As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help Me De-Stink This House!

Mr PinkMr Pink I got catsfor youRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently purchased my first ever house (well, rent to own, but it's almost the same thing). It's a really neat old place tucked away on a shady road, it's quiet, and I plan on converting one of the extra rooms into a recording area for my band. Sounds good, right? Just one thing -

The house stinks.

The people that lived there before me apparently had a few cats and dogs, and I'm suspecting that they might not have always made it away from the carpet for potty time. They were also elderly, so I'm guessing they either got used to the smell, or never noticed it. However, it's pretty damn stinky.

Here's the problem: this Saturday (three days away) I'm having a bunch of friends over to celebrate the house, place a little Rock Band, etc. So basically I have three days to make this house not smell like a dog pen.

Ideas, H/A? Favorite products? Secret tips?

Mr Pink on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Carpet? Pray to whomever you want that there is hardwood under and rip that shit up. Carpet and foam holds A LOT of nasty stuff if not cared for.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Carpet? Pray to whomever you want that there is hardwood under and rip that shit up. Carpet and foam holds A LOT of nasty stuff if not cared for.

Yeah, it's carpet. And I'm pretty sure I'll have it redone within the next month. I just need something so that my party guests are not put off by the odor.

Mr Pink on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can rent a carpet shampooer at some bigger grocery stores. That's your best bet, along with maybe some Febreeze or (my preference) Renuzit the day of the party.

TL DR on
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In three days?

Shit loads of air fresheners, Fabreeze, etc. If you have time to hang around the house, you could open up all the doors/windows and see if it airs out any. Maybe even paint a few walls to get that newly painted smell in there.

I agree with the others though, 86 the carpet as soon as you can.

FF on
    Huh...
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darkgrue on
    edited July 2009
    You can buy a white powder you dust all over your carpets and then vaccum up, that shit smells really good.

Improvolone on
    edited July 2009
    You can buy a white powder you dust all over your carpets and then vaccum up, that shit smells really good.

This intrigues me. Will it work with a regular vacuum?

Mr Pink on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »

This intrigues me. Will it work with a regular vacuum?
    Yeah. It's called Carpet Fresh. There are generics, too.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • korrianderkorriander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Trying to fix the carpet is only a temporary measure. You'll have to do it over and over as the smell starts to come back. The only way to truly be rid of the stink is to replace the carpets and paint the ceiling, walls, and floor before putting carpet back in. You need to use an oil based primer under the paint, like the Kilz Complete or a similar primer specifically with smell-blocking stuff in it, then paint over it with whatever. Primer degrades on its own, and paint in itself will not block any of the smell. The most important will be the floors. Your carpet has to go. Under that, paint whatever the base wood is with the oil primer, then slop a cheap coat of any paint over it to protect the primer, then go ahead and recarpet. Thats the only way to permanently be rid of the smell. IMHO, but I do do this for a living, so I'm not making shit up.

korriander on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're going to be slopping down coats of oil based primer on plywood, it might be cheaper just to rip it up and re-floor it.

You're not going to de-stink it in the next few days, not without replacing at least the flooring.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    If you're going to be slopping down coats of oil based primer on plywood, it might be cheaper just to rip it up and re-floor it.

You're not going to de-stink it in the next few days, not without replacing at least the flooring.

He doesn't have to get it ready to board tenants. It's just for a party. During the event the windows can probably stay open, and if it's a real problem then burn incense, smoke some pot, use an oil burner, a Glade plugin, or some scent-neutralizing spray.

TL DR on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Throw some Natures Miracle on the carpets. There's a formula designed to go in the tank of a rug cleaner and that shit is amazing. Go over the carpets a couple times with that, changing the tank whenever it gets dirty, then do it again with a tank full of diluted febreeze and there you have it!

Bake some cookies, make a cake or something like that afterward and nobody will ever know your house smelled like a litterbox the day before.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited July 2009
    Enough Nature's Miracle would be expensive, doubly stupid since he will be ripping this all up.
    The baking cookies is a great idea.

Improvolone on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In addition to the powder stuff and some febreeze, you should also get some plug-in air fresheners, or those little cans of scent they sell at Lowes/Home Depot. The carpet treatment mentioned above will do a good job of temporarily neutralizing the carpet, which is good. The air fresheners will make it smell better in general. Combining both is best for a party.

