As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In a universe without FTL...

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
...do you think slower-then-light space travel is likely to become a human pursuit. Interstellar travel no less.

Obviously not an endeavour that would have the average return we expect for most of our endeavours, something that would be accomplished over timeframes which we currently consider to be multi-generational. Presuming Einstein saw the whole picture, and we really are just filling out the details, is a substantial human space exploration effort taking place over 100's to thousands of years a likely endeavour without FTL?

I personally think yes. I think we'd be doing it right now, we merely lack certain technologies - humankind has visions of grandeur and once the technological means to accomplish a certain enterprise are available I would argue we're very likely to try it just to see if it can be done. In terms of space exploration, well there's a litany, but presuming we solve the immediate dilemma of heavy lifting launch vehicles, and had some way to survive the time spent in interstellar space, I think we'd have craft out there.

At the very least, I think once we can get things into space cheaply, then there's a pretty good chance someone will start proposing interstellar probes of our nearest systems.

I like to dream about these endeavours - and I hope to see them in my lifetime, if say, space elevators also happen. What do you all think?

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am 90% sure that what will happen is we will launch interstellar probes and then completely forget about them. I mean completely.

In the 100s of years it takes to get anywhere, we as humans would have moved on and forgotton.

It would be like getting mail from 1000 BC

joshua1 on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's not inconceivable that we could find a way to extend the healthy portion of life indefinitely, and time becomes a near non-issue at that point. Space madness would still be an issue, but the knowledge that you're likely to come back, and everyone you know will still be alive could help.

Advances in engine technology (speed) and hull coverings (for protection from radiation and debris), as well as medical advances will probably make single generation interstellar travel viable eventually.

MKR on
  • Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    We're a long from 2010... the film. Why is that? I blame the lack of competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhMYgq-0cGI&feature=related

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can definitely see us terraforming and settling Mars or some moons. Especially if we continue to fuck this planet up.

Also, assuming the Singularity, hardy nanomachine clouds containing human intelligence could accelerate to near light speed.

Qingu on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Without [magic wand development(s) in spaceflight technology], I don't see us making it anywhere close to the speed of light, so the effects of relativity won't be a lot of help. Barring that? We could perhaps find ways to extend the human lifespan, with or without cryogenics. There's also unmanned missions and/or the possibility of simply "seeding" planets.

Realistically, though, any of these methods would be one-way trips with no relevance to life on Earth. They would, in a sense, be purely altruistic endeavors, because our goal would not be to help ourselves here on the planet but to ensure the continuance of the human race as a whole.

Can I see us undertaking such acts sometime in the distant future? Key word is distant, but I suppose so. Nations have undertaken colossally expensive endeavors for much stupider ideologically-driven reasons in the past, so I don't see why it couldn't happen again. But the key word is "distant", because we're still so far from the many different technological developments necessary to even make it possible.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    See I was also thinking of other options. For example, between relativistic effects and technological advancement, we could launch ships where the journey was subjectively experienced as lasting for only a few months. An AI for example could voluntarily slow it's thought processes right down so it didn't seem like the trip lasted very long. I imagine we could do something similar for humans if we could inhibit muscle atrophy and the like - waking them only every decade or so.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We can't terraform

we can't alter the entire atmosphere, and we don't have enough oxygen to start loading out other planets with it

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do believe there will still be space colonization without FTL. There just won't be constant space travel, communications between worlds, the Federation, etc.

Right now we can detect planets, even Earth-size ones, around distant stars, and coarsely see their properties. It's only a matter of time before we develop a way of seeing whether they can support life. Then, we'll launch generation ships, so that our great-great-great-great-grandchildren will colonize them.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We can't terraform

we can't alter the entire atmosphere, and we don't have enough oxygen to start loading out other planets with it

There are plausible ways to terraform Mars, although they would take a long time and great expense, and obviously there are still problems that we're not sure about (like its lack of a magnetosphere). As I've said many times though, I don't see the point of us trying to anything of the sort as long as we still have plenty of space on the surfaces of our oceans and in our deserts here on Earth.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if we find a way to do it far in the future, when it actually becomes an issue.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    I do believe there will still be space colonization without FTL. There just won't be constant space travel, communications between worlds, the Federation, etc.

