As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new MechWarrior Online thread

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's also this.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gauss Rifle to the head.

DONE

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know what books to recommend specifically, but the Catalyst Game Labs Battletech site isn't a bad place to start. They have a quick start guide that will show you the absolute basics. Most of the rest you can get by playing a game or two, and reading the "info" on the rules from the game options menu.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The introductory boxed set is where you should start, if you're starting from scratch.

Then there are a series of rulebooks for the "serious business" crowd:

Total Warfare is the basic, comprehensive set of rules- mechs, vehicles, infantry, aircraft, everything. This is the classic Battletech combat rules, updated, expanded, revised, compiled. If you're moving up from the introductory boxed set, this is the book.

Tech Manual is the big book o' stuff and building stuff.

Tactical Operations is all kinds of advanced and special rules expanding on the Total Warfare framework; this is NOT the main rules; that is Total Warfare. This is the big-time main rules expansion for people who look at a table of contents and see a section called "Advanced Buildings" and says, "You know, I definitely want special rules for buildings with chemical or liquid fuel storage tanks."

Strategic Operations is going to cover large-scale combat a la the old Battleforce (as in, Battleforce is inside the book) and Battlespace games, with a particular emphasis on big in-system space fighting. If you want to have a fight between two companies of mechs that doesn't take you sixty-eight hours to do on the regular map, this is the book, or if you want to have big space-ships duking it out, this is the book.

(upcoming) Interstellar Operations is for invading entire solar systems or multiple systems; it's the "big level" book.

(upcoming) RPG book- I think it is called "A Time of War" covers individuals as RPG characters. So if you've ever looked at the Battletech universe and thought, "You know, instead of driving that giant robot, I'd like to be a journalist who interviews the drivers of those giant robots" this is the book for you.

Basically, Total Warfare+Tactical Operations is about the individual unit level, and then Strategic and Interstellar Operations or A Time of War lets you zoom in and out as desired.

You only need the introductory boxed set to have giant robots shooting each other (it's actually a really sweet deal- it has maps, 24 plastic miniatures). If you want the combined arms stuff, you'll need Total Warfare. If you want the combined arms stuff and the really crazy stuff like fighting on top of an exploding volcano, you'll need Tactical Operations. If you want to design your own mechs, you'll want the Tech Manual. If you want to conduct a large-scale campaign (or just have a lot of mechs fighting each other without it taking an endless amount of time), you'll want Strategic Operations. If you want to conquer planets and pretend you're Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, you'll want Interstellar Operations. If you want to get really in-depth about how much your mechwarrior angsts over having to step on people with his giant robot, you'll want A Time of War.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, Phobos, that is incredibly helpful, thank you.

Are there rules for experienced pilots and levelling them up or something outside of the MechWarrior RPG (which I'm not hugely familiar with, either?)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Okay, Phobos, that is incredibly helpful, thank you.

Are there rules for experienced pilots and levelling them up or something outside of the MechWarrior RPG (which I'm not hugely familiar with, either?)

Really basic rules for that are in Total Warfare. Total Warfare is absurdly comprehensive; it puts together rules that used to be scattered across several Battletech books and it fixes a lot of issues the older editions had. Infantry, for example, are murderously deadly now in the right circumstances- but machine guns and flamers are more deadly against them than they used to be, so now infantry are worth using and anti-infantry weapons are worth taking.

If you feel you've mastered the game presented in the introductory boxed set (which is quite a game in and of itself; we're in hardcore wargame territory here) then Total Warfare is the way to go. It's really the best rulebook Battletech has ever had. It's got everything, too, so you can skip the introductory set if you want to go straight to the "switch everything on" rules. The intro-set is really a great deal though since it has miniatures and maps and stuff.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Infantry, for example, are murderously deadly now in the right circumstances- but machine guns and flamers are more deadly against them than they used to be, so now infantry are worth using and anti-infantry weapons are worth taking.

Out of curiosity, is that due to the use of Battle Armor/Power Armor, or just regular guys with a few guns, satchel charges and shoulder mounted SRMs, Gray Death Style?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Infantry, for example, are murderously deadly now in the right circumstances- but machine guns and flamers are more deadly against them than they used to be, so now infantry are worth using and anti-infantry weapons are worth taking.