Don't rent a steam cleaner, as they're expensive and you're ripping up the carpets soon anyway. Some carpet powder, some febreeze, a vacuum and some air fresheners should do ya fine.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm gonna piggy back on this thread since my house still has a smell of smoke (previous owners were smokers).

One tip I've heard is washing the walls/re-painting. I don't want to re-paint quite yet (getting married next year, and would like the fiance to have a say in the colours), but does anyone have any tips on washing walls, and getting the smoke smell out of a house?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited July 2009
    Kilz primer is awesome and is probably your best bet outside of replacing the drywall. Smoke can really sink in to shit.

Improvolone on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, if you're worried about cleaning up for a party, just throw some extra spike in the punch and nobody will notice after awhile, anyway.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

He doesn't have to get it ready to board tenants. It's just for a party. During the event the windows can probably stay open, and if it's a real problem then burn incense, smoke some pot, use an oil burner, a Glade plugin, or some scent-neutralizing spray.

If the smell is from the previous owners having a lot of cats and dogs and allowing them to do cat and dog things everywhere, no amount of febreze/incense/pot in the world is going to get the smell of ammonia out of that house.

No matter what you do in there, it's going to smell like cat piss and wet dog that has been covered up with n.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Most the grocery stores around where I live will rent you a carpet shampooer for like $30. Then maybe go over with carpet fresh and a vacuum. Probably not a permanent fix, but good enough to get you through a party.

MushroomStick on
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Try cleaning your walls with TSP. Its the one we used to clean our small house when we got it, and man the revious owners were SMOKERS!

For the temperarly removing the smells, go the rug doctor routine in the main living area (costs me $80 with the upolstrey wand and you get 25 back if you return b the right time), any furniture they left and you are useing, wash down walls and/or ceiling with TSP, and feberez the crap outa stuff 2-3 hours before the party, You can find the one that is for pet smell and I find it works awesone on our occasional cat smells. Also leave windows door open early in the morning late in the evening (when it is cool) to help air it out.

Mom2Kat on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Trillian wrote: »
    Well, if you're worried about cleaning up for a party, just throw some extra spike in the punch and nobody will notice after awhile, anyway.
    Dang, I've never been that drunk :P

Tips so far are solid. In the long term I'd get rid of carpet entirely. Its expensive, gross, far too high-maintenance, and super bad for anyone with asthma. Wood or fake-wood laminate stuff plus rugs for warm toes is best. At least if you spill paint or milk on a rug you can take it elsewhere to clean it.

Only thing I'd add is to put a cake of soap on each shelf of your linen and storage cupboards. Makes everything smell nice.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    Try cleaning your walls with TSP. Its the one we used to clean our small house when we got it, and man the revious owners were SMOKERS!

For the temperarly removing the smells, go the rug doctor routine in the main living area (costs me $80 with the upolstrey wand and you get 25 back if you return b the right time), any furniture they left and you are useing, wash down walls and/or ceiling with TSP, and feberez the crap outa stuff 2-3 hours before the party, You can find the one that is for pet smell and I find it works awesone on our occasional cat smells. Also leave windows door open early in the morning late in the evening (when it is cool) to help air it out.

What is "TSP"?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Trisodium Phosphate. It's a heavy duty cleaning agent.

With smoke, you likely have it caked on the walls (even if you can't see it) and that's causing the lingering odor. While painting would work, it would still leave the cause of the smell there (just sealed up) and that could gradually come through the new paint. Giving the walls a quick scrub with a strong cleaning agent, like TSP, would help actually remove the source of the smells.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited July 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Trisodium Phosphate. It's a heavy duty cleaning agent.

With smoke, you likely have it caked on the walls (even if you can't see it) and that's causing the lingering odor. While painting would work, it would still leave the cause of the smell there (just sealed up) and that could gradually come through the new paint. Giving the walls a quick scrub with a strong cleaning agent, like TSP, would help actually remove the source of the smells.

