As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Migrating a windows install to a new disk

AzioAzio Registered User regular
My 500GB storage drive is full, so I just bought a new 1000GB disk. The problem is I'm already using all four SATA ports so I will have to remove the smallest disk to make room for the new one. It just so happens that the smallest disk is my 250GB drive with Windows 7 on board. What I want to do is migrate my entire 250GB System partition to the 500GB disk, and resize the partition to fit.

Can I non-destructively do this or will I have to reinstall my OS?

Azio on

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unless Windows has a disc clone option, you'll have to reinstall and back up your programs

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    7 does have a (reportedly) improved backup utility built-in but I don't know if it will do the job

Azio on
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    use Ghost to clone the install to the new disc.

logic7 on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I recently upgraded my laptop HD from 80 to 500 gb without reinstalling vista. I cloned the partition to the new disk in an external enclosure and then swapped them.

It didn't work immediatly, but using my Vista DVD to repair my installation made everything hunky-dory. I don't remember what utility I used to clone the partition but it was free and used a bootable CD.

Saved me a ton of time in the upgrade, and I had the old drive as a backup in case things went horribly wrong.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aside Norton Ghost, check out Acronis products (http://www.acronis.com/).

They offer a free trial.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Using Acronis TrueImage because fuck Symantec. Will report back.

e: worked like a charm, thanks guys

Azio on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    fshavlak on