Options

Automata

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Very underwhelming.

Like I said when the vote came up for which comic to do in the first place, Automata is not an idea that you can do justice to in a mere six pages.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I loved the last panel.

He's like Bender, but sad about it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    Very underwhelming.

Like I said when the vote came up for which comic to do in the first place, Automata is not an idea that you can do justice to in a mere six pages.

Maybe not, but assuming they'd need to do a pilot run before committing themselves to a full-length project, I'd rather see a six-page test with possible follow-up than nothing at all.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I loved the last panel.

How can you tell if he's sad?

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Very underwhelming.

Maybe not, but assuming they'd need to do a pilot run before committing themselves to a full-length project, I'd rather see a six-page test with possible follow-up than nothing at all.

Assuming.

Except they're not.

And even if they were, it was still underwhelming.

Dac on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Except they've both said multiple times that they'd like to develop this further.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Very underwhelming.

Fortunately there are an abundance of readers who disagree with you.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brian888 wrote: »
    I loved the last panel.

Subtle curvature of the mouth, posture, dilapidated appearance of the room, and general tone of the strip. I definitely picked up on the sad vibe, Durandal.

Nucker on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nucker wrote: »
    I loved the last panel.

Subtle curvature of the mouth, posture, dilapidated appearance of the room, and general tone of the strip. I definitely picked up on the sad vibe, Durandal.

but what's really sad is that the robot can't feel sad. cause he's a robot.

NotYou on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Why not make Automata a yearly event, like the Cardboard Tube Samurai or Twisp & Catsby?

Doesn't have to be a full story, just a glimpse into their world. If they really wanted to tell an overall plot, maybe they should shoot for an episodic game? They're going to have three under their belt so far, so they've got some experience.

I think after Precipice an Automata game would be neat. Point and click ftw and all that.

I'd prefer a graphic novel but telltale's success has proven that episodic games in that genre would also be acceptable as they still get the story across.

Except it looks like the Precipice games are dead, so PA's partnership with Hothead may be at an end.

(Mike and Jerry said at comic-con that the progress of the third game could be summed up in one word: "limbo")

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NotYou wrote: »
    Nucker wrote: »
    I loved the last panel.

increasingly agitated.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Why not make Automata a yearly event, like the Cardboard Tube Samurai or Twisp & Catsby?

Doesn't have to be a full story, just a glimpse into their world. If they really wanted to tell an overall plot, maybe they should shoot for an episodic game? They're going to have three under their belt so far, so they've got some experience.

I think after Precipice an Automata game would be neat. Point and click ftw and all that.

I'd prefer a graphic novel but telltale's success has proven that episodic games in that genre would also be acceptable as they still get the story across.

Except it looks like the Precipice games are dead, so PA's partnership with Hothead may be at an end.

(Mike and Jerry said at comic-con that the progress of the third game could be summed up in one word: "limbo")

That's actually good news. Hothead doesn't make fun games. They made generic games that Mike and Jerry made passable.

If a theoretical Automata game got picked up by say Telltale( who I coincidentally love) that would be like Nerd Kwanza for me.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    bisforbusinessbisforbusiness Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    i'd like to see an automata t-shirt. just a closeup of carl, leaning forward in the rain, with the text 'I am host to an autonomous process which has, as its aim, your death.' underneath. any color but black; i hate black t-shirts.

bisforbusiness on
  • Options
    BobDobolinaBobDobolina Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Overall, I thought it was pretty good given the space they had to work with. The action sequence got very confusing -- would have been better off sticking to the moody noir character stuff -- and I needed Gabriel's explanation to figure out what was supposed to be happening when Carl abruptly walks in front of the car.

But it's got promise. The mood is spot-on, and some of the touches are genius, like the name of the Swangee Corporation (echoing Al Jolson's old "Swanee" act, with everything it evokes). They just don't have as much practice with this kind of storytelling; it's a lot different from, and a lot harder than, riffing on a running-joke-gone-to-extremes like the CTS. This sequence makes me believe that with more time, and more space, they could pull off something longer with this idea and that it would be worth shelling out some simoleons for. Well done Tycho and Gabe.