Thanks for that. So this should be done as a part of a re-painting process, or can this be done independent of re-painting? I'm thinking something that strong would strip paint off as well as the smoke residue.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're looking for a temporary fix, rather than trying to cover the smell with more smell you might want to try getting a bunch of activated charcoal from a pet store and leaving it around the house. Activated charcoal is generally used for purification (water, air, etc) and for air filters. You can also buy Air Cleaners/Purifiers that use activated charcoal for a more long term smell neutralizer.

Hypatia on
  • prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In browsing/shopping for a house over the past several months, there have been a few that we come across that are pretty nice, but have an odor to them. After vocalizing my opinion on this matter, our real estate agent has referenced renting on ozone machine. I have no idea how much it costs to do this, and don't personally have any experience with it, but she seemed extremely confident that this would remove any lingering scents from a place. She explained to me that you leave the machine running in a house for like a day, and return to have all smells vanished. Apparently it sucks out all the oxygen from the house, taking all odors with it? Seems like an option, although you would have to be able to vacate the premises for like a day or something...

prfntbtr on
  • TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    prfntbtr wrote: »
    In browsing/shopping for a house over the past several months, there have been a few that we come across that are pretty nice, but have an odor to them. After vocalizing my opinion on this matter, our real estate agent has referenced renting on ozone machine. I have no idea how much it costs to do this, and don't personally have any experience with it, but she seemed extremely confident that this would remove any lingering scents from a place. She explained to me that you leave the machine running in a house for like a day, and return to have all smells vanished. Apparently it sucks out all the oxygen from the house, taking all odors with it? Seems like an option, although you would have to be able to vacate the premises for like a day or something...

Ozone is highly reactive with anything (normal oxygen is O2, Ozone is O3, making it 'radical'), so I can see that working. Not sure how well it would deal when there is an actual source of the smell.

Tinuz on
    edited July 2009
    You guys are giving me a lot of really good suggestions, I appreciate it.

Right now it looks like I'm just going to clean the carpet and febreeze the hell out of them for Saturday (and have some incense/candles going) and then tear up the carpet later.

Mr Pink on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Check the crawlspace for bodies?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    If its not hot as balls where ever you are, box fans and windows can be great. In my old dorm I used to have a fan facing inwards with dryersheets on the back, which would quickly insert a fresh laundry scent into the room. Washing any other linens while you shampoo the carpet should help bring about some added temporary freshness.

The problem I find with fabreez is that in any large quantity it starts to smell like someone stabbed a can of aerosol and let it explode in the room. Its best to combine it with fresh outside air so people in the room can breathe.

or, alternatively, bake some muffins.

Iruka on
    edited July 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    If its not hot as balls where ever you are, box fans and windows can be great. In my old dorm I used to have a fan facing inwards with dryersheets on the back, which would quickly insert a fresh laundry scent into the room. Washing any other linens while you shampoo the carpet should help bring about some added temporary freshness.

The problem I find with fabreez is that in any large quantity it starts to smell like someone stabbed a can of aerosol and let it explode in the room. Its best to combine it with fresh outside air so people in the room can breathe.

or, alternatively, bake some muffins.

South Georgia, so yeah, balls hot. That fan trick sounds like something I could do, though.

Mr Pink on
    edited July 2009
    Tinuz wrote: »
    prfntbtr wrote: »

Ozone is highly reactive with anything (normal oxygen is O2, Ozone is O3, making it 'radical'), so I can see that working. Not sure how well it would deal when there is an actual source of the smell.

Oh fuck, I forgot about those things. My dad has one. He hired someone to do it and then they neve returned to get the machine back. The thing is pretty awesome.

Improvolone on
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have to say that if you plan on removing the carpet yourself (save money!!) then you will appreciate that you decided to clean the carpet first.

Cat pee dries up and will get all in your nose when you start kicking up dust removing the carpet. We took all the carpet out of our house and were miserable when we hit the stairs.

My cat made a few bad spots on the particle board subfloor, I had to use a planer to fix the warped wood and some spray paint to fix it back. Wish I had thought more about the idea of primer and then paint but 8 months down and no problems, plus he's not hitting those spots again.

Also, we got one of those automatic aerosol sprayers at target that goes off every half hour and it helped a lot.

Good luck

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png