Out of curiosity, is that due to the use of Battle Armor/Power Armor, or just regular guys with a few guns, satchel charges and shoulder mounted SRMs, Gray Death Style?

Battle Armor is pretty spiffy AFAIK, but yeah, I was referring to regular infantry. In the right terrain, an unsupported/unprepared mech will just get absolutely murdered by infantry who know what they are doing and have the morale to face the giant walking death robot. And not just because of dudes with grappling hooks and satchel charges, though that can take you down pretty quick as well. Though a mech with anti-infantry weapons and a willingness to violate the Ares Conventions can deal with it pretty easily.

The Total Warfare rules ultimately really support a combined arms approach over an "all mechs, all the time" paradigm. Mechs are still the kings of combat, but mechs+support will beat just mechs most of the time.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Strategic Operations, in addition to the planetary-scale battleforce rules, it also has rules detailing linking missions together in a campaign, as it has the rules for repair and refitting, as well as other stuff like planetary assaults and whatnot.

Intersteller operations is going to have rules meant for long campaigns, and will apparently have an updated version of the Field Manual: Mercenaries rules.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, Mechwarrior 4 runs under W7, right?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Strategic Operations, in addition to the planetary-scale battleforce rules, it also has rules detailing linking missions together in a campaign, as it has the rules for repair and refitting, as well as other stuff like planetary assaults and whatnot.

Intersteller operations is going to have rules meant for long campaigns, and will apparently have an updated version of the Field Manual: Mercenaries rules.

Ooh. I did not know that.

Man, I should get back into Battletech someday, when I have money.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Though a mech with anti-infantry weapons and a willingness to violate the Ares Conventions can deal with it pretty easily.

Wait, what? Since when is it against the Rule of Engagement for 'mechs to use anti-infantry weapons on infantry?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    So, Mechwarrior 4 runs under W7, right?

I tried to find out in the last thread but never got a response. If anyone has tried it on Windows 7 speak up. Or if anyone has tried it on Vista 64 either.

washout on
  • Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have it installed in both vista x64 and w7 x64, works fine for me.

kralizecc on
    In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Though a mech with anti-infantry weapons and a willingness to violate the Ares Conventions can deal with it pretty easily.

Wait, what? Since when is it against the Rule of Engagement for 'mechs to use anti-infantry weapons on infantry?

It's not, but you're not supposed to be shooting up cities- and it's in urban environments where infantry are super-duper deadly for mechs.

Using a flamer to burn down a city block to kill a platoon is what I was referring to.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Watching that trailer reminded me of the first time I booted up Steel Battalion. Then I went on eBay and bought component cables for my old Xbox. Steel Battalion this weekend.

I will probably hold out for a demo of MechWarrior 5 here, but I'm definitely leaning towards buying it absent a demo.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's not, but you're not supposed to be shooting up cities- and it's in urban environments where infantry are super-duper deadly for mechs.

Using a flamer to burn down a city block to kill a platoon is what I was referring to.

No one cares about that part anyway. City fighting is incredibly common.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure that if your enemy refuses to come out of a city you're allowed (or excused afterward) to go in after him.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    To the guys who has trouble with the mekpaks on Vista, go to %appdata%, and make local/temp not-readonly. It may help make it work

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

True, true, but if you're working in A Time of War, guilt over setting a bunch of orphanages on fire is practically a requirement.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

True, true, but if you're working in A Time of War, guilt over setting a bunch of orphanages on fire is practically a requirement.

To be fair, the orpans were dicks.

Morkath on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I installed MekTek 3 and playing MW4:Merc... however on the main menu on the sides it says "Reinforcements not available". I'm assuming this means the other two MekTek paks?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    So, I installed MekTek 3 and playing MW4:Merc... however on the main menu on the sides it says "Reinforcements not available". I'm assuming this means the other two MekTek paks?

those are for the official mekpacks.

mektek3 includes mektek 1+2 as well.

Morkath on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MisterGrok wrote: »
    Watching that trailer reminded me of the first time I booted up Steel Battalion. Then I went on eBay and bought component cables for my old Xbox. Steel Battalion this weekend.

I will probably hold out for a demo of MechWarrior 5 here, but I'm definitely leaning towards buying it absent a demo.