BobDobolina on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There was a post by G and or T that said making games is just too exhausting. I doubt they'll do another one.

I didn't know that about episode 3, though.

Carl is a feelin' robot. That's sorta a big thing to the story..

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Æthelred wrote: »

Carl is a feelin' robot. That's sorta a big thing to the story..

Nah, it's about a robot that was programmed to emote in a very small manner so that humans would feel more comfortable around it, and about how humans react to this unfeeling piece of metal that pretends to feel.

NotYou on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What are you talking about? He's sentient. He feels agitated. He wastes time talking about the weather.

Carl feels.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Whether he's "actually" feeling or "programmed to pretend to feel" is irrelevant if they produce the same end result, which apparently they do. The effect of his being programmed to pretend friendship, so flawlessly as to reproduce actual friendship (as with his gumshoe buddy in the strip) would be indistinguishable from the real thing.

BobDobolina on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    What are you talking about? He's sentient. He feels agitated. He wastes time talking about the weather.

Carl feels.

All an act I'm afraid. How could a machine possibly have feelings? Nonsense in the extreme.

It is an interesting story about an old cop who becomes emotionally attached to an inanimate object despite his misgivings about such a thing. Much like those people who fall in love with their anime dolls in real life.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    All an act I'm afraid. How could a machine possibly have feelings? Nonsense in the extreme.
    O_o

Because...

Quid on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Carl feels.

Only very briefly.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    O_o

Because...

Apparently he is the God of Automata, rather than Tycho.

20090612.jpg

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No moniker, you see, he's pretending. Robots can't have feelings. That's crazy talk. That only happens in works of fiction.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    NotYou is a 'bot pretending to be a skeptical human. Or at least, that's how I choose to read him.

BobDobolina on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Very underwhelming.

Fortunately there are an abundance of readers who disagree with you.

I'm very sorry for holding a different opinion.

What can I do to make it up to you?

Dac on
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't find this very interesting. The style was cool and I appreciated the work that went into it, but there didn't seem to be much story there for me. The two main characters didn't feel like much more than stereotypes.

This on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Quite frankly, they knew when they started this that they were only doing 6 pages, and should have tried to tell a story that would have worked in those 6 pages. This was not that story.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the stereotypical 1920s android

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Quite frankly, they knew when they started this that they were only doing 6 pages, and should have tried to tell a story that would have worked in those 6 pages. This was not that story.

There are only so many people who can tell a good story in six pages of large comic panels.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2009
    This wasn't really meant to be a story so much as a prologue with some character development.

As that, it worked quite well.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aye. Once I read thet last panel, I was happier with the whole thing.

It was less a "Solve these murders" crime story, and more like a short story about this world. More setting up the atmosphere then anything.

shryke on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    More setting up the atmosphere then anything.

This. I thought they did a great job giving a feel for the world. The setting had a a lot of texture to it, the characters almost seemed secondary, like they were just part of the scene. You still empathized with them, but to a certain extent it wasn't about them, they were just there to highlight elements of the setting.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Exarch wrote: »

This. I thought they did a great job giving a feel for the world. The setting had a a lot of texture to it, the characters almost seemed secondary, like they were just part of the scene. You still empathized with them, but to a certain extent it wasn't about them, they were just there to highlight elements of the setting.

It was, essentially, a prologue.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

For...?

_J_ on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

For...?
    The longer story they said they'd like to do if they can ever come up with the time for it. Same as Lookouts.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

For...?
    The longer story they said they'd like to do if they can ever come up with the time for it. Same as Lookouts.

Pilot Episode is another way to look at it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2009

For...?

Next step: Submit it to Fox, so they can be told it needs more tits.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like the idea that this was a glimpse in the world, a teaser rather, with no construction like a story. It is a clever way to make me hunger for more.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

For...?

Next step: Submit it to Fox, so they can be told it needs more tits/motocycle chases/train hijacks.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

For...?

Next step: Submit it to Fox, so they can be told it needs more tits.

Well, having more tits wouldn't hurt...

moniker on