As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Retro TV] When I'm At The Checkout Counter and I Hear the Beep

SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
...I think of all the fun I had watching
10850.jpg

Seriously though, what the hell happened to TV? Everything I loved is now gone and dead, and these new shows are trampling on their grave. I don't even have cable anymore, there's no shows worth "keeping up with" that I can't see online. (I'm talking legally online, like Hulu).

- Nickelodeon is trying to be MTV
- MTV is trying to be Fox
- Fox is....well Fox is still Fox
- TLC has NOTHING to do with Learning anymore, thanks Paige Davis and the god damn Octouplets
- Cartoon Network's only saving grace is Adult Swim
- Spike and FX are hit or miss
- G4 is like a pitiful kid trying way too hard to hang out with the 'gamers' crowd
- History Channel is picking up the slack that Discovery Channel is leaving (Don't leave me Discovery)
- Comedy Central has been severely lacking in the comedy department
- Food Network is evolving, some say good (Food Network Challenge) some say bad (Iron Chef America)
- TBS is not "Very Funny" (no I don't like The Office, sue me)
- TNT needs another CSI or Law and Order, really there aren't anywhere near enough
- USA...yeah can't say I count down the days until the newest Monk episode

I really think that it all comes down to this:

"Survivor" killed Television

[x] Bolt Bus
[x] Radisson Hotel Boston
[x] Pre-Pax Dinner
[x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

SoCo_and_Lime on

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm guessing your not in Cartoon Network's target demo anymore if the only thing you like is the Adult Swim programming.

Comedy Central still airs a lot of "comedy" programming. Whether you find it funny or not is subjective however. It's not like they're showing Terminator or The Godfather. CC is one of the few channels with the least demo creep.

USA has quite a bit of original programming as well. If you're not enjoying it, that's fine, but what's your point here?

Is this a big ole' "Get off my lawn!"?

Bolthorn on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It goes in stages. There's always a progression. Ten years ago, people were complaining that TV wasn't like how it was twenty years ago. Twenty years ago, it wasn't how it was thirty years ago. That was appeal of shows like Happy Days or That '70s Show (at least in the first season, when they were still in the '70s and not just some generic time period).

It didn't start with Survivor. It started with the Real World. A lot of it has do to with the gradual homogenization of TV. This stems from the bigger reason, which is syndication. Creating new, original programming is expensive. It's much cheaper for most stations to simply buy shows from other networks. It's also better for the shows themselves. TV shows don't make money on their first go round. They make most of their money from syndication. And syndication becomes very important with the advent of digital cable and satellite TV where you have hundreds of channels and only so much programming to go around.

I remember when MTV launched. I remember when Spike was still TNN. I remember when VH1 was trying to fill MTV's shoes after they became the Real World network, then slowly degraded into the Celebreality network. I remember when CBS was called the geriatric network before Survivor pretty much saved them. I remember when the Fox Network actually started (and it's actually one of the few that hasn't changed much over the years).

Dalboz on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wasn't in the Cartoon Network "target demo" when it first got released, but they still showed great cartoons. And only cartoons. Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, all the old Warner Brothers stuff. Now they're "CN" and they have live-action programming. Bugs Bunny was unceremoniously dumped from the lineup over to Boomerang, then disappeared there too.

I wish I could find the article about how as brands start to creep in different directions they switch their actual name, i.e. "The Learning Channel" into an acronym or abbreviation that means nothing, i.e. "TLC". Same for Sci-Fi turning into "Syfy".

Food network is getting awful. It use to be about cooking, about trained chefs who knew what they were doing. Now we get Rachel Ray and I just want to stab the television. If I wanted to watch a Jersey Shore girl fuck around with food, I'd go to the damn Jersey shore. The only things left that are worthwhile are anything that Alton Brown touches, and the occasional episode of Unwrapped. Guy Fieri can die in a fucking fire.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you don't have cable, how do you know what they're showing?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And let's not forget this:

TechTV: Hi, we're a small channel with a loyal following that respects our viewers and is growing larger while adding new programming that people like. You may remember us as ZDnet when we first started.

G4: EXTREME!!!!

TechTV: Our hosts are well liked, our shows are informative, we even do call-in live help.

G4: TITTIES AND ASS EXPLOSIONS VIDEO GAMERS

TechTV: Video games are pretty fun yeah, but we're more well rounded, encompassing the entire electronic industry really.

G4: GRAAAHHHHH CARS AND RAPPERS oh shit we're running out of money, everyone likes TechTV

TechTV: Hum hum hum.... humhumhum... Leo Laporte is a personable fellow!

G4: HEY TECHTV..... EXTREEEEEMMMMEEEEEE.... MONNNNEEEEYYYYY!

TechTV owners: shit guys that's a lot of money and being rich is nice...

G4TechTV: BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED I AM..... WORSE THAN THE SUM OF MY PARTS!