Nothing wrong with being cautious.

I'm stuck sans joystick, so the only MW I'm playing are the MW2 games, until I resolve this. Damn it all...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm stuck sans joystick, so the only MW I'm playing are the MW2 games, until I resolve this. Damn it all...

mw4 works just fine with kb+m...

Morkath on
  • Options
    GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kralizecc wrote: »
    I have it installed in both vista x64 and w7 x64, works fine for me.

That's two for W7 x64. I finished the game a couple of nights ago with both MP 3.02b and the HD pack installed.

And I'd forgotten how fun the game was, although I think it's too bad it all led up to a mish-mash of assault mechs hammering away at each other towards the end.

Now if I could only get MW3 to behave... D:

Glocjt on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

yes it does...
    Already dominated my first planet and all the Light Mech matches with kb+m

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Why does it work for you x64 W7ers? It doesn't patch at all for my 32-bit Windows 7, complaining about the temp directory in my home directory being read only, which is a very annoying error

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I beat an Atlas with a cougar, one on one. Am I cool yet?

<3 light mech play, it's like a totally different mechwarrior.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »

yes it does...
    Already dominated my first planet and all the Light Mech matches with kb+m

I'm already accustomed to joysticks. In fact, I even tried to get myself to use a joystick for MW2, until I realized the game didn't really like trying to fire different weapons groups with different buttons, as in MW4.

Still, maybe I should migrate to keyboard/mouse...especially since even if I get a new joystick, it's not going to have force feedback.... D: Saving 'decent joystick money' for Logitech's promised new HOTAS featuring FF, presuming it's as good as people are hyping it to be.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i've been playing with a controller pad but my controller is kind of old and beat up

what this means is that my mech is always moving at about 10 mph, since i can't seem to calibrate that whatever you call it to recognize 'in the center' as 'not slightly up'

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why does it work for you x64 W7ers? It doesn't patch at all for my 32-bit Windows 7, complaining about the temp directory in my home directory being read only, which is a very annoying error
    You almost certainly need to give it admin permissions.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Don't be silly, "awesome-factor" apart, MW4 (any of them) is perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard.
    I actually find it easier to aim with mouse, to be honest.

EDIT: Yeah, don't get "hanged" on a single input method, that's uncool ;)

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I did, in 12 different ways, still won't work

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Don't be silly, "awesome-factor" apart, MW4 (any of them) is perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard.

Yeah, yeah, you kids and your obsession with 'cool'.

I may have to resort to that. Personally, I had no problem aiming with the joystick (then again, MW4 did not come with the ability to do 'remote aiming' with mouse, like MW3 did).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Or turn off UAC, which you should have already done.

KiTA on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, yeah, you kids and your obsession with 'cool'.

I may have to resort to that. Personally, I had no problem aiming with the joystick (then again, MW4 did not come with the ability to do 'remote aiming' with mouse, like MW3 did).

Who's a kid? I was playing the MW2 Demo off a magazine's CD-ROM on my 486DX2, buddy!!! :)
    I'm a big joystick enthusiast, but to my surprise and chagrin, MW2, 3 and 4 play really well on M+KB. Unlike, say, Wing Commander games, or Freespace 2, which are all "playable" with M+KB but are really harder with that interface.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    KiTA wrote: »

Or turn off UAC, which you should have already done.

edit- Now that I complain about it not working, it does

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Wow, this fluff goes waaaaay back for me; when the first House Sourcebooks (best supplements ever made for a game) came out.

I think the Area convention outlaws the deliberate and spiteful destruction of cities for non-military purposes and the use of WMDs altogether.

Like the real Geneva convention, you don't shoot up hospitals, ambulances, and places of worship, but if the other side uses them as ammo dumps/transports and bunkers, they loose their protection since they're no longer neutral constructs, but taking part in combat.

So you can't level a city for the fuck of it, but, if a few infantry platoons decide to hunker down in a city and shoot at you, game on.

And noone really "enforces" the Ares convention; more of an understood, with the implication being that what comes around, goes around if you start being a dick; you shoot out prisoners, you'll find yours in a ditch next week.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ares Conventions:
    Created as result of heavy loss of civilian life during a battle on Tintavel between the Free Worlds League and the Capellan Confederation. Compliance was almost universal, and drastically cut down on the human and economic costs of waging war. Unfortunately, it also promoted war as a means of solving even the slightest of disputes.

