As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Caring for an older cat...

milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just found out that the cat I grew up with and still see on a regular basis (she's around 13 years old) is causing some allergy problems with my Mom and quite a few of the people/family she has over there. She really doesn't want to get rid of her, so I offered to take the cat, Cuddles, into my 1BR apartment of about 800 square feet.

I'm really excited to have my cat back (she was for all intents and purposes "my" cat growing up) but knowing that she's getting older, I'm wondering if there's anything I need to keep my eye on, special food, adapting her to a new (and smaller) home...I'm going to get a brush and some lint rollers today but figured I'd seek out advice from you guys.

And as is always necessary in a cat thread...Pics of said kitty a few years ago @ Christmas.

12-15-05024.jpg

cat.jpg

milehigh on

• Options
    Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    awww kitty <3

What kind of food is she getting now? Try to feed her the same stuff (diet changes can cause puking as the cat gets used to the new food). If her current food isn't that great, do a gradual switchover to some better stuff. Things to take into account: how are her teeth? does she have any dietary issues? how is her general health? Some folks around here have a list of cat food from greatest to crappiest, maybe someone will come along and post it.

Since the cat is already familiar with you, hopefully she won't find it too hard to adapt to your place. If she freaks out, you might find it helpful to confine her to a room for a few days, if possible. If she has some favorite toys, make them available to her.

Caramel Genocide on
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That cat might take a day or two to adjust but since your smell will be everywhere, it won't be that hard. Maybe try to be there the entire day or two? Also, 13 isnt outrageously old for a cat so you've probably got a couple of years before you have to worry about her health.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Here's the good -> shitty list that was mentioned. I didn't create it, it's from another site:

Ultra Premium (regular)
    Solid Gold
    Innova
    California Natural
    Nature's Variety Prairie
    Natural Balance
    Wellness
    Evanger's (makes only wet) (NOT the vegetarian formula, duh.)
    Tiki Cat (makes only wet)
    Wysong (wet)

Ultra Premium (grain-free)
    Innova EVO
    Before Grain (B.G.), made by Merrick
    Now! Grain Free
    Wellness CORE
    Nature's Variety Instinct
    Taste of the Wild

Premium
    Chicken Soup
    Blue Buffalo
    Merrick (wet)
    Pet Promise (wet)
    Newman's Own Organics
    Felidae
    Diamond Naturals (dry)

Good
    Eagle Pack
    Royal Canin
    Wysong (dry)

Acceptable
    Iams
    Science Diet
    Eukanuba
    Purina One
    Pet Promise (dry)
    Diamond
    Nutro
    Trader Joe's
    Whole Paws

Horrid
    Fancy Feast
    Sheba
    Cat Chow
    Whiskas
    Meow Mix
    Special Kitty, or whatever Wal-Mart calls its house brand
    Store Brands
    Anything that includes the words "meat" or "animal" in its ingredients list

Wellness doesn't seem to be that tasty, that is, a higher percentage of cats don't prefer it so maybe try something else first if you are able to afford something in that tier. As previously mentioned, take it slow with introducing new food starting with a tiny handful amongst regular food. I usually do a transition over a week because I have iron stomach cats but probably 2 weeks is a good time frame for slow transition for an older cat that recently moved.

Teeth are one thing mentioned already. Dry food or raw food diets are generally good for keeping the teeth cleaner (raw food is not canned, its like serious raw chewing a carcass raw). Canned wet food is good moisture for cats but is more expensive to feed (good brands that is) and may contribute to teeth rot if the cat isn't getting dry as well. Although I hear this may be something vets feel on the fence about. See if your cat has bad breath or trouble eating dry, hard foods. If so it might be a teeth issue. You could ask the vet the cat saw at their last checkup too if your parents don't remember. And if the cat's last checkup date was "Oh I don't remember he's been fine for so long" then please, take your cat to the vet at your next convenience.

Hydration is important for all cats, and older cats particularly. A lot of older cats develop crystals due to poor food, dehydration and other unknown causes in life. To minimize your risk, simply provide lots of frequently-refreshed cold water, some cats even love those running fountains that run about $20. Also, consider some high quality canned food in addition to an existing diet of dry food which I assume you'll be using already. You can simply feed the canned separately, I personally underfeed the recommended can dosage and slightly adjust the dry food, that way my wet food loving boycat still has to eat some dry food to stay satisfied. In hot weather you can make sure your cat is staying hydrated by grasping the skin at the back of their neck and pull up before letting go, if it retracts to normal quickly the cat is fine, if the skin is slow to retract the cat is dehydrated and needs attention right away.

Generally though, it's business as usual for older and younger cats. Scoop litter daily or more, feed them as well as you can afford, encourage them to drink water, use a good vet for a yearly checkup, love them and pay them attention.

onceling on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    just bring over everything she has at your parents house. she is 13 why change anything up at this point?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mts wrote: »
    just bring over everything she has at your parents house. she is 13 why change anything up at this point?

Yeah, this is my general logic at this point. I'm picking her up tonight in addition to all her stuff (food, litter box, toys, etc)

The only thing I'm looking to change oddly enough is her litter box. Forever she's used a covered box, but the ideal location in my place will not accommodate the box with the top part, so I'm going to take the cover off and hope she doesn't object too much.

In any case there's a lot of good info here, and I did find out via her papers that she is in fact 15 and not 13, and due for a vet visit at the end of August. I'm pretty sure my Mom's only bought the generic cat food, so perhaps I'll start moving her to something more beneficial once she gets settled.

In any case thanks for all the replies and I'll continue to monitor this thread as it's helped a lot up to this point. I'm getting pretty excited to have my cat to come home to from now on :lol:

milehigh on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    milehigh wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

Yeah, this is my general logic at this point. I'm picking her up tonight in addition to all her stuff (food, litter box, toys, etc)

The only thing I'm looking to change oddly enough is her litter box. Forever she's used a covered box, but the ideal location in my place will not accommodate the box with the top part, so I'm going to take the cover off and hope she doesn't object too much.

In any case there's a lot of good info here, and I did find out via her papers that she is in fact 15 and not 13, and due for a vet visit at the end of August. I'm pretty sure my Mom's only bought the generic cat food, so perhaps I'll start moving her to something more beneficial once she gets settled.

In any case thanks for all the replies and I'll continue to monitor this thread as it's helped a lot up to this point. I'm getting pretty excited to have my cat to come home to from now on :lol:

be aware that some cats are really particullar about their boxes. your lady might be fine but jsut an FYI. you can always do what i did and modify a cabinet to keep it out in the open only less obtrusively

mts on
    camo_sig.png