As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Treadmill stops moving when I get on it

XenoXeno Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys.

I'm having a problem with my treadmill. The computer functions work fine and the motor runs the belt. The problem is that when we step on the treadmill, it stops. Its almost like the motor cant handle the weight or something and it begins squeaking and stuttering.

We had the treadmill for a few years already. We used to be able to literally stand on the treadmill and the belt would carry us. (We wouldnt do this, just showing you guys the power of the treadmill).

But yesterday, it just fucked up for some reason. For example, now if I stand on the treadmill, it will literally stop and begin making this high pitched noise. Walking on it does nothing either. As soon as you put any pressure on the belt, it'll stop, and begin stuttering, making exercising, impossible.

I lubricated the belt but that didn't do anything. I also tightened the belt and also loosened it, but that didnt seem to do much. We tightened/loosened the belt by 2 whole turns. Thats enough right?

Also, it's not that I'm too heavy or anything. My mother whose 150 is having the same problem when she steps on.

Any ideas what you guys might think it is?

We opened the front panel, and we saw the motor and attached to it was this small belt. Could that belt be the problem? Not enough friction? When I step on the treadmill, the small belt will literally stop and not move. Thats when the high pitched noise comes from I'm guessing.

Xeno on

• Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    sounds like the motor's shot. is there a machine repair shop anywhere near you?

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It could just be the little belt is shot.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have you ever adjusted the tension on the treadmill? It sounds like you just need to tighten up the belt tension. Do you have the manual for it? Directions on how to adjust the belt tension will be in the manual.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    something is slipping under load.

that means to me that your gears/belt/linkage connecting the motor to the running surface needs to be replaced. you may have to take it apart a little bit to look and see whats slipping.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Yes, we adjusted the belt tension. The odd thing is that one day its ok, the next its not. We adjusted and no luck.

-We did open the front cover. We saw the motor, attached to the little belt, and the little belt was attached to the roller which the large tread was wrapped around. When no on is one the treadmill, everything seems to run fine. We put it on max speed, and it ran fine with no problems. As soon as a little pressure is applied, it comes to a halt. Thats why I'm not sure if its the motor.

-We HOPE its the little belt. That seems like its the easiest/cheapest thing to replace.

Xeno on