As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Solicitations for October 2009

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Graphic Violence
Here are previews of Marvel's October books. This post will be updated once the full solicits are out.

EDIT:
FULL SOLICITATIONS
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090721-marvel-october-09-solicitations.html

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Full solicits are up.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, Penance is showing up again.

Also, I can't wait to get the Wizard of Oz hardcover. I love Skottie Young.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Another Spider-Man Monthly?
    :/

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Another Spider-Man Monthly?
    :/

It's replacing the monthly we already had, Spider-Man Family.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In my humble opinion, there is a lot of eh in Marvel's solicitations for October.

Not that it looks all horrible, but there is nothing there that makes me clutch myself with joy and blow the cobwebs off my wallet. Oh well, I'm still reeling from purchasing the new Daredevil and Iron Fist omnibuses this month.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I second CoJoe on the "eh" statement.

And the "Most Wanted" arc in Iron Man is still going? 5 issues too long, Fraction.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Looks like I'll be getting these in October.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #608
    BLACK PANTHER #9
    DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #1
    LUKE CAGE NOIR #3
    ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #3
    WOLVERINE WEAPON X #6
    X-MEN VS. AGENTS OF ATLAS #1
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #609
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #610
    MIGHTY AVENGERS #30
    X-FACTOR #50
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #19
    IMMORTAL WEAPONS #4
    NEW AVENGERS #58
    NOVA #30
    SECRET WARRIORS #9

wwtMask on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The List looks like it could be interesting. Not sure why we cant just have them in the main books, but there's af ew there Ill be getting, like Hickman and McGuinness Secret Warriors one. Beta Ray Bill Godhunter/Phonogram's Kieron Gillen is also doing an Ares mini. Probably going to take a chance on that one based on his past work and how its impressed me. Clone Saga goodness (fuck you haters!) will be money spent on guilty pleasures.

KVW on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ohhh... Punisher is getting a noir series? The Marvel Noir books have been hit and miss, but I'm excited for that one.

Raptor is a really stupid villain. I was hoping we'd never see him again after Spider-Man Annual, but it looks like he'll still be around come October.

Nobody but Neil Gaiman should be allowed to write in the Marvel 1602 universe.

That Initiative solict make's it pretty clear that Nightmare is going be coming back. I love the Trauma character, so this could be good.

A new Ares mini-series? Can never get enough of that guy.

I'll be buying Iron Protocols #1 just for that cover art. That is some good looking armor. The Thunerbolts cover looks amazing, too.

Warren Ellis is my favorite writer, and the X-Men my favorite characters, but I'm going to have to start waiting for the trades. Another five part story, that probably won't be finished for 2 years.

Speaking of X-Books... Wolverine: Weapon X is the best book featuring Wolverine out now. And it looks like it's going to get even better come October.

Man, look at those credits for Punisher MAX #75. That is going to be the best MAX book ever.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Fantastic Four 1602 book was pretty good.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man am I getting a lot of of trades in October. Lets see...

Dark Reign: FF, the last Brubaker Daredevil story (sniff...), War Machine, Thunderbolts, BRB: Godhunter, and Moon Knight: Down South.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Ohhh... Punisher is getting a noir series? The Marvel Noir books have been hit and miss, but I'm excited for that one.

With Barracuda! I'm definitely getting the Punisher and Cage Noirs.

Also, DD #501's cover looks like Matt trying to choke Master Izo to death, which is in a word: Fucked.

Oh, boy. Another Cap Theaters of War book where his origin will be retold for the umpteenth time this year.
    DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #1
    Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
    Yes!

Speaking of which, I love it when Marko draws my girl Carol (MA #30).
    THUNDERBOLTS #137
    This is it, the finale to writer Andy Diggle's run!
    Darn.

Also, I like that Gambit's not wearing that idiotic Jim Lee headgear in X-Men Forever.