G4: Now lets get rid of that little TechTV logo.... and all of its programming... and buy 10 year old episodes of Cheaters and Cops to play in 4 hour blocks... wait almost forgot... EXTREME!!!!!!!

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

EH! Flapjack! And Chowder! And Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends!

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    30 Rock
    House
    The Office

... Yeah you're right. Have you tried out other shows? Lots of good HBO TV out there, or at least that's what I've heard. I don't have HBO.

urahonky on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    More people need to watch Always Sunny.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thank goodness for Discovery HD. Between that and National Geographic, there's always something to watch.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

TechTV: Hi, we're a small channel with a loyal following that respects our viewers and is growing larger while adding new programming that people like. You may remember us as ZDnet when we first started.

TechTV: Our hosts are well liked, our shows are informative, we even do call-in live help.

TechTV: Video games are pretty fun yeah, but we're more well rounded, encompassing the entire electronic industry really.

G4: GRAAAHHHHH CARS AND RAPPERS oh shit we're running out of money, everyone likes TechTV

G4: Now lets get rid of that little TechTV logo.... and all of its programming... and buy 10 year old episodes of Cheaters and Cops to play in 4 hour blocks... wait almost forgot... EXTREME!!!!!!!

Now I'm far from a G4 defender, and I never got TechTV until they merged with G4, and I really liked Unscrewed with Martin Sargeant and Call for Help, but G4 didn't get all "RARGH BOOBIES!" until after they merged. I mean, they were all about video games, but they weren't this douchey Spike TV Jr. that they seem to be now. Yeah, they only had like 5 shows with 4 episodes of each which were in constant rotation, but Icons was really interesting, and G4TV.com was almost an interesting call-in show... Basically what I'm saying is I miss Cinematech.

Skittlebrau on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

EH! Flapjack! And Chowder! And Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends!

One of which is gone, and another on the way out.
    Don't know about Flapjack.

Funny, I was just reading the Tropes articles on Executive Meddling and Screwed by the Network and then this thread pops up.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TV is exactly the same. Gems of awesome shoved into piles of crap.

Take off the rose-covered glasses OP, you either aren't looking hard enough or are remembering things WAY to fondly.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    30 Rock
    House
    The Office

... Yeah you're right. Have you tried out other shows? Lots of good HBO TV out there, or at least that's what I've heard. I don't have HBO.

Like I stated before, I don't like the office. I know a lot of people do, most of my family as well. Also, have only caught some of 30 Rock, haven't really given it a good chance I suppose but I wasn't initially drawn right in.

I love House but that's just Fox hitting their 1 out of every 10. Fox really hasn't changed their approach of throw out everything and see what sticks which I'm starting to appreciate more now that everyone is just playing it safe with low budget "Reality" TV that doesn't cost them a dime if it doesn't catch on.

I love HBO but it's not really "cable" since it's always extra. I don't think one of their shows in the past decade has been a miss. (Oz, Taxi Cab Confessions, Sopranos)
    G4 and Food Network

It's not even the blatant abuse of T+A that bothers me. It's the dull script reading and poorly researched reviews and previews. Everytime I turn it on it's like my mother trying to talk to me about games. "Hey so how about that Halo game? Seems to be pretty popular huh?" Its like watching the female sideline reporters at football games; you know, and they know you know, that they have no idea who or what the fuck they're talking about.

It's not even like they're trying to ease new comers into the gaming world, they're just reading reviews straight off the god damn box and pretending any of them actually have played these games.

Also I'm right with you about Food Network. Alton Brown is my hero. Giada (sp?) has great tits and Ace Of Cakes is like the Miami Ink of food. Bobby Flay can DIAF.
    If you don't have cable, how do you know what they're showing?

I don't have cable but I'm not Amish.
    Bolthorn wrote:
    I'm guessing your not in Cartoon Network's target demo anymore if the only thing you like is the Adult Swim programming.

I'm with Matthasaproblem on this one. Old school Looney Tunes, Dexter's Lab, etc were great. I wasn't their target demo then and I'm still not I suppose, but in my admittedly short visits to Cartoon Network I haven't seen much of interest. I've always felt that complete computerization of cartoons has left a lot of work out, which has left a lot of time on the cartoon out. I also loved Recess and others but I suppose CN doesn't have the rights to those.
    OptimusZed wrote:
    Sunny

Love Sunny. It's done in the same style as the Office, which probably means that I'm just not into the whole 9-5 humor, unless it's completely off the wall. (Dilbert, Office Space)

Oh yeah forgot SyFi or whatever the hell they want to call themselves now. How in the hell do you make a channel, with seemingly endless material to rerun. and when I turn it on I have a 50% chance of seeing Stargate every fucking time? Between TV shows, cartoons and movies they should be such a great source of quality TV. Even if they want to throw in original programming that's cool too. That has to be the most poorly managed channel. Either they can't get the rights to ANYTHING or they have no idea what they're doing.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• FerrousFerrous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ohhh TLC I remember when you before you turned in the Trading Spaces Channel. God how I hate Trading Spaces so much.

