As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Daredevil Worth Reading

TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Graphic Violence
Hey. Always been a Miller fan, just picked up Daredevil: The Man Without Fear, and I'm wondering which trade paperback to pick up next. I want a really quality story, and maybe some compelling art. I'm thinking Frank Miller Visionaries 1-3, but I'm not sure. Don't want to waste a bunch of cash. Help me out, guys, and recommend some quality Daredevil TPBs.

Tylerbroor on

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This is going to be repeated quite a few times in this thread, but the latest run of Daredevil (currently around issue 90 I think) is amazing from issue 1. Pick up those TPBs starting from volume 1 (and I believe they are being released in hardcover as well? I love Hardcovers.)

Sharp101 on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    the bendis run was great and everybody was like 'this is the best daredevil has been, maybe ever' and then brubaker started his run and just blew bendis out of the water

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    They've been releasing Daredevil in oversized hardcovers for the past few years. Start with Volume 2 and keep going from there. It's been fantastic.

deadonthestreet on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    if you're asking specifically about Miller's run on the book, yes, it's worth buying. It's Miller's best work for hire stuff ever. even better than batman: year one.

Conditional_Axe on
  • RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kevin Smith's story was so-so. He got overly preachy and patronising to whoever didn't share his views ("Matt: I don't think I believe in God anymore." Mrs Murdoch:"Oh Matt. You're too old for that"). But anything after that is absolute gold. Bendis really works best on street level heroes and this is his defniative work. Ult. Spidey may be his baby, but this will always be his best.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sorry to be a dunce, but what's the actual name of the brubaker/latest run? As in, what do I type into amazon or call into my local comic shop? Thanks, guys.

Tylerbroor on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You can actually search by writer on Amazon, can't you?

robosagogo on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It appears such a thing is possible.

DouglasDanger on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    They've been releasing Daredevil in oversized hardcovers for the past few years. Start with Volume 2 and keep going from there. It's been fantastic.

Volume 2 is out of print.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Tylerbroor wrote:
    Sorry to be a dunce, but what's the actual name of the brubaker/latest run? As in, what do I type into amazon or call into my local comic shop? Thanks, guys.

'the devil, inside and out'

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2006

I totally just ordered a new copy for $17 a few weeks back from mile High Comics.

deadonthestreet on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tylerbroor wrote:

You are gonna want to start with the Bendis run.. Brubaker's story extends from where Bendis left off.. it's not really a jumping on point, it's a straight on extension of what Bendis was doing.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man, Daredevil: Father was pretty depressing.

[spoiler:58a2020ec4] Apparently the old man Matt saved, the act that cost him his sight, molested his daughter and made her crazy and a serial killer.[/spoiler:58a2020ec4]

Bloods End on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006

I totally just ordered a new copy for $17 a few weeks back from mile High Comics.

I wish I could!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Man, Daredevil: Father was pretty depressing.

[spoiler:202f037a92] Apparently the old man Matt saved, the act that cost him his sight, molested his daughter and made her crazy and a serial killer.[/spoiler:202f037a92]

well jeez i didn't need to know that

:(

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is FM's Elektra stuff any good? Basically I have 60 or so bucks burning a hole in my pocket, and I want to get a nice set of TPBs. I was thinking maybe FM visionaries 1 and 2 and then Elektra lives? I've heard mixed thoughts on the visionary stuff, but I really do love Miller...

Tylerbroor on
    edited December 2006
    visionaries vol 2 is definitely worth getting. vol 1, miller actually wasn't doing any of the writing, he was only pencils. vol 2 is where he takes over writing duties and where it turns into a real story. it's got all the original elektra/bullseye stuff and is just fantastic. if you're a nut for his art in that era, pick up 1, but the writing is by and large just b level marvel superhero work.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tylerbroor wrote:
    Is FM's Elektra stuff any good? Basically I have 60 or so bucks burning a hole in my pocket, and I want to get a nice set of TPBs. I was thinking maybe FM visionaries 1 and 2 and then Elektra lives? I've heard mixed thoughts on the visionary stuff, but I really do love Miller...

Not Daredevil, but Electra: Assassin is a great TPB. It's crazy, it's way over the top, and it's classic Miller. It's also some really cool and crazy art. I recommend it, but I imagine it's not everyone's taste.

The Visionaries collections of Miller's initial Daredevil run are excellent.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Holiday shopping/gifts have left me with some Daredevil:

I loved Daredevil:Yellow.

I picked up the first trade of Brubaker's Daredevil, but I've decided to hold off on it until the end of the week (going into the city, so I hope I can grab the Bendis trades before I read the Brubakers)

Got the trade of Smith's run, and I enjoyed it. I agree with the above post that it got a bit preachy, but I thought it worked well within the story.

Daredevil is shaping up to becoming a character I really like.

Skullo on
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Elektra: Assassin was amazing. I'd have to say it's my second favorite of Miller's work after TDNR and Bill Sienkiewicz's art is incredible. Easily one of my favorite graphic novels of all time.

JWFokker on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Stay away from the Bendis stuff. It's terrible. Also avoid the Kevin Smith run.

Algertman on
    edited December 2006
    Algertman wrote:
    Stay away from the Bendis stuff. It's terrible.
    I think your confused.

Bendis wrote the best Daredevil run ever.

deadonthestreet on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Algertman wrote:
    Stay away from the Bendis stuff. It's terrible.
    I think your confused.

Bendis wrote the best Daredevil run ever.

Remember, comics exsisted prior to Bendis working for comics. I know, sit down, it's a shocker

Algertman on