Right now we can detect planets, even Earth-size ones, around distant stars, and coarsely see their properties. It's only a matter of time before we develop a way of seeing whether they can support life. Then, we'll launch generation ships, so that our great-great-great-great-grandchildren will colonize them.

Generation ships have a whole mess of problems. You have to be able to create a completely self-sustaining ecosystem that won't break down over extremely long periods of time; you need to have a population large enough to prevent inbreeding; and you have to find a way to make sure they stay interested in, you know, colonizing a planet, when the people who get there are many generations removed from anyone who has ever lived on one.

Finally, you have to accelerate all this mass and decelerate it again--the more you send, the more difficult propulsion problems become.

Frankly, of all the concepts for interstellar colonization, generation ships seem the least plausible to me. The most plausible would probably be sending a ton of embryos and having either a tiny manned crew or robots grow them and raise them when they reach the planet. After that, a big meatlocker filled with cryogenically-frozen people. This is assuming we actually send biological humans, of course.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    In terms of interstellar trade in a world without FTL, I wonder if what we'd end up with is a constant exchange of time capsules between worlds. One could make the argument that any colonization effort is oriented towards the cultural and technological preservation of the human race, and so once we were reasonably confident that out there we had human colonies the trade effort would be launching a big swathe of our culture and technological information between ourselves as an insurance policy, probably along with those who wanted to go and adventure on another world.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I could see humanity sending probes and maybe even manned vessels out to other stars that are 5-10ly away. Though a manned mission would of course only happen if there's anything around said stars to bother wanting to land on.

Past any mission taking longer than say 10-15 years I just don't see the use. The amount of technological advance in those years would most lead to something that could make the same trip faster. It would just totally suck to be on some sort of colony ship in say suspended animation, or a generation ship, extended lifespans via drugs etc, on a 100 year trip. Only by the time you arrive the planet is already colonized by the ship that left 50 years after you traveling 3x as fast.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Foomy wrote: »
    I could see humanity sending probes and maybe even manned vessels out to other stars that are 5-10ly away. Though a manned mission would of course only happen if there's anything around said stars to bother wanting to land on.

Past any mission taking longer than say 10-15 years I just don't see the use. The amount of technological advance in those years would most lead to something that could make the same trip faster. It would just totally suck to be on some sort of colony ship in say suspended animation, or a generation ship, extended lifespans via drugs etc, on a 100 year trip. Only by the time you arrive the planet is already colonized by the ship that left 50 years after you traveling 3x as fast.

Heh, the people who got to the planet first should be dicks and dress up like aliens to psych-out the people on the slow ship when they arrive.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Heh, the people who got to the planet first should be dicks and dress up like aliens to psych-out the people on the slow ship when they arrive.
    This is the way the first interplanetary war will start.
    Centuries later the few remaining survivors will finally get the joke.

see317 on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Society would have to change a great deal for it to happen. As someone said, there is literally no hope of getting anything in return for anyone who funds such a mission. Unless we can find a way around the speed of light, if only to send information, there is basically no point in leaving the solar system.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why would we have to do it in a single generation? I mean, last I checked, humankind was pretty good at that whole "reproduction" business.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We can't terraform

Terraforming is less far fetched than interstellar travel

override367 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009

That's actually a minor plot point in an Alastair Reynolds book. The planet isn't already colonized by the time they get there, but the tech is already painfully out of date by the time they get there, resulting in the colony becoming something of a backwater.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Why would we have to do it in a single generation? I mean, last I checked, humankind was pretty good at that whole "reproduction" business.

It's like all the problems with NASA, plus all the problems with home schooling, plus all the problems of colonialism. And yeah, word wouldn't even reach Earth for an irrelevantly long time.

