As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

laptop is being wierd about networking

NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
As some of you may recall, we've recently moved to the middle of nowhere (outside of Suffolk, VA), with no cable or DSL available. We are currently limited to my husband's laptop with the Verizon Mobile Broadband for internet.

This laptop, however, is wierd. If I connect it to my wireless router so I can use the printer, it starts trying to access the internet through that network and when it fails, doesn't go on to try the mobile broadband connection. So basically, I can be connected to the internet OR the home network, but not both at the same time. This is somewhat inconvenient when I'm trying to look up directions to places, as it takes like 4 steps just to get the maps printed.

I was hoping to set up Internet Connection Sharing so we could have the rest of the computers use this connection until we get something permanant set up, but that is obviously not going to work if connecting it to the home network shuts off the internet connection.

Any ideas as to how to make this work?

(Oh, it's XP Pro, and I haven't yet tried running a pysical cable from the laptop to the router, only a wireless connection, if that makes a difference)

Nerissa on

• Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You may want to look into Verizon's MiFi... It's a mobile hotspot that uses their cellular network as an internet connection. It does basically what you're looking for, except that it'd require you to get a different broadband adapter.

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, that's what we're planning on doing eventually... but right now we can't afford to buy the receiver for at least another couple of weeks, and I was hoping to use the laptop in the interim, as my boss would kinda like me to be able to be available for work sooner rather than later, and I can't install the VPN software and stuff on my husband's laptop, which he uses for work (although with the hours I had been getting even before we moved, my paycheck won't much more than pay the internet bill, so their needs aren't a high priority right now)

Also, having to jump through hoops to print a web page is annoying as hell. :(

Nerissa on