Also, dude. Dude. DUDE!
    LOCKJAW AND THE PET AVENGERS HC
    Written by CHRIS ELIOPOULOS
    Penciled by IG GUARA
    Cover by KARL KERSCHL
    And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes were unaware of a threat greater than all of them could handle. And on that day, a teleporting puppy scoured the world to assemble a team of animals to fight the foes
    no single beast could withstand! Strap on your collar and hop on-board the adventures of LOCKJAW, LOCKHEED, REDWING, HAIRBALL, and an all-new FROG THOR! Written by Eisner-nominee CHRIS ELIOPOULOS with art by fan-favorite IG GUARA.Collecting LOCKJAW AND THE PET AVENGERS #1-4, TALES OF THE PET AVENGERS digital comic and the MARVEL PETS HANDBOOK.
    176 PGS./All Ages ...$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-4271-3
    Trim size: oversized

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oversized Pet Avengers Hardcover?

Sold.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man I just realized I still don't see the trade for Messiah War. I really don't want to wait till November or December to read it, nor do I want to pay 40 bucks for the hardcover, especially since it includes Larry Stroman art.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Where is Exiles?

Uhh Ohh...

In response to someone asking if it was canned, Parker simply replied "Oh... er..."

Not good?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh god damn it. I am so taking this to the bitching thread.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Oh god damn it. I am so taking this to the bitching thread.

I'll meet you there.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Given the lack of promotion, the niche concept, and the pretty weak lead-up by Claremont, it's unsurprising that the sales on that book crashed as hard as they did, quality aside.

However, I'm pretty sad about how poorly Parker's other book, Agents of Atlas, is doing. Again, it's such a niche concept that it's not too surprising to see it struggling, but given the amount of promotion it got, and the quality of the art and writing, I was hoping it could have at least a 25 issue run. But its sales are already down around 22k, and now Marvel's tying it in with X-Men to try to buoy its sales.

Still, Marvel's pretty good about just letting concepts lie, and then reviving them later. With DC, there's always the worry that, once a series dies, the protagonist will soon follow suit.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Looking at the Invincible Iron Man solicit, I have a gut feeling Tony will be out of action after the end of "Most Wanted" till Iron Man 2 comes out.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DEADPOOL #900
    Written by JASON AARON, MIKE BENSON, CHARLIE HUSTON, JOE KELLY, DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI & FRED VAN LENTE
    Penciled by KYLE BAKER, SHAWN CRYSTAL, SANFORD GREEEN, ROB LIEFELD, CHRIS STAGGS & DALIBOR TALIJIC
    Cover by DAVE JOHNSON
    Special SUPER-sized, ACTION-packed 104-page special to commemorate Deadpool's historic 900th issue! ... Wait, has it really been nine-hundred issues...? Who cares! If this collection of octane-infused stories by some of comics' hottest talent doesn't make you want to genuflect at the Altar of Wade, nothing will. Thrill as the Merc with a Mouth squares off against probe-happy aliens, trigger-happy mimes and one seriously unhappy fanman - and that's just half the book! Wince as Wade bares his soul (and lots more) to a shrink who's got major squirrels in his own attic. Thrill as he travels around the globe and then some to settle a childhood bet. And chill as C.S.I. investigators at a blood-splattered crime scene attempt to piece together why this particular "unsub" needed battery cables, Crisco oil, three stacks of adult magazines and a live chicken to pull off the hit.
    104 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$4.99

Deadpool #900, hahaha, that is awesome. Deadpool has kind of gotten overexposed, but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm sure at some point I'll get tired of all the love hes been getting, but not yet.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Given the lack of promotion, the niche concept, and the pretty weak lead-up by Claremont, it's unsurprising that the sales on that book crashed as hard as they did, quality aside.

However, I'm pretty sad about how poorly Parker's other book, Agents of Atlas, is doing. Again, it's such a niche concept that it's not too surprising to see it struggling, but given the amount of promotion it got, and the quality of the art and writing, I was hoping it could have at least a 25 issue run. But its sales are already down around 22k, and now Marvel's tying it in with X-Men to try to buoy its sales.

Still, Marvel's pretty good about just letting concepts lie, and then reviving them later. With DC, there's always the worry that, once a series dies, the protagonist will soon follow suit.

I basically hate everyone who isn't buying Agents of Atlas but continues to buy other crap books that they whine about sucking. Jeff Parker shouldn't have to be working on Wolverine or an Avengers book for people to care about his work, god damn it.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That is just about the best description of DC's decision making process for cancelling books that I've ever read.

