As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Art of networking and influencing people

muninnmuninn Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am an unemployed scientist. A new position opened up reflecting my interests and professional background, and is with a company I worked under a contract with recently. I know the managing director at said company liked me quite a bit, despite me not having much facetime with her, and she expressed her willingness to help out, when I was leaving the company.

I would like to send her an email asking in the most tactful and respectful manner to see if she could influence the selection process in my favor. Is such a thing a viable tactic?
If so, should I send in my application and ask her to help out, or should I express my interest and try to get "referred to this position by" point from her?

The thing is I have no idea how to write such a letter without sounding like a douchebag. Can anyone help out?

muninn on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're on such terms with her that you could send her an email, just tell her you heard about the job and you're interested in finding out more about it.

Don't out-right ask her to pull for you. There's probably an ethical issue there. If you let her know you're interested, however, she might be able to help out.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hi XXXXX,

I hope you've been well. I wanted to send you a quick note as I recently noticed a position opening up with your organization that I know I'd be a good fit for. Since you have some personal experience with regards to my work history I thought I'd send you a note just to let you know of my intention of applying. As I'm sure you know, it's always great to have a champion internally when it comes to getting your foot in the door. Looking forward to potentially working with you again in the future. Take care XXXXX!

Best,

Dude

SatanIsMyMotor on