For me what pisses me off more is when good shows get cancelled. Looking at you Pushing Daisies, Firefly, Arrested Development and Futurama (at least it came back woo). Unfortunately I have come to the sad conclusion that the vast majority of people don't like well written, well acted, well scripted TV and instead enjoy fake dramatic crap (see all of reality TV). The really sad part in all of this is that Reality TV is win win for networks, I am betting its costs pennies to make and is popular.

Hmm that came off as more bitter than I had hoped.

Ferrous on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ferrous wrote: »
    Ohhh TLC I remember when you before you turned in the Trading Spaces Channel. God how I hate Trading Spaces so much.

For me what pisses me off more is when good shows get cancelled. Looking at you Pushing Daisies, Firefly, Arrested Development and Futurama (at least it came back woo). Unfortunately I have come to the sad conclusion that the vast majority of people don't like well written, well acted, well scripted TV and instead enjoy fake dramatic crap (see all of reality TV). The really sad part in all of this is that Reality TV is win win for networks, I am betting its costs pennies to make and is popular.

Hmm that came off as more bitter than I had hoped.
    I'm convinced that tv execs have access to my internet/cable box and actively cancel everything I watch.

The only things that are still on that I was watching a year ago are Always Sunny, TDS/Colbert and Eureka. I guess Futurama's back, if that counts.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Food network is getting awful. It use to be about cooking, about trained chefs who knew what they were doing. Guy Fieri can die in a fucking fire.

Not to seize on a specific detail, but how can you say that you miss the emphasis on trained chefs and then insult Guy Fieri? He's a trained chef and an absurdly successful restaurateur. Not to mention folks like Mike Simon, Anne Burrell, and Giada (actually a really high-end caterer). The network, Rachel Ray/Ray-Clones aside, still has a lot of good stuff.

Wifflebat on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I admittedly don't watch it often, but you can't knock USA's original programming

Monk
    Psych
    Burn Notice

quite a tasty threesome imo

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    TV is exactly the same. Gems of awesome shoved into piles of crap.

Take off the rose-covered glasses OP, you either aren't looking hard enough or are remembering things WAY to fondly.

Yeah pretty much this.

This is why I don't have cable TV or satellite or anything of the sort. There have been too many times when I've been at a friend's or relative's house on a Sunday afternoon and been able to find absolutely nothing decent to watch. I like On-Demand cable quite a lot, but I get pretty much all the On-Demand stuff I need with a Netflix account and my XBox at a fraction of the price, with the side benefit of TV shows on DVD.

Because, really, TV on DVD is where it's at.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    I admittedly don't watch it often, but you can't knock USA's original programming

Monk
    Psych
    Burn Notice

quite a tasty threesome imo

Glad someone pointed out Burn Notice. Best show on TV.

Also, TNT has Leverage, and Dark Blue which seemed promising in it's first episode last night.

I'm not a big fan of Discovery lately, but I still enjoy Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Time Warp (and Pitchmen... don't tell anyone). Most of the time I'm watching History, though... since at any given time there's a good episode of Modern Marvels, a universe/geologic history documentary, or some good WWII history going on.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Eh, I don't think there's anything wrong with Iron Chef America. Both the original Japanese show and the American version are intentionally corny. It's like pro wrestling, but with cooking. And features a gay cook without making a deal about it.

The shows I don't like on Food Network are the woman that just buys shit from the store and dumps it out on the plate (it's interesting, but should be a mini-show during commercials, not an entire half hour) and their relentless humping of the corpse that is Rachel Ray. The only fun thing about 40$ a Day is taking bets on how soon Rachel gets drunk in an episode. Also they redeemed themselves by rehiring Robert Irvine for Dinner: Impossible.

FyreWulff on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    damn, I thought this was gonna be about classic TV like I Love Lucy or The Munsters.

I already know about the death and zombiefication of TV.

tallgeeze on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Now I'm far from a G4 defender, and I never got TechTV until they merged with G4, and I really liked Unscrewed with Martin Sargeant and Call for Help, but G4 didn't get all "RARGH BOOBIES!" until after they merged. I mean, they were all about video games, but they weren't this douchey Spike TV Jr. that they seem to be now. Yeah, they only had like 5 shows with 4 episodes of each which were in constant rotation, but Icons was really interesting, and G4TV.com was almost an interesting call-in show... Basically what I'm saying is I miss Cinematech.

Yeah, Cinematech was kind of fun, but it's death was certain with the explosion of Youtube and Flash video. Then it didn't serve much of a purpose.

I liked shows like X-Play about five years ago when it was still snarky. In fact, most of the shows on G4 were still snarky around that time. It's actually been toned down a lot to where the channel is nothing but a bland mishmash of crap.

Dalboz on