As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Office 2003 won't install on XP Pro - Error 1402

matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off'Points to 'on'Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Using an account with administrator privileges, I'm getting an error: "Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your Information Technology department for assistance."

I am the IT department. I have sufficient permissions. Googling gives me a ton of results, and I've tried just about everything suggested in MS Knowledge Base articles, multiple fixes, resetting security permissions to default for everything, manually editing the key to allow the user account access. Nothing works, I get the same error every time. I've tried installing it using both the default Administrator account and my regular account with admin permissions. Anyone have any ideas?

nibXTE7.png
matt has a problem on

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Take ownership of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key and replace the permission entries on all the child objects.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Awesome, thanks, that worked. Why I didn't think of just going up the chain with permissions I'll never know...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I forget simple fixes for things all the time. :D

Glad it worked.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]