Ares Convention

We, the undersigned, on this 13th day of June, 2412, in accordance with our commitment to preserving human life, do solemnly pledge to prevent the loss of civilian life in war. Let this document testify to our desire to end the senseless atrocities attendant upon human conflict and our pledge to uphold the ideals contained with these Convention or suffer the harshest consequences.

Article I -- Nuclear Arms

The use of any nuclear device or variant thereof on a planetary surface or against any commercial vessel is prohibited. This prohibition extends to tactical nuclear blasts against the aforementioned targets. Controlled nuclear attacks in space against military targets are prohibited unless they occur at a minimum of 75,000 kilometers from the surface of any inhabited world in a star system.

Article II -- Orbital Bombardment

The use of orbital assets to bombard stationary targets (as defined in Appendix B, Section 4) on a planetary surface with the single exception of a valid military objective whose destruction the attacker deems necessary to ensure the survival of his own troops, is prohibited. In no case may any orbital attack take place in or near any heavily populated area, and any orbital attack is subject to ex post facto review by a duly appointed council from the signatory states.

Article III -- Surrender

To lessen the human cost of warfare, all combatants must accept the surrender of any unit that offers it. A white flag adorned with a red S will represent the universal surrender standard, so that any unit unable to communicate by conventional means may still surrender fairly. The universal surrender guidelines in Appendix E outline the provisions for the treatment of prisoners and fair compensation for the capturing forces upon the release of war prisoners to their native realms.

Article IV -- Safe Passage

The governments and military commands of the undersigned agree to recognize the aforementioned white flag as a symbol of truce. Any vessel, or vehicle, or person bearing such a truce flag shall be granted safe passage through any place, insofar as the bearer breaks no laws pertaining to that place, or initiates no hostile activity of any kind. Should the bearer of a truce flag engage in hostile activity as defined in Appendix F, the truce flag shall be deemed invalid, and any action taken against such an individual or individuals becomes the responsibility of those suffering said hostile action. Harassment of a truce flag bearer without provocation will be investigated by a duly appointed board of inquiry from the signatory states.

Article V --Urban Warfare Restrictions

No battle shall be waged in an urban area except under extreme circumstances. If the military objective of an assault lies in a city center, attacking troops must ensure that any hostile action taken causes the least possible amount of collateral damage. No attack may be made against any civilian target, for any reason. Civilian targets shall be deemed to include such life-supporting equipment such as water and air purifiers, agricultural assets, or any other item that enables a planet's population to continue their existence.

Article VI -- Chemical and Biological Weapons

Because chemical and biological agents kill human life indiscriminately and often permanently damage the biosphere of any world suffering such as attack, the use, further development, and production of such agents is strictly prohibited.

2412: Ares Conventions adopted, Ares Conventions signed
    2579: Ian Cameron renounces tenets of Ares Conventions

WMD's used during:
    *Reunification War ~2575-2595
    *Amaris Coup and Liberation (late 2700s)
    *First Succession War (2787-2820s)
    *SLDF exiles that would become the Clans used WMDs during the Exodus Civil War
    *Second Succession War (2820s-2860s)
    Which means that between the signing of the Conventions (2412) and 3050, every major faction ignored the Conventions' stipulations on banning WMDs from within 75000km of a habitable planet's surface. When the Second Succession War stumbled to a halt around 2867, the Conventions were dead.

It's false that the Conventions were obeyed to any degree after the Reunification War (2575). What barred the use of nukes in later Wars were not the Ares Conventions, but rather the horrors of the First and Second Succession Wars, which resulted in "rules of war" that had a vague resemblance to the Conventions - but only vague.

After all, in the Third and Fourth Succession Wars, House armies thought nothing of fighting in cities, slaughtering civilians, ignoring the "time outs" mandated in the Conventions, and otherwise pulling few punches on a conventional battlefield. Had the Ares Conventions been respected, the 4th Succession War would not have killed 100 million civilians in about 3 years. The battles would've taken place is nice, quiet fields far away from cities and civilians.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
This discussion has been closed.