TL DR on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Even with STL travel, trips to distant galaxies could be quick from the perspective of the traveler. It all depends on how close to the speed of light we get. Using the extreme example of travel at the speed of light, the trip would be instantaneous for the travelers.

enc0re on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    enc0re wrote: »
    Even with STL travel, trips to distant galaxies could be quick from the perspective of the traveler. It all depends on how close to the speed of light we get. Using the extreme example of travel at the speed of light, the trip would be instantaneous for the travelers.
    except you can't reach the speed of light...

MikeMan on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That's actually a minor plot point in an Alastair Reynolds book. The planet isn't already colonized by the time they get there, but the tech is already painfully out of date by the time they get there, resulting in the colony becoming something of a backwater.

I always liked the idea of his Ultras subculture. Basically the people who travel from system to system in near light speed ships using cyrogenics end up hip hopping their way around history because their trips take decades

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Once it becomes technologically viable to have a bear minimum of the necessary abilities to set up an interstellar colonization effort, even one that has no hope of ever communicating or traveling back, you know someone is going to do it. The problem is it's going to be some sort of rich fringe nutjob group who feels "oppressed" in modern society, think Scientology or some whackier evangelical church. They have the funds, they inherently run the kind of focused, unquestioning autocracy that you would need to keep people focused on an invisible goal for generations, and look at who did the major colonization efforts here on earth (religious nuts in America, prison planet in Australia).

werehippy on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »

That's why he said "Extreme example", it's not possible, but we could get very close to it.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    Once it becomes technologically viable to have a bear minimum of the necessary abilities to set up an interstellar colonization effort, even one that has no hope of ever communicating or traveling back, you know someone is going to do it. The problem is it's going to be some sort of rich fringe nutjob group who feels "oppressed" in modern society, think Scientology or some whackier evangelical church. They have the funds, they inherently run the kind of focused, unquestioning autocracy that you would need to keep people focused on an invisible goal for generations, and look at who did the major colonization efforts here on earth (religious nuts in America, prison planet in Australia).
    I think if the Scientologists wanted to leave the planet, they could easily find the funds to do that.

I'd write them a check.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

His point was that, as you approach the speed of light, the distance you need to travel is compressed, and so the trip takes less time up until the upper-limit of being instantaneous at the speed of light.

Garthor on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think if the Scientologists wanted to leave the planet, they could easily find the funds to do that.

I'd write them a check.

Which is always everyone's first reaction :)

The only problem is, there really might be other people out there and I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about Scientologists being our first impression. Fuckers would sell us out to Xenu at the drop of a hat.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I'd write them a check.
    Which is always everyone's first reaction :)

The only problem is, there really might be other people out there and I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about Scientologists being our first impression. Fuckers would sell us out to Xenu at the drop of a hat.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

Somebody will Dr. Smith them. It's a small price to pay.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Considering the current construct of society is driven by a monetary system over say, beneficial practices making life on our planet easier, it simply won't happen unless some sort of an extinction event is predicted to occur beforehand.

Meiz on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That's why he said "Extreme example", it's not possible, but we could get very close to it.

Not really. At realistic speeds, the time dilation effects are pretty unhelpful.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Adrien wrote: »

Not really. At realistic speeds, the time dilation effects are pretty unhelpful.

Realistic how? If we're talking about a living crew, then 1g acceleration is probably a realistic upper-bound... which accelerates (classically) to the speed of light in about one year. Too lazy to do some relativistic physics at the moment, but you'll definitely have some relativistic effects at that point.

Of course, getting 1g acceleration over a full year is another issue...

Garthor on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm a big fan of Greg Egan's work, and I think his solution is a pretty cool (and more likely than FTL) one. Basically, at the point that we're intent on traveling around the stars, we're also capable of essentially sending ourselves as information (thus, light speed is possible). It still takes years (sometimes thousands) to move from place to place, but people do it and that's just the way things work. Sometimes you get where you were headed 2,000 years ago, and things are very different, sometimes they're pretty much the same.

