Options

[FREE GAMES] CHZO Mythos Adventure Games -- Special Editions are now free!

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
There's an incredibly awesome series of graphic adventure games made by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (of Zero Punctuation fame, but because I'm so incredibly indie I knew him before he started that nonsense) called the CHZO Mythos. They are horror themed and awesome.

Previously you could download and play the full version for free, but Yahtzee had some Special Editions reserved for those who donated to his PayPal account. Now, since he makes so much more money elsewhere, he has made them all available for free (in addition to the great Flashback-like game, 1213)!

Just in case you've never heard of these games...

5 DAYS A STRANGER

screen4.gif

You are Trilby, a professional cat burglar who infiltrates a mansion after a tip that the previous owner has died. Upon arrival, you find that other people are trapped in the mansion and can't escape, and now you are among them. As the 5 days pass, people begin to die...

7 DAYS A SKEPTIC

7daysscreen1.jpg

200 years after the events of 5 Days A Stranger, Dr. Jonathan Somerset has begun a voyage through space as the shrink on the Mephistopheles. The crew finds a strange box floating through space and takes it aboard, but it doesn't seem to be the alien life/first contact they were hoping for. They decide to leave the box alone and retire for the night. In the morning, the box is open and the murders begin...

TRILBY'S NOTES

tn-bar.gif

After the events in the mansion, Trilby is still haunted by the horrible things that have happened to him. Upon discovering that something remains from that place, he journeys to the Clanbronwyn Hotel in order to protect the world from the menace that nearly killed him. He doesn't realize, however, that the mansion was just the beginning...

6 DAYS A SACRIFICE

6das4.gif

The fourth and final installment of the CHZO Mythos takes place 100 years after Trilby's trip to the DeFoe mansion and 100 years prior to the events aboard the Mephistopheles. Theo Dacabe, a building inspector, is doing his routine inspection on a building owned by a secretive cult known as Opimology when the unthinkable happens to him. Now he is victim to the past and the future as destiny finally comes full circle.

1213 (Not a part of the CHZO Mythos)

scrnshot3.gif

A man with only the number 1213 for a name wakes up every morning to a sadistic man who performs experiments on him. With no memory, he is forced to do as this man bids, until one day the door of his cell mysteriously opens...

This game is done in a sort of Flashback/Prince of Persia style but is made with the same engine as the adventure games above. And it's awesome.

All of the Special Editions of the above games can be downloaded for free here, and previously they would have cost you $5 apiece.

Play and enjoy!

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, what's different about the special editions?

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How can you put 1213 in there and leave out the vastly superior 'platformy' game that does have something to do with the Chzo mythos (well trilby, not the story itself)

Trilby: The Art of Theft

45163_display.jpg

edit: ahh there was ALSO a 1213 special edition. Well still go play AoT

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Krosius wrote: »

commentary, blooper reals, an early warning system for the chase sequences in 7Days(Goddamnit teleporting motherfucker arrrgh).

And you also get muzak/concept art.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    How can you put 1213 in there and leave out the vastly superior 'platformy' game that does have something to do with the Chzo mythos (well trilby, not the story itself)

Trilby: The Art of Theft
    45163_display.jpg

edit: ahh there was ALSO a 1213 special edition. Well still go play AoT

Yeah, if there was a Special Edition for AoT I definitely would've included it in the OP. I was a beta tester for the game, after all!
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Krosius wrote: »

commentary, blooper reals, an early warning system for the chase sequences in 7Days(Goddamnit teleporting motherfucker arrrgh).

And you also get muzak/concept art.

The commentary is the most important part, particularly for the kinda confusing 6 Days. Although the early warning system is very, very nice.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know, you could have put this in the Indie thread.

theSquid on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    theSquid wrote: »
    You know, you could have put this in the Indie thread.

Well, I thought it might get a bit more attention if there was a thread title screaming "FREE STUFF THAT WAS NOT PREVIOUSLY FREE" than if I just stuck it in some blanket thread.

I just played through 6 Days, wow is there some helpful stuff in there. What was previously a massively confusing game became a mildly confusing game.

Still pretty good atmosphere, regardless of how you think the plot went.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Replayed through 5DAS. The little interview sequence at the main menu is pretty funny.

joshofalltrades on