KVW on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Where is Exiles?

Uhh Ohh...

In response to someone asking if it was canned, Parker simply replied "Oh... er..."

Not good?

God damn it all.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Immortal Weapons thing sounds good, and Jason Aaron is writing Fantomex and Noh-Varr in the Wolverine The List thing, so that should be really interesting.
    DARK REIGN: THE LIST - WOLVERINE
    Written by JASON AARON
    Pencils & Cover by ESAD RIBIC
    The power mad Norman Osborn wants control of the Weapon Plus program. The eternally-surly Wolverine wants to stop him. The artificially-evolved super-sentinel Fantomex wants to shoot everyone in the face and zip away in his kick-ass flying saucer. The Kree warrior Marvel Boy just wants the hell out. And the all-new Weapon XVI wants to bring the world to its knees. And you should want to read it. PLUS: Jason Aaron’s never-before-reprinted first Wolverine story, from WOLVERINE (first series) 175—and more!
    48 PGS./One-Shot/Parental Advisory ...$3.99

The cover for that is ridiculous though:
    25darkreignthelistwolve.jpg
    It does suggest that Noh-varr still has his awesome gauntlets that morph into different guns, so hopefully he gets all of his gear back. He had a really neat "alien commando" look going on in the mini. When he showed up in the Runaways thing, he was just wearing his armored wet-suit thing.

A Noh-varr/Fantomex fight first work together afterwards thing would be awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fantomex... is it wrong to feel cautiously optimistic about his return?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I've been thinking about it a little more, and I have a feeling that Exiles is going to be rolled into another book as a backup starting in December.

And if I had to take a major guess, I'd want to say that book would be Agents of Atlas. A Jeff Parker 2 for 1.

All just speculation of course, but I'm hoping we find out this weekend!

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It does suggest that Noh-varr still has his awesome gauntlets that morph into different guns, so hopefully he gets all of his gear back. He had a really neat "alien commando" look going on in the mini. When he showed up in the Runaways thing, he was just wearing his armored wet-suit thing.

A Noh-varr/Fantomex fight first work together afterwards thing would be awesome.

In the last issue of the Savage She-Hulk mini he got to use his pocket battlespace.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Agents of Atlas is struggling? Man, now I'm depressed.

If I lose Agents of Atlas on top of losing Captain Britain and Blue Beetle I will have such a hissy fit I swear.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

In the last issue of the Savage She-Hulk mini he got to use his pocket battlespace.

Is that a euphemism for something?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No. He has a pocket-sized device which envelops himself and others (presumably his foes) into a battlespace with all sorts of cool parameters to fucking with hsi enemies, and within which he controls the physics and is basically God. Lyra (the She-Hulk from the future) still kicked his ass, but he had a great line after he dropped it on her and before he went in that basically went, "If I'm not back in ten minutes, have Bob throw this into the sun."

Though come to think of it, I think Venom made that joke. So, congrats. You're as funny as the lame Venom.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No. He has a pocket-sized device which envelops himself and others (presumably his foes) into a battlespace with all sorts of cool parameters to fucking with hsi enemies, and within which he controls the physics and is basically God. Lyra (the She-Hulk from the future) still kicked his ass, but he had a great line after he dropped it on her and before he went in that basically went, "If I'm not back in ten minutes, have Bob throw this into the sun."

Though come to think of it, I think Venom made that joke. So, congrats. You're as funny as the lame Venom.

Actually, I thought YOU were trying to be funny. I honestly had no idea, and since you've never been funny before, I thought I should ask before jumping to conclusions.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Second to last (hopefully) Exiles Update:

Jeff Parker says on Twitter that he'll explain what's happening with the book tomorrow.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I can't help but find that funny.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I can't help but find that funny.

How so?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Because I'm the only person on GV who still likes Claremont.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    At least Agents of Atlas is still alive. It's a crime that Jeff Parker doesn't get more love from the fans. Give him an arc on a major book and the dude would be high profile in no time.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I liked Exiles

Weaver on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you didn't, you wouldn't have a soul.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, I loved Exiles.

ExilesMalibu1.png

But the reboot just wasn't that good. I didn't even know Jeff Parker worked on this:

ANExilesMalibu1.png

Hensler on