I forget what the method was for transporting materials for construction of bases and the like though...I imagine that will be the more difficult part.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    In terms of interstellar trade in a world without FTL, I wonder if what we'd end up with is a constant exchange of time capsules between worlds. One could make the argument that any colonization effort is oriented towards the cultural and technological preservation of the human race, and so once we were reasonably confident that out there we had human colonies the trade effort would be launching a big swathe of our culture and technological information between ourselves as an insurance policy, probably along with those who wanted to go and adventure on another world.

Time capsules seems a bit inefficient when we have these magical waves that can propagate long distances through space and can easily be used to transmit information.

There's a book called A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. It takes place in a universe without FTL drives. For the most part, human colonised worlds are pretty much isolated and operate independently from other worlds. However, a trading culture devised this system where they set up a network of radio broadcasts which is designed to transmit their information across the entirety of human space. So, while the farthest worlds may be several hundred light years away, they'll at least be kept in sync within a couple of centuries. The benefit of this is that if a colony should collapse and lose their advanced technology, as soon as they find radio technology, they'll discover these broastcasts which will accelerate their return to civilisation.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Time capsules seems a bit inefficient when we have these magical waves that can propagate long distances through space and can easily be used to transmit information.

There's a book called A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. It takes place in a universe without FTL drives. For the most part, human colonised worlds are pretty much isolated and operate independently from other worlds. However, a trading culture devised this system where they set up a network of radio broadcasts which is designed to transmit their information across the entirety of human space. So, while the farthest worlds may be several hundred light years away, they'll at least be kept in sync within a couple of centuries. The benefit of this is that if a colony should collapse and lose their advanced technology, as soon as they find radio technology, they'll discover these broastcasts which will accelerate their return to civilisation.

Time capsules don't attenuate.

MKR on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    MKR wrote: »

Over the vast distances of space, I think attenuation is a far easier problem then getting a time capsule reliably to a distant planet. The other advantage of radio is that it's easy to pick up anywhere on a planet, whereas a time capsule could easily crash into the ocean and just be lost.

Of course, that's assuming the thing actually makes it to the planet in the first place. If you sent an object on a 100 light year journey and you fail to account for some force for whatever reason, the time capsule could be pulled several light years off course, missing the target solar system completely.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MKR wrote: »

Over the vast distances of space, I think attenuation is a far easier problem then getting a time capsule reliably to a distant planet. The other advantage of radio is that it's easy to pick up anywhere on a planet, whereas a time capsule could easily crash into the ocean and just be lost.

Of course, that's assuming the thing actually makes it to the planet in the first place. If you sent an object on a 100 light year journey and you fail to account for some force for whatever reason, the time capsule could be pulled several light years off course, missing the target solar system completely.

I'm pretty sure if we have the ability to send a spacecraft 100 light years, we can also build a navigation system into it. You can already use any cheap computer to find stars automatically, so it's not a stretch.

MKR on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Another advantage of time capsules is that you can send physical objects, not just information.

Not much of an advantage, since anything you can send physically you can just send specs for and have them build it at the destination. Really, the only thing we'd need to send that way are historical artefacts, the kind where a near-perfect reproduction just isn't good enough.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    Another advantage of time capsules is that you can send physical objects, not just information.

Not much of an advantage, since anything you can send physically you can just send specs for and have them build it at the destination. Really, the only thing we'd need to send that way are historical artefacts, the kind where a near-perfect reproduction just isn't good enough.
    But that stuff isn't something you want to take the hundred-lightyear space bazooka risk with.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Expecting it to make a hundred light year journey without breaking down, or having encountering some sort of problem is a heck of a stretch. That's why radio would be superior.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Expecting it to make a hundred light year journey without breaking down, or having encountering some sort of problem is a heck of a stretch. That's why radio would be superior.

There are more things that can keep a radio wave from reaching its destination than a well-built ship.

With radio, first you have to get a ship about a light year from earth to send the signal, then you have to hope it doesn't encounter any objects in interstellar space (a ship with a navigation system could fly around asteroids and planets).

And then there's the wide range of radiation that would probably stop the signal quickly.

MKR on