s to /iPod_Control/Music and run this python script (which is stored on the root of my iPod shuffle), which automatically creates the database.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png