As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for some new table top games

SilverFalconSilverFalcon Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Critical Failures
I have been looking around at various stores and the internet and trying to find some new board games to play with my friends. I really enjoy Mwahahaha, Monsters Menace America, Marvel Heroes, and a couple of other board games, does anyone have any good suggestions about some good fun boardgames to pick up?

SilverFalcon on

• Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, there's a bunch of talk of boardgames in the boardgame thread. Personally, I always enjoy Small World, The Red Dragon Inn, and Carcassone for light boardgaming.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Play D&D.

It kicks many asses.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait.

Does he mean 'table top' as in just board games, or the catch-all use of 'table top' for all board, war, and roleplaying games?
    Personally I never heard tabletop used for RPGs until just a few years ago online, but maybe that's me.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    D&D is close enough to me, it's always played around a table.

New D&D relies heavily on a grid map anyway as well.

Okay okay, try Axis and Allies, it is a classic.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HEY!

Do you wanna feel SO AWESOME?
    PLAY EXALTED.

Awesome game for players who need GRATUITOUS AMOUNT OF AWESOME.

Fill up a character sheet and be a SOLAR. Solar Hero Style, you'll punch people so far they'll be asking for directions TO FAIR FOLK.

ANOTHER WYLD HUNT! Because you have just WASTED THE LAST ONE.

What’s that? You want RAGE? Well how about LUNARS? They kill people. WITH THEIR BEAR HANDS. Combat (aaahhhhhh!). They're good at it. Get Relentless Lunar Fury, and you'll be unstoppable. UNBEARABLE. These aren’t your mentor’s puns, these are essence puns. MOTONIC PUNS.

Magitech, Genesis, Fire, Air, Wood, Earth, Water, more craft skills than YOUR CHARSHEET HAS ROOM FOR. You’ll craft so much, Unconquered Sun will be like, "Sloooooowwww dooowwwwnn." And you’ll be like, "Fuck you!" and KICK him in the face with your WARSTRIDER BOOTS.

You’ll have so much essence, essence (aaaahhhhh!) just stunting all the time. Power stunting, power figthing, power socialing, power planning, power casting, power questing, power summoning DEMONS. You’ll have so many DEMONS. 400 demons.

Get lots and lots of backgrounds and you'll have HUGE PEOPLE. Make your people fight MASS COMBAT. They’ll fight as hard as THE REALM. People will watch them figthing and think they’re THE REALM. They’ll fight as well as THE REALM. in a battle against THE REALM. and it’ll be a tie, and they’ll get deported back to THE BLESSED ISLE.

Hey, go with the sure thing. Don’t gamble on your roleplaying (botched!). Try EXALTED, the game that will make you (aaahhh!) awesome (aaahhh!)

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    SilverFalconSilverFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I play D&D and I am just in the market for some new board games, I am interested in catan, and maybe A Game of Thrones the board game, just really not sure what is good and what is bad?

SilverFalcon on
  • Options
    PygmalionPygmalion Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Try Risk 2210. It's not half bad.
    Settlers of Catan is awesome, but you knew that.
    Diplomacy. They released a new edition.

Re: Exalted - It's not THAT great, calm down. It just has way too much background notes and manga-style art. The system isn't too bad, for White Wolf. If you've read any mythology at all, you can make up your own Exalted style setting without having to memorize some book. That's all with Exalted to avoid thread derailing. Although I suspect you were being jokey.

Pygmalion on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you and your friends are into it, the BSG board game is loads of fun.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Do not under any circumstances allow yourself to be tricked into playing the Twilight board game. Even if somebody has to leave suddenly and you have nothing better to do. Trust me...you do.

Arkham Horror is an awesome board game. I like Catan for simplicity, and Arkham Horror for complexity. My two favorite board games.

Pygmalion on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I play D&D and I am just in the market for some new board games, I am interested in catan, and maybe A Game of Thrones the board game, just really not sure what is good and what is bad?

I think I remember hearing A Game of Thrones is Risk-y, which can be a good or bad thing depending on the group. Catan is an awesome game if you're into the whole resource management thing. I myself am extremely fond of Catan, a lot of it depends on the group though. I gotta say I don't see one of my old groups getting into Catan and such, but we played the hell out of Apples to Apples.
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Do not under any circumstances allow yourself to be tricked into playing the Twilight board game. Even if somebody has to leave suddenly and you have nothing better to do. Trust me...you do.

Arkham Horror is an awesome board game. I like Catan for simplicity, and Arkham Horror for complexity. My two favorite board games.

I lold.

True though, time constraints can be something to consider. I think Twilight is a great game, but I really just don't have the time to play it that often, and as cool and deep as it is, 10+ hours is easy to lose to that monstrosity. Arkham Horror is a little better time-wise, and super fun, but the whole co-op thing is different.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here's the giant thread about boardgames that's on the first page.

Try looking around before you post. There's usually a thread related to or dealing directly with what you want to know.

Reading the Rules post is always a good idea as well.

Esh on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Pygmalion wrote: »

I lold.

True though, time constraints can be something to consider. I think Twilight is a great game, but I really just don't have the time to play it that often, and as cool and deep as it is, 10+ hours is easy to lose to that monstrosity. Arkham Horror is a little better time-wise, and super fun, but the whole co-op thing is different.

The big question is:

Pyg, are you talking Twilight Imperium, or are you talking sparking vampires?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I certainly do not mean Twilight Imperium. I mean the sparking vampires. After about five minutes of enjoyable mocking of the entire premise, the game returns to boredom. It doesn't help that it's trivia based.

Pygmalion on
  • Options
    knuttyknutty Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    fast, fun, quirky, and hilarious (dependent on players) games:

-drowning and falling (http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/games/index.php?game=drowning_and_falling)
    -stupiduel (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12577)

knutty on
    www.saveordieradio.com | Save or Die Radio, a podcast for tabletop gamers.

[SIGPIC]http://www.saveordieradio.com[